The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] The Aftermath<- Deals that didnt occur

Both Burke and now Nonis are allowing hurt feelings affect how they deal, or don't deal, with the Vancouver organization. Burke never had a kind word regarding the Canucks and even behaved unprofessionally: leaking names Vancouver had offered in a trade.

It appears Nonis is following, putting his ego above his team's success.

Scrivens and a 2nd for Lu is a steal. I'm happy that didn't happen, and would rather have both our goalies for the playoffs. That's besides the point.

Does Nonis really not see how much better Lu instantly makes his playoff starved team. Even if he lost Kadri, or Gardiner, or Lupil or any of his top players? Lu gets them 30 wins per year and into the post season, something needed very badly in that sad sack market.

Instead, Nonis ends up being a pain wasting MG's time and might be able to gloat at his childish 'Win'.

History will be cruel to that behaviour.

The leafs will flop, once again, as soon as any meaningful games begin.

The Canucks will end up using Lu again this year, and he will shine. I imagine if he gets a sniff in the playoffs, he will play better than ever before.

Guess what? Nonis will be on his knees next year, begging for Lu. The price will skyrocket. T.O.'s media will print how Nonis blew it and I imagine his life will get a little tougher.

All because he can't grow up and do what's best for his team, not him.

I always find the 1-2 days after the deadline almost as intriguing or annoying as the time period of the deadline because thats when we find out what deals didnt occur

So my goal is to make this the thread where we can post stuff/ probably get more mad on how the Canucks F'ed up. Here are a couple of tidbits I found..

This ones per the twitter of Taj who is a popular Canucks twitter fan/ pretty close with the guys at The Province. The following is also in Jason Botchfords latest article obviously

Botchford also reported that the Canucks offer for Torres was a fourth and they made a run at Clarkson.

The following hasnt been widely reported yet but I know this for fact as I know a guy at the Sun and that is the Canucks were in on Goc and Fedetenko. Unfortunately, neither got dealt.

In terms of the rest of the league the most interesting one was Kipper. Calgary and Toronto had a deal that was done. However, Kipper did not want to go to Toronto. Sportsnet reported that on there main page.

There is more stuff out there and I hope to add more tonight/tomorrow as I am working on an essay but feel free to post stuff you found on net in terms of deals that almost went down but didnt.

Both Burke and now Nonis are allowing hurt feelings affect how they deal, or don't deal, with the Vancouver organization. Burke never had a kind word regarding the Canucks and even behaved unprofessionally: leaking names Vancouver had offered in a trade.

It appears Nonis is following, putting his ego above his team's success.

Scrivens and a 2nd for Lu is a steal. I'm happy that didn't happen, and would rather have both our goalies for the playoffs. That's besides the point.

Does Nonis really not see how much better Lu instantly makes his playoff starved team. Even if he lost Kadri, or Gardiner, or Lupil or any of his top players? Lu gets them 30 wins per year and into the post season, something needed very badly in that sad sack market.

Instead, Nonis ends up being a pain wasting MG's time and might be able to gloat at his childish 'Win'.

History will be cruel to that behaviour.

The leafs will flop, once again, as soon as any meaningful games begin.

The Canucks will end up using Lu again this year, and he will shine. I imagine if he gets a sniff in the playoffs, he will play better than ever before.

Guess what? Nonis will be on his knees next year, begging for Lu. The price will skyrocket. T.O.'s media will print how Nonis blew it and I imagine his life will get a little tougher.

All because he can't grow up and do what's best for his team, not him.

Any idea whether the Canucks were offering Lu for Clarkson (with other pieces involved)?

I'm curious whether the Devils might be a dark horse trading partner in the offseason. Brodeur has one year left on his contract, as does Johan Hedberg (who was a backup with the Canucks a few years ago).

The Devils don't have a ton of pieces to offer and they have A LOT of UFA's next summer but they also have $26M in cap room. After signing guys like Henrique and Loktionov, they'll still have lots of cap room. I can't see guys like Zubrus and Sullivan returning. I assume Elias will re-sign but not at the $6M he's currently making.

IMO Gillis should've gone hard after Jared Boll, although he probably would've had to overpay, given that Columbus loves him and they're in the playoff hunt. But imagine a fourth line of Boll-Lapierre-Weise. That would be one of the best in the league for sure.

seeing what Ben Bishop fetched, I would imagine what the return would be for Schneider. I say keep Luongo, cuz we ain't getting fair value for the guy, and it is not that Luongo sucks or anything, he can still play.

1. Trade Schneider, keep Luongo, draft a high goalie prospect this coming draft, groom that guy behind lack, let's see what happens in 3-4 years. These 3-4 years, Luongo will be fine.

2. Schneider, if we keep him, will need a new contract after the next 2 seasons, and will likely command Lu like money. And guess what, he would be like 29 years old, and de-ja-vu just like Luongo again asking for a long-term high priced contract.

UH - Hey folks...none of us are even discussin' the obvious here. Expansion will happen. Wouldn't Quebec City's new arena complex get a great kick-off in their "return-to-the-NHL" if Luongo was secured as their starter? I heard 2014 was the projected completion date for that project....is this TRUE? Just askin'. Anyone's who's got Luongo by then & can't keep him...could easily flip him to the new team in his home province. Lu would approve of that - right? It's only next season's blasted "low-ball CAP" that provides the stumbling block...JUST as Burkie planned when he helped to concoct this thing for the league, And - all for to the potential benefit of the Leafs ...& their now-default-GM...Dave Nonis.

Keep Lu ANOTHER year if ya have to MG. Especially if NO firmer offers arrive. We'll be swell in 36 months. But tradin' him to..Toronto?? My vote....N-E-V-E-R!!!

Any idea whether the Canucks were offering Lu for Clarkson (with other pieces involved)?

I'm curious whether the Devils might be a dark horse trading partner in the offseason. Brodeur has one year left on his contract, as does Johan Hedberg (who was a backup with the Canucks a few years ago).

The Devils don't have a ton of pieces to offer and they have A LOT of UFA's next summer but they also have $26M in cap room. After signing guys like Henrique and Loktionov, they'll still have lots of cap room. I can't see guys like Zubrus and Sullivan returning. I assume Elias will re-sign but not at the $6M he's currently making.

I don't believe Scrivens and 2x 2nd rnd picks was the final price although that has been reported by many sources. In no way does that trade make us better for this seasons playoffs. If anything that could be an offseason move. Unless there is a piece missing Kulemin or C Mac...... someone who could actually play for us this year.

I don't like how Dreger told everyone that Gillis called a bunch of times practically begging for Nonis to take Luongo.. Even if that actually happened, he shouldn't have said it like that..

"Canucks called at 2pm...made a trade offer, Tor declined. Van called at 2:30 with 2nd offer, Tor declined...3rd offer at 2:45pm...decline."

Canucks fans still believe Mike Gillis was offered to give away Luongo?

Give your heads a shake. That never happened. Dregger was trolling Vancouver in hopes that Mike gillis will lose negotiating power in the summer. Do you honestly think MIke Gillis will make this trade? No!

Going from Luongo to Scrivens is a downgrade! he wouldn't do this. Unless he had plans with the 2 2nd round picks, Darren Dregger was helping the Leafs troll Vancouver.

Mike gillis never made this offer.

"I don't believe Scrivens and 2x 2nd rnd picks was the final price although that has been reported by many sources."

the day after 1040 reported the exact opposite and how that was Nonis's final offer for Luongo. It seems like we alwasy get trolled by media freaks in the east. They believe everything Dregger says.

Devils would be more inclined to make a pitch for Schneider. They have always been really high on Schneids...since Cory stoned 'em in their building. Devils' players have remarked numerous times in the media about how Cory is emerging as a potential franchise player/goalie. Luongo to the Devils...seems LESS likely.

But - with possible expansion into Quebec City and/or another team in the lucrative Ontario market ...movin' Lou there could be an easy-out for NJ to take if they acquire him. Lu would certainly agree to be moved to "La Belle Province" - you would think And -in 3 or 4 years time the goin' rate for a top-flight-goalie will be well over 5+ million. I agree with an earlier poster... Luongo will linger on & stay playing as one of the great net-minders in this league...but when he doesn't feel he can START (anywhere)...he'll proudly hang 'em up.

IF not to FLA...maybe Lu is truly the wise-bet-goalie for some expansion team...especially with his leadership qualities. Then he can carry-on "SCREWIN'" up the aspirations of those damned Leafs! LOL!

seeing what Ben Bishop fetched, I would imagine what the return would be for Schneider. I say keep Luongo, cuz we ain't getting fair value for the guy, and it is not that Luongo sucks or anything, he can still play.

1. Trade Schneider, keep Luongo, draft a high goalie prospect this coming draft, groom that guy behind lack, let's see what happens in 3-4 years. These 3-4 years, Luongo will be fine.

2. Schneider, if we keep him, will need a new contract after the next 2 seasons, and will likely command Lu like money. And guess what, he would be like 29 years old, and de-ja-vu just like Luongo again asking for a long-term high priced contract.

I love the city of Toronto. Awesome city. But the Leafs are a bunch of wankers. Shafting Gillis I understand, the bad blood, but Luongo?

Looks to me..they could really use his help right now, what with James "I Love Shootouts" Reimer doing so well.

We're going one way in the standings, they the opposite.

Those silly Lafes, and the Burkian Lickspittle Dave Nonis. How long before he follows him to Anaheim?

The team ain't all that bad, but if we met in the Finals, it would be a severe ass-kicking. It would be a sweep. Guaranteed. Vancouver would feast on the pathetic carcass of Toronto.

Well rumour has it that if Gillis DID get those 2- 2nd picks from Toronto, he had a deal in place to flip those picks... To who and what for? Only Gillis knows, but maybe 2-2nds gets us a Fleischman or a Clarkson or both. Suddenly Lou to Toronto for Scrivens and 2-2nds doesnt look too bad after all. Suddenly Gillis supposedly sounding desperate to make THAT deal go down seems understandable.

Here is to hoping that Double Cheesburger eatin Nonis' team gets lit up in the first round...... Coulda had a bonafide netminder....

Archived