The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis has shown he IS the right guy for the job

Ghewlash

I feel as bad as you do for Luongo. I too wish we could have found a fit for everyone at the deadline. We didn't, and people have been casting aspersions at Gillis and the Canuck organization big time because of it, us fans included. For me, this situation has only reinforced my faith in Gillis, and it should do the same for yours.

The most important thing to us fans is winning the cup, and we as fans can only hope our players and management share in that. Some franchises exhibit good reasons to doubt that winning a cup is their highest priority, and others make it all too clear. With respect to management, when making particular decisions they can operate under many other mandates such as profits, ego, improving culture, etc. I believe Mike Gillis has clearly demonstrated he cares about one thing; winning a cup. Considering also that Mike is also adept at management a team, we've lucked out.

We went into the deadline with the least amount of cap space in the league, and were undoubtedly looking to make the most of it. We had some players on the shelf and so probably could have added a fairly expensive player even with Luongo. We weren't able to make any sensible deals outside of Roy, and I don't think Luongo here prevented us from adding pieces. Now we're faced with Gillis' situation today. Everyone is harping on him big time for not letting Luongo go for futures, a poor return, or nothing at all.

This is where Gillis really showed his stuff. Luongo is a great goalie and very valuable to us or any other team. Gillis knew he was going to vilified if he kept Luongo around much longer, and he was definitely feeling the heat from almost all directions. Given the circumstances, we all know it was best for the team this year to keep Luongo if we couldn't upgrade from his trade. Luongo and Schneider give me incredible confidence in our goaltending in the playoffs, much much more so than would Schneider and a 2nd round pick/bozak/ etc etc would. If we didn't have a significant use for the cap space, then Luongo is best use for it and it took a focus on the cup only to come out of today with that decision. A sober second look will reveal this I believe.

Gillis could have crumbled to public pressure and taken the easy way out and given Luongo away. Instead, he did what gave us the best chance this year. When Gillis took over we could only hope he wouldn't let his or anyone else's own interests, money, even Luongo's feelings, and especially not his own public image trump the directive to win a cup. He is willing to be the villain and make the tough decisions in order to give us a cup, and I think we could be celebrating him right now.

Okay, I'll admit I watched his interview and I think he did the best he could. I don't think most people realize this isn't NHL for XBox. It takes 2 to trade, and there are a million factors in between. From his interview, I think Gillis did the best to trade Luongo besides giving him away for a crappy return. It seems the latter was the norm this year, and I'm not too surprised given it's a shortened season and a new CBA that Gillis didn't bite. We'll see Luongo dealt in the Summer or next deadline at the very latest.

I like Roy coming in, I'm excited to see what he can provide up the center as Kesler returns soon as well. I think the Canucks, if they can find some fast chemistry and be healthy, have a shot at this like anyone else in the playoff race.

Look at how many core members there were back then, I think they're ready to take another shot at the cup.

The thing is, all the fans wanting Gillis to basically throw Luongo away, don't realize that it's not quite that easy to make that deal.

Sure, you can give Luongo away, but all we get back is capspace. That doesn't help us if we aren't able to use that capspace and put someone else there. Also, if we traded Luongo, we would have needed a goalie coming back the other way. Lack is injured, and completely green.

Not nearly as simple as people think. Gillis did the right thing in keeping Lu, because at the end of the day, Luongo is still a world-class goaltender, and giving him away for nothing is stupid.

I just can't believe how he hasn't gotten any credit at all really for this Roy trade.

When Roy is on his game this is a guy who puts up 1st line production. This is potentially a first line calibre player and probably a high end 2nd liner at the worst.

We needed offense and a center, he got 2 birds with 1 stone and for a cheap price too. Like look at Minnesota. Pominville and Roy bring the same impact to a team when on there games, with different dimensions each, and Minnesota paid 2 high end prospects, a 1st and a 2nd for an extra year. MG paid Connaution and a 2nd for Roy and we can just re-sign him if we can make the space for him.

I'm extremely happy with this move, it instantly makes us a 3 line offensive threat and gives us one of the deepest center ice positions in the league.

Yet he has gotten no real credit, he has gotten some but nothing in compared to the negative attention he got.

Just shows how Anti-Gillis alot of our fan base has become.

I just can't believe how he hasn't gotten any credit at all really for this Roy trade.

When Roy is on his game this is a guy who puts up 1st line production. This is potentially a first line calibre player and probably a high end 2nd liner at the worst.

We needed offense and a center, he got 2 birds with 1 stone and for a cheap price too. Like look at Minnesota. Pominville and Roy bring the same impact to a team when on there games, with different dimensions each, and Minnesota paid 2 high end prospects, a 1st and a 2nd for an extra year. MG paid Connaution and a 2nd for Roy and we can just re-sign him if we can make the space for him.

I'm extremely happy with this move, it instantly makes us a 3 line offensive threat and gives us one of the deepest center ice positions in the league.

Yet he has gotten no real credit, he has gotten some but nothing in compared to the negative attention he got.

Just shows how Anti-Gillis alot of our fan base has become.

+1 Nice to hear a rational, positive perspective. So tired of entitled fans calling for Gillis' job.

Can't remember the last time we had this balance of consistent, yearly playoff contention and several prospects to look forward to.

We're lucky to have a playoff team; I'm excited to see Roy play tomorrow.

Go Canucks!

Now that more details are known it is blatantly false to say MG didn't work hard to make things happen on trade day, especially with Loungo.

However, even though I never it could actually happen and hate to say it, it might be Schneider who ends up moving in the off season.

I love how the idiot laffs and their fans are getting cocky about being in a playoff position. The fact of the matter is, whether people want to admit it or not, is that the laffs are only in a playoff position and likely to stay there simply because of this shortened season. They don't have enough time to collapse like they usually do, fortunately for them. If this was a full 82-game season, they would be in the basement, and teams like Philly wouldn't be struggling so much and would be kicking their asses.

Laffs fans will be in for a rude awakening next season win they get owned by everyon else again, and their pathetic goalies and defense get lit up.

its one thing to do the job of a gm. its another entirely different animal when you have to deal with the media 24/7 stirring sh*t up. i don't envy his job at all. that said, i think he has a game plan but things don't always go your way and i think he's going to feel some heat from ownership pretty soon if not already

I think all the hate comes from the performance that the team has had and overlapped to bite Gillis in the you know what. Fans generally speaking do not understand the team is in an indefinite slump and full of more injuries than the emergency room at VGH.

They ignore the fact the the lines are totally out of sync and the constant confusion of this deadline has barred a lot of players from having the direct focus that they want. It's hard to get on the ice every night and play hard when half your team-mates are out with injuries and the others don't even know if they'll be here tomorrow.

Although we all have our own opinions we don't truthfully know anything. All I can say is if I was a player on this team and the last two years we had been the best in the league and we started the season as we had, and injuries started to pile up we lost some games...the fans gave more hate than support (and not to mention to Lou scenario) and the deadline was rolling by my head would be full of a lot more than you could imagine.

I think Gillis made the right choice and it will show when this team is healthy, determined, and focused. As a fan and a true Canuck I say this is going to be a great end to a terrible start. Believe in blue.

The thing is, all the fans wanting Gillis to basically throw Luongo away, don't realize that it's not quite that easy to make that deal.

Sure, you can give Luongo away, but all we get back is capspace. That doesn't help us if we aren't able to use that capspace and put someone else there. Also, if we traded Luongo, we would have needed a goalie coming back the other way. Lack is injured, and completely green.

Not nearly as simple as people think. Gillis did the right thing in keeping Lu, because at the end of the day, Luongo is still a world-class goaltender, and giving him away for nothing is stupid.

Archived