The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**11 realistic Luongo off-season trade Destinations**

Remember each team will have 2 compliance buyouts permitted this summer so teams now that cant fit him under the cap will be able to after buyouts

in my professional fan opinion, there is no way Lu will be bought out, especially when its in the off season and we can ask for high draft picks instead of players that can help us ala deadline trades.

Philadelphia- Bryz will be bought out and Mason is nothing but a backup

Tampa Bay- Lecavalier will be bought out and bishop and lindback will not be enough in Tampa especially when ST Louis is getting older.

Toronto- I dont believe Reimer or Scrivens is their answer

Chicago- Crawford is running out of chances

Edmonton- All forwards- no defence or goalie

Penguins- Marc Andre fleury is over rated and will be the reason the Pens lose the cup this year

Washington- holtby and Neuvirth? i dont think so! mcphee is gonna be desperate to save his job after this post season

Phoenix- Mike Smith is a UFA

Buffalo- Ryan Miller looks to be done in Buff

New Jersey- Brodeur doesnt look the same

Jets- Not a fan of Pavlec (threw his team under the bus last night in an interview)

NYI- Charles Wang! Nabakov has been decent but this young Islander team is 1 elite goalie and 1 elite Dman away from being scary! Tavares is the best pure sniper in the game.

I think this is more optimistic, than realistic.

- I don't think we will trade him inside the division

- Tampa will go with Bishop to justify the stupid price they paid

- Pavelec has been the Jets MVP apparently, I don't see the reasoning behind getting a different goalie

- PHX will re-sign Mike Smith if they have the money, if not that would also take away the Lu possibility.

- Why would Buffalo trade away a veteran goaltending just to bring in another one?

There are more issues I see in some of them. Right now I think Philly is the new most likely, we will see though, I imagine if we drop the price to very little some teams would jump in and express interest, atleast if they were smart they would.

Remember each team will have 2 compliance buyouts permitted this summer so teams now that cant fit him under the cap will be able to after buyouts

in my professional fan opinion, there is no way Lu will be bought out, especially when its in the off season and we can ask for high draft picks instead of players that can help us ala deadline trades.

Philadelphia- Bryz will be bought out and Mason is nothing but a backup

possible

Tampa Bay- Lecavalier will be bought out and bishop and lindback will not be enough in Tampa especially when ST Louis is getting older.

Nope. Yzerman won't want another bad contract after getting rid of Lecavalier's

Toronto- I dont believe Reimer or Scrivens is their answer

They've played pretty well so far. Well enough to deseve another shot

Chicago- Crawford is running out of chances

Look at the standings

Edmonton- All forwards- no defence or goalie

Dubnyk hasn't had an opportunity to play behind an NHL quality D.

Penguins- Marc Andre fleury is over rated and will be the reason the Pens lose the cup this year

He's actually won a cup, and is perfectly serviceable.

Washington- holtby and Neuvirth? i dont think so! mcphee is gonna be desperate to save his job after this post season

Depends how they do in the playoffs

Phoenix- Mike Smith is a UFA

Contract is a huge issue for a team who doesn't have an owner

Buffalo- Ryan Miller looks to be done in Buff

Enroth may get a shot first.

New Jersey- Brodeur doesnt look the same

Still going to be the starter there until he hangs em up

Jets- Not a fan of Pavlec (threw his team under the bus last night in an interview)

He'll be there next year though

NYI- Charles Wang! Nabakov has been decent but this young Islander team is 1 elite goalie and 1 elite Dman away from being scary! Tavares is the best pure sniper in the game.

If he wants to stay, NYI will probably stick with him.

This playoffs will tell us a lot about our goalie situation. What happens if Lu plays like Quick in the playoffs. Do you keep him? Would his value go up?

It's a blessing in disguise that he didn't get traded at the deadline. His value is low and it almost sounded like we were desperate.

Lets hope Luongo plays amazing and with a chip on his shoulder and shows everyone back east that he's worth every penny.

The teams that are actualy possibly looking for a goalie are Philly, Buffalo, and Washington.

Keep in mind that, in that case, Bryzgalov (UFA), Miller (1 year left on contract), Bernier (young with potential to improve), and Hiller (1 year left on contract) would all be much less risky options than Luongo.

Put it this way people, the Canucks will trade Schneider before they buyout Luongo. There is no way Canucks will cut Luongo a massive check and let him just walk away without Canucks getting anything in return for him. If a goalie is going to leave town, Canucks will make sure they get some assets. Teams banking on Luongo getting boughtout and becoming a UFA will be disappointed.

While I agree Schneider would get the Canucks far more in return via trade, I still believe trading Lou is the better way to go even if we just get a 2nd round pick and top prospect back in return (below market value). Who knows, Gillis may even some how manage to fandangle a 1st round pick from a team at the Draft for him. Trading Schneider should only be a very last resort, if we wind up in training camp next Sept and Luongo is still around and there being no deal on the table worth considering then Gillis should go ahead and shop Schneids.

PHI - Bringing in Mason is interesting, I was skeptical of Snider buying out Bryz, but maybe. He'd look pretty good in orange, although their D is still rough..

TB - No. Two of the more highly regarded rookie goalies, they will play them until they have their starter.

TOR - No. Same as TB, they have made their decision, barring a complete meltdown by both goalies, but technically they got Ttoronto to the playoffs

Chi - Will never happen now, even their backup goalie is playing lights out.

Edm - I don't think we will see Lu in conference, would be too much bad blood.

Pitt - No. MAF and Vokoun can get it done, and if they can't MAF would never waive his NTC to leave a team with Crosby and Malkin.

Was - Not as high on Neuvirth and Holtby as some, I could see it happening, but it could become another Lu/Schneider issue 2-3 years down the road.

Phx - HUGE marketing opportunity if they move to Quebec, otherwise they will still be in our divison so not a good option. Love the prospect of Roberto Luongo of the Quebec Coyotes.

Buf - The owner has money, and have fallen out with Miller a bit, I see this as a dark horse opportunity. But will Lu want to go to a rebuilding team?

NYI - would be scary with Lu, his career coming full circle to the team he was drafted to, albeit a much better one than when he left.

NJ - Uncle Lu has too much respect for Marty to bring in another elite goalie while still under contract, if marty was retiring this year maybe but no, wont happen.

Win - I just don't see it happening, although the fans would treat him like a cat in Egypt, Pavolec is their man.

And of course Florida - Unless they feel the return of trading Markstrom would be worth losing him and bringing in Lu it won't happen, I'd love to see him happy in florida, but I just don't see it as a reasonable option.

My top 5

- NYI - No starter goalie or goalie in the wings.

- Was - Clearest upgrade over current rookies

- Phi - Depends on fallout with Bryz

- Phx - Depends on move to East

- Buf - Depends on future of Miller

Archived