The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] The Aftermath<- Deals that didnt occur

I don't like how Dreger told everyone that Gillis called a bunch of times practically begging for Nonis to take Luongo.. Even if that actually happened, he shouldn't have said it like that..

"Canucks called at 2pm...made a trade offer, Tor declined. Van called at 2:30 with 2nd offer, Tor declined...3rd offer at 2:45pm...decline."

I don't like how Dreger told everyone that Gillis called a bunch of times practically begging for Nonis to take Luongo.. Even if that actually happened, he shouldn't have said it like that..

"Canucks called at 2pm...made a trade offer, Tor declined. Van called at 2:30 with 2nd offer, Tor declined...3rd offer at 2:45pm...decline."

absolutely. It seems very unprofessional to dole out the particulars like that so soon after the fact. I don't dislike TO but now I really dislike Nonis and management. if TO management thinks they are such hot crap, well I hope their goaltenders get lit up BIG TIME

Dave Nonis in good faith shouldn't have told the media what Gillis was offering. It just shot down his trade value and to an extent embarrases Mike Gillis. I can tell you right now, on this day foward, MIke Gillis will not talk trade with Nonis again.

Dreger is loser.

Long time troller, first time poster.

I liked the idea of this thread enough to post (after trolling since Trent Klatt was a Canuck) for the simple fact that its interesting how the dynamics of a team could have changed so drastically with a trade that didn't pan out.

But this thread has just turned into a giant Nonis bash. Someone should start an official "Why Nonis sucks!" thread if you want to continue with all this crap. I know this is CDC but come on.

The OP had a great idea and I for one would like to see this thread get back on track.

Nonis hates MG b/c he stole his job. Understandable sure. But burning bridges like that is highly unprofessional. When you have a GM (Nonis) that takes things personally and act unprofessionally, you know it won't end well.

And I thought Toronto ownership fired Burke because he refused to trade for Luongo.

I have a few insights.

First if you look at the nucks war room the TV was set on Sportsnet and not TSN. Dregs has sold his soul for scraps. I don't think most serious hockey fans pay much attention to him.

I don't believe that Nonis would say what Dregs said in relation to the nucks basically repeatedly begging - not his style. Dregs spun it that way or was fed to him by someone in the organization, but it was not Nonis nor accurate because that is not how you negotiate on either side.

Now what I thought was quite an amazing comment and I think an 'insider' comment was when Dregs said on TV that the leafs would only take him for 'free'. I don't think he was really exaggerating and i think the comment was probably very close to what someone high up in the organization told him. It seems if you look at all the interviews that the leafs were never really interested in trading for lu unless it was for some throw away pieces or picks. And Nonis was probably toying with them a bit.

Now another interesting thing said was from lu. When asked about saying NO before to a trade he said that he has never been asked to date and you have to take he is word on that. Yeah the soft goal but a very honest person. So there was never a deal that he said no to. I believe Maclean on sportsnet said this, and its wrong.

As for the goalie situation I think Nonis showed some poor judgement. I chuckled probably like many when he was going after kipper. When was the last time he watched him play? First most don't think the two guys they have now are legit starters. I agree with Garret when he says that in a shortened season an average goalie can look pretty good, but can they handle a 60-70 starts. I think unless the leafs upgrade next year then it will come back to haunt them.

As for lu and nucks. I think Gillis really tried to move him and it got to the point that they did come down a lot. I think people don't quite understand lu and what motivates him, that is clearly not money. He wants to while he is still in his prime be a starter. For those of you who think he is going to be playing in when he is late 30's or to the end you don't understand this guys mind. My guess he wants to be a started and go out as one. Once he loses that job then he isn't going to stick around and play back. So any team that took on lu would get some stellar tending for a number of years and once a better goalie came I would guess that if nobody wanted him as a starter that he would just hang them up. So his contact really isn't what people think it is.

Question: does anybody know whether teams can immediately re-sign players they buy-out? Potential scenario: Luongo is bought out in the off-season, then signs a short-term deal with the Canucks: say, 2 years, 6M per. The deal includes a limited NTC. Luongo signs the contract with the understanding he will be traded immediately. Is that allowed, and is it not too bonkers to try?

Archived