The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis has shown he IS the right guy for the job

Ghewlash

Once Dave Nonis starts feeling the heat in Toronto he'll fold like a house of cards or not do a enough just like he did here. Don't think I've hated an ex-Canuck personnel more then Nonis.

By feeling the heat I mean both his goalies struggling and his team going through a slump.

Are you for real? You guys on CDC need to get off salo's di#@. Seriously. He is a good player, but he's averaged 56 games in the last 4 seasons - one of which he only played 27 games (that's the SCF season). On top of that he averaged a +5.75 over that span - this is on the team that's ranked 13th, 2nd, 1st and 4th in scoring. Also goal differential has been +26, +50, +77,+51 for the Canucks...and at it's highest +/- of +77, Salo only played 27 games and was a whopping -3.

Come on guys. Stop inflating people who have left, simply saying..."THE OLD IS BETTER THAN THE NEW". Salo is done - he has a torn achilles, he's 37 and is simply not the player that garrisson could become.

And quite frankly, I don't care if the GM is lying or not. He can say whatever he wants as long as he's winning. This is his job, he has no obligation to take anything public. When you do something at work, do you announce it to all your customers? Probably not.

Handing out a massive career long contract to a world class goaltender, only to go back on that contract when the backup plays 3 playoff games tells me he is NOT the right person for the job. I feel he has handled this situation absolutely terrible right from the start. You don't let a top 5 goaltender in the league who is in his prime rot on the bench. Schneider should NEVER (even though they may be close to similar skill level) have been put in the position to overthrow Luongo based on the small number of playoff games he has. You signed Luongo to be the franchise goaltender, he signed the contract with the assumption of BEING the franchise goaltender.

It's an absolutely awful way to treat a highly respected player like Luongo.

PLUS letting an agent or even a family member dictate a trade (Hodgson) showed me he lacks the balls to tell people where their place is (just as an aside).

The Roy trade - great. I hope he works. But I am still disgusted with how Lu has been treated after originally being given a face of the franchise type contract.

This Luongo deal is going to cost Acquilini's millions of dollars, and I highly doubt they are going to be happy with this. Not only from buying out Lu, but marketing sales are going to plummet. Luongo is WAY more marketable than Schneider is.

They will trade Schneids before they buyout Lu. Lu is still a great goal tender, he just has a contract that is too long. Still good cap hit for the next 5/6 years. Lack or Canata will step up and be very good.

I find it interesting that people crow and whine about how badly this team gets pushed around by the ,ultitude of bigger, tougher teams out there, and then stand on their box and cheer because MG went out and got Roy. I don't think Roy is a bad player, in fact I think he is a god player. However, at 5'9 he just exacerbates the same problem the Canucks have had in every playoff in recent memory..........other teams push them around like they can't push back......which they can't. Every line, of any significance gets intimidated and thrown off their game on a regular basis. Roy not only doesn't change that, it makes worse. No team they face in the post season (if they make it), is going to take them seriously, or give them any kind of respect.

I would have been fine with Roy if Mg would have brought in at least 1-2 players with some size, toughness and some measure of skill to balance out the issues with this team. He did not, thus he failed on deadline day.

It's not that he didn't trade Luongo this deadline that makes him a good GM. It's that he didn't foresee this situation and trade him in the offseason.

His asset and cap management have potentially handcuffed this team throughout the best years of the Sedins.

5.3 on a Backup

4mil on a guy that is a constant healthy scratch

4mil on a injury prone glorified grinder

13mil of cap space wasted due to bad asset management. Taking players from bad teams that make them look good. Would Tallon really have traded Booth and Ballard if he though they were valuable assets? No he sees them play and knows that they aren't the best players and fleeced Gillis. Now were either stuck with these players or will have to buy them out.

I really like Mike as a GM and like so many of the things he has done for the organization but a few big mistakes could cost the Canucks a chance at the cup and his job

I can't believe how many fans have turned on Gillis. I feel like he is doing a fantastic job. He's definitely made a few mistakes but I love that he's willing to take the risk and be a proactive general management. He deserves way more credit for the Roy trade. Looking at what other teams gave up, we got him at an absolute steal in my opinion. Have the fans ever supported a GM here? It seems like there is 15 rumors and proposals a day and if the GM doesn't do them all, our fan base turns on them. Support your damn team everyone

Once Dave Nonis starts feeling the heat in Toronto he'll fold like a house of cards or not do a enough just like he did here. Don't think I've hated an ex-Canuck personnel more then Nonis.

By feeling the heat I mean both his goalies struggling and his team going through a slump.

It's utterly perplexing to me how people can defend Gillis. Yes, trades are not easy to make but as a GM his job is to make the difficult happen. The bottom line is he is not good at trading, signing, drafting or developing players which is a death knell for this organization.The Canuck's window to win in now and Gillis and crew are sitting idling watching the ship sail past. We are the next Calgary Flames. Get ready for a decade of mediocrity.

Maybe, maybe not.

Doesn't matter, though. Fans come to the rink when the team is winning.That's the only thing that's really marketable.

Schneider's already the better goaltender. And he'll be odds-on to be a better goaltender than Lu for the rest of Lu's career.

I'd love to prove you wrong as well, but regretfully, I can't.

I suspect the panic of a lower cap hit will end up with Booth and Ballard traded for scraps, waived or bought out. I also think they will keep Lu and trade Schneids. Raymond and Manny will walk. That will free up about 14m cap space. Hopefully they can include a couple of rookies in their lineup next season (Schroeder, Jensen, Corrado) as there are 7 or 8 contracts and/or spots to be filled.

he's already the better goaltender base on what? 5 playoff appearances? Remeber Luongo and his first 5 playoff games?

the fact that the so call "fans" in vancouver believe Cory is the better goalie for such a small sample will be the reason why they will chase him out of the town after a season or two. Then the locust will move on to another target, possibly Kesler, and do the same thing until the team has nothing left.

No team in the nhl other than Vancouver would chase out their franchise goalie in favor of a player with 5 playoff appearances.

When we win the Presidents Trophy it's, "Now we only get crap draft picks"

When we don't win the Presidents Trophy it's, "Gillis should be fired"

When GM's are trading draft picks left and right for player's it's, "Why isn't Gillis doing anything? Fire his ass!"

When Gillis trades one pick and a prospect for a top-6 forward it's, "He's Mortgaging our Future NO! FIRE HIM NOW!!"

When we win 6 games in a row it's, "..........(crickets)"

When we lose a game it's, "Fire AV, Trade everybody, Fire Gillis, Go Pittsburgh!"

When another team's player dives it's, "Not as bad as Kesler! (ZING!)"

When a member of our team supposedly dives it's, "Typical Canucks"

That's just 4 examples and there's plenty more, pretty sad.

I think the problem is, Gillis initially made the mistake of over-valuing Lu which in turn put him in this predicament.

we could have gotten Schenn from Toronto for Lu and then flipped Schenn to Philly for JVR

JVR and Shroeder was a wicked combination for USA Junior team and it would have been amazing to re-unite them.

but now, we are looking at getting scraps for Lu OR potentially trading cory

When we win the Presidents Trophy it's, "Now we only get crap draft picks"

When we don't win the Presidents Trophy it's, "Gillis should be fired"

When GM's are trading draft picks left and right for player's it's, "Why isn't Gillis doing anything? Fire his ass!"

When Gillis trades one pick and a prospect for a top-6 forward it's, "He's Mortgaging our Future NO! FIRE HIM NOW!!"

When we win 6 games in a row it's, "..........(crickets)"

When we lose a game it's, "Fire AV, Trade everybody, Fire Gillis, Go Pittsburgh!"

When another team's player dives it's, "Not as bad as Kesler! (ZING!)"

When a member of our team supposedly dives it's, "Typical Canucks"

That's just 4 examples and there's plenty more, pretty sad.

Archived