The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eternal Optimist

CanadianAce

Call me the eternal optimist, but maybe, just maybe, there is a silver lining to what happened with the trade deadline and with the Canucks in general this year. Two years of the Presidents Trophy with two years of high expectations from not just us, but many around the NHL. 2011 was an "almost". 2012 was nothing short of a major letdown. 2013? I don't think a lot of people are picking us to make it past round 2, let alone round 1. We may just slip under the radar of many people, teams, and those who think they can predict the cup winners each and every year.

I look at this team and believe they have the talent to push very far, if not all the way. Kes coming back, Kass hopefully getting into some kind of form, the Sedins, Roy, and a few of our speed and grinder guys, not to mention a goaltending tandem most would drool over......not all is gloom and doom. If an 8th place LA Kings (who weren't supposed to make it out of the first round last year) can take home the cup....why shouldn't we expect it?

Optimistic? Yes. Hopeful? Of course. Far reaching? I don't think so. We may just be pleasantly surprised this year Nucks Nation.

I feel the same way... and surprised there aren't more threads like this popping up. Seriously, the expectactions among everyone, including fans, is low, and the team is not all that removed from the 2011 group. We've been injured in key forward positions all year. Once and if we get a healthy roster, who knows what could happen. And I don't mind having insurance in net. Luongo has very little pressure now, but at the same time, he wants to prove himself badly. This season is one big social experiment that could very well spell success, and if not, nobody was expecting much after the trade deadline anyway.

The biggest indication for me of how good this team can be is that we're looking at finishing 3rd or 4th in the conference. Despite injuries not just to guys who actually had to sit out like Raymond, Kass, Edler, Bieksa, Booth and Kesler, but also the guys who played through issues like Burrows, Bieksa, Kesler, Higginsand Hansen. I'm sure many others have been in more than a bit of pain this season as well.

When you look at a group of relatively few NHLers carrying the load of an entire team despite their own lesser injuries, it paints a pretty encouraging picture. That builds a battle level in the group which will drag a team to the cup even if there are unfortunate injuries. 2011 was too pretty for our own good and it bit us in the ass in the end. 2013 is dirty, ugly and gritty which is to our benefit.

YES! We will finally be seeing a full lineup soon with Kes and Kass returns (forget about Booth) and the biggest difference-maker (IMO) is our defence. Our D was atrocious for the better part of the year, but I really think that if they can play how they should be able to, we can really play some post season, low scoring hockey. Add that to our new pickup in Roy, along with aforementioned players returning from injury, and I think we may just surprise some people.

Trade deadline is over, the season is just getting interesting!!! Is Roy playing tomorrow?

YES! We will finally be seeing a full lineup soon with Kes and Kass returns (forget about Booth) and the biggest difference-maker (IMO) is our defence. Our D was atrocious for the better part of the year, but I really think that if they can play how they should be able to, we can really play some post season, low scoring hockey. Add that to our new pickup in Roy, along with aforementioned players returning from injury, and I think we may just surprise some people.

Trade deadline is over, the season is just getting interesting!!! Is Roy playing tomorrow?

Think about it like this, we're 4th in the West. We can take 3rd with a win tomorrow. We're still near the top of the conference. All without help from Kesler, Booth, Kassian (has been playing 4th line mins lately and sent to AHL), Called up Jensen, and got Roy for no roster players and a draft pick. I actually believe we are over-achieving considering the amount of injuries we have had to our top-6/9. We have arguably the best 3rd line when healthy.

Raymond-Roy-Hansen.

In my opinion, the BEST goaltending duo in the ENTIRE league. I seriously don't care about the President's trophy anymore. I used to think it had a great amount of importance. But the only season that matters is the one come April. If an 8th seed no one anticipated to even get past Round ONE. I'm pretty sure our team, the Canucks are capable of contending for Lord Stanley's mug. The reason we have been struggling the past couple of years is cause of injuries. No difference from this year, BUT atleast we have a great center in Roy as we've been searching for one after Manny. We will also have Kesler healthy for the playoffs. Kassian, I hope is motivated to stay on this team. Be a top-6 forward. We have all of the pieces to the puzzle. This is why I fully believe in this team's chances.

I hope they give it all they have. Take a run like they did in 2011.

This team still has two art-ross winners, a selke winner, a jennings-tandem in net and a deep, experienced, offensively gifted blue line. I've defended AV lately because of the roster but with the addition of Roy and Kesler's return it's time to play with some urgency or I'd expect a little house-cleaning this summer.

Archived