The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] The Aftermath<- Deals that didnt occur

Question: does anybody know whether teams can immediately re-sign players they buy-out? Potential scenario: Luongo is bought out in the off-season, then signs a short-term deal with the Canucks: say, 2 years, 6M per. The deal includes a limited NTC. Luongo signs the contract with the understanding he will be traded immediately. Is that allowed, and is it not too bonkers to try?

seeing what Ben Bishop fetched, I would imagine what the return would be for Schneider. I say keep Luongo, cuz we ain't getting fair value for the guy, and it is not that Luongo sucks or anything, he can still play.

1. Trade Schneider, keep Luongo, draft a high goalie prospect this coming draft, groom that guy behind lack, let's see what happens in 3-4 years. These 3-4 years, Luongo will be fine.

2. Schneider, if we keep him, will need a new contract after the next 2 seasons, and will likely command Lu like money. And guess what, he would be like 29 years old, and de-ja-vu just like Luongo again asking for a long-term high priced contract.

I honestly think we should keep Lu. He has ZERO trade value but is a top10 goalie in the league with a great cap hit.

Why give him away when goaltending is CLEARLY not the problem?

Trade Schneider as he has WAY more value and fewtch us a greater return

Iterms of production we are going to get very similar numbers from BOTH players.

I honestly think we should keep Lu. He has ZERO trade value but is a top10 goalie in the league with a great cap hit.

Why give him away when goaltending is CLEARLY not the problem?

Trade Schneider as he has WAY more value and fewtch us a greater return

Iterms of production we are going to get very similar numbers from BOTH players.

To get this discussion off the Luongo debate here is some stuff from Bruce Garrioch

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports the Capitals received offers for Mike Ribeiro but continue to talk contract with him and could get a four-year extension worked out…Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle’s name was “floated to the Flyers” early on deadline day but he didn’t move. Blueliner Derek Morris submitted his list of 8 teams to which he’d accept a trade but didn’t move…Before the Blue Jackets landed Marian Gaborik, they pursued Tomas Fleischmann but the Panthers weren’t interested…The Sabres tried to move Drew Stafford, with the Devils, Canucks, Jets and Blue Jackets apparently having some interest…The Jets tried to move young forward Alexander Burmistov. The Sabres had some interest…The Flyers were interested in Ben Bishop but the Senators may have asked for Sean Couturier. Bishop was dealt to Tampa Bay for Cory Conacher and a pick…The Canucks tried and failed to land Raffi Torres…

absolutely. It seems very unprofessional to dole out the particulars like that so soon after the fact. I don't dislike TO but now I really dislike Nonis and management. if TO management thinks they are such hot crap, well I hope their goaltenders get lit up BIG TIME

I don't like how Dreger told everyone that Gillis called a bunch of times practically begging for Nonis to take Luongo.. Even if that actually happened, he shouldn't have said it like that..

"Canucks called at 2pm...made a trade offer, Tor declined. Van called at 2:30 with 2nd offer, Tor declined...3rd offer at 2:45pm...decline."

Dreger's a DOUCHEBAG. I hope the leafs don't make the playoffs and Numbnuts is replaced. He has done Jack since he took over the GM position. This guy is a total puppet. At least Burke was more of a man to make moves even though it might put his job in jepordy. Nonuts is a joke and so are the leafs..

I think the best result from all of this is that some of the bubble teams miss the postseason due to poor goaltending and some of the teams that make it, suffer the same fate. Then perhaps they might think a little harder about what their real needs are and pull the trigger on a deal for Louie.

Meanwhile, Lou is worth more to the Canucks for the balance of this season than Scrivens and a pair of picks.

I don't like how Dreger told everyone that Gillis called a bunch of times practically begging for Nonis to take Luongo.. Even if that actually happened, he shouldn't have said it like that..

"Canucks called at 2pm...made a trade offer, Tor declined. Van called at 2:30 with 2nd offer, Tor declined...3rd offer at 2:45pm...decline."

none of this talk should of got out in the open if it where true at all.... and honestly lu and the canucks should live with his contract. to ask the owner to buy out 28million ya won`t happen. i think and i don`t like it but all sounds like shneids will get traded.. and we have a disgruntled goalie on our hands witch could actually end up sinking this franchise or chasing the owner to sell the team... well i guess we have the draft and free agency to look forward to this......

Archived