The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Re-sign Roy now, in a week, or after playoffs?

CHIPS

Nonesense! MG should meet him at YVR with an 8-year, $48M contract extension. Roy scored 81 points in Buffalo in 07/08. Vancouver has 30% more points than Buffalo in 12/13. Science tells us that Roy will register 105 points as a 3C Canuck in 13/14.

The only necessary moves after that will be to sign another $5M goalie and two more $4M defensemen, because you can never have too many of those. :)

he is in a beautiful position to make this a very legit question after this playoff run. IF roy can develop chemistry and produce in the short time we have him i can see him playing himself on to this team as he has a unique skill set that could really help our current roster.

the next 12 games and whatever playoff we earn will let us know if it will work or not.

healthy kessler and a health roy will definatly help open up ice for the sedin unit

I would hope se could re-sign him after the playoffs. I want tonse how he's capable of playing in the playoffs before throwing bigger money at him.

Another problem with signing him is that he might not fit with the new cap hit.

And the last problem with paying him even more. He's a top 6 forward, and we already have Kesler and Sedin. Paying that much for someone on the third line is something I find ridiculusly stupid.

First of all, before we even talk about resigning, you should know that as of today, there is not enough cap space. Next season's salary cap will be $64.3M and the team's payroll is at $62.03M.

$2M to resign Derek Roy, Tanev, and maybe Mason Raymond? hahaha.

Okay here's my theory...

David Booth obviously hasnt lived up to the 20-30 goal scorer that MG expected him to. Putting up 3 points in 12 games is definately not 2nd line numbers & he is lacking consistency. He and Roy have very similar salaries (Booth-$4.2M, Roy-$4M). Roy's numbers have been consistent every year and 499 points in 579 games is very good 2nd line numbers.

Keith Ballard hasn't done much for the team and is not worth $4.2M. That's all im going to say about him.

Im sure that a Luongo deal will be done in the summer so that also gives us an extra $5.3M in cap space.

So putting the numbers together, the Canucks & MG have $13.7M in cap space by dealing just those 3 players. That $13.7M will be enough to hopefully resign Roy, Tanev, Raymond (maybe), and a couple of key players

Like your theory.I think anybody that takes on Luongo may want to shed some salary in return.

Problem with dumping players and their salaries is that the owner has to eat the salary.

Great for CDC but it is the owner's money and he may not be so enamored with a ten million dollar payout/loss.

If he's gonna be playing as our 3rd line center, he will not re-sign here.. Simple as that, unless we can move Kes to the wing- also there will be others that become available in the off season, it really depends on how well he fits in or does during his time here. So not till after the season is over imo. Lastly I think he will want to be paid too much salary, which with the current cap situation will become too much of a problem. He'll probably walk in the end, which is fine, there's plenty of fish in the sea.

I think u wait untill after the playoffs....

use the motivation of a contract to get every last drop out of him... see what you have, what holes you want to fill.... and then begin negotiating. I imagine that if he likes the city and his teammates, while providing a solid contribution, theyll find a way to get it done after the season.

I think we should re-sign him and put him centering Kesler. He's a nipty passer and would look sick with Kesler. And with Raymond probably walking or being traded, we should acquire a 3C. Or possibly give Gaunce a shot? The cap is going down so we have to give players chances.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-A.Burrows

C.Higgins-D.Roy-R.Kesler

J.Hansen-B.Gaunce-Z.Kassian

S.Pinizotto-M.Lapierre-D.Weise

Even though in recent years he gets 2nd line minutes and has at times put up 2nd line points, Kesler at one point was hands down the best '3rd line' center in the league. Meaning he can and has contained the best lines in the league for years.

He earned 2nd line status with a couple great seasons and 1 great playoff.

Now that Roy is here it is a 2a 2b scenario.

An enviable situation.

With the Canucks' situation at C, Kesler will now be able to play more of a shut down role for atleast this season and playoffs. He made his name in this now familiar role, and I believe is going to excel in it again.

This being said, I want to see the whole team effect of the 2a 2b leading into the offseason before re-signing Roy.

Archived