The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis has shown he IS the right guy for the job

Ghewlash

We will get a better return in the summer. This is just like last year with the Nash trade. Yeah, he may have a shorter term, but his cap hit is ridiculously high. Columbus tried to offload him at last year's trade deadline, and I think the Rangers were even rumoured to be one of the teams inquiring about him during then. Of course, the Rangers did end up getting him in the summer. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the teams who inquired about Luongo, the Flyers, ends up going all in for him in the Summer after their abysmal year.

Gillis does deserve credit for the Roy trade, and well deserved credit. KConn is a good prospect, but we have at least 4 better D on long term deals. Great use of an asset to get something we need. If anything we might have also traded Ballard.

With some nuts, we might have traded Edler. Lou and Edler could have been a compelling package.

We might have also scored a RHD, who could rush the puck and captain the PP and a decent R winger.

I just can't believe how he hasn't gotten any credit at all really for this Roy trade.

When Roy is on his game this is a guy who puts up 1st line production. This is potentially a first line calibre player and probably a high end 2nd liner at the worst.

We needed offense and a center, he got 2 birds with 1 stone and for a cheap price too. Like look at Minnesota. Pominville and Roy bring the same impact to a team when on there games, with different dimensions each, and Minnesota paid 2 high end prospects, a 1st and a 2nd for an extra year. MG paid Connaution and a 2nd for Roy and we can just re-sign him if we can make the space for him.

I'm extremely happy with this move, it instantly makes us a 3 line offensive threat and gives us one of the deepest center ice positions in the league.

Yet he has gotten no real credit, he has gotten some but nothing in compared to the negative attention he got.

Just shows how Anti-Gillis alot of our fan base has become.

Really. Nonis would have to be nuts to saddle his franchise with that kind of an albatross. He's been around too long for that. Miller is the way to go if you want a proven veteran goalie; Bernier if you want a blue chip young goalie.

Luongo is a compliance buyout waiting for the summer to happen.

The jury is still out on this one...I'm not convinced at all that the two rookie Leafs goalies have what it takes in the playoffs..Nonis is going to have to get a real goalie this summer regardless...Loungo would have given them an instant credibility.

It's utterly perplexing to me how people can defend Gillis. Yes, trades are not easy to make but as a GM his job is to make the difficult happen. The bottom line is he is not good at trading, signing, drafting or developing players which is a death knell for this organization.The Canuck's window to win in now and Gillis and crew are sitting idling watching the ship sail past. We are the next Calgary Flames. Get ready for a decade of mediocrity.

It's a nice way of putting it, I'll give you that.

As for the Luongo and Toronto talk.. at this point I'd rather buy him out and let him go where he wants as opposed to giving him to Toronto for minimal assets.

If they're going to trash us publicly by leaking supposed trade offers and attempting to damage the value of one of our players even further I've got no desire to help them out in any way, shape, or form.

Let them suffer with their mediocre goaltending. They'll be in for a rude awakening if they make the playoffs, and even moreso next season when they don't have a shortened season dash to the playoffs.

thanks OP. I, too, am happy about Gillis. he has the team's interest at heart.

let's face it. he could trade away Luongo now...for what?! do you feel comfortable going into the playoffs with Schneider and (ie) Steve Mason? I doubt we could have gotten an impact player now. and a couple of picks doesn't help this team now.

be that as it may, GMMG got Derek Roy to fix the problems at C now with Kesler and Manny out. sure, he could have gotten Clowe and Torres as well but it's not like he didn't try. the Canucks aren't the only ones trying to improve their team and even though a large portion on here thinks there isn't a hockey market besides Van-City, other players actually like other cities/players/fans better.

Good post.

Here is what most of the fan base doesn't see -

In a year, we traded Hodgson, got Kassian

Then traded a pick and our 4th/5th prospect for Roy.

So essentially, we are in the same position as we were last year -

Roy > Hodgson

Kassian > Connauton + 2nd round pick

People didn't complain last year when we won the president's trophy, and this year we arguably have a better team.

Lost Salo - added Garrisson

Lost Hodgson - added Roy

Guest Dasein

Gillis is the right guy for this job? He offered up Luongo just 15 minutes before the deadline for Ben Scrivens and two 2nd round picks... I would have been LIVID if that's what Luongo was traded for. That would have been the biggest steal of the trade deadline.

He should have just stood pat and not gotten desperate at the deadline.

Gillis is the right guy for this job? He offered up Luongo just 15 minutes before the deadline for Ben Scrivens and two 2nd round picks... I would have been LIVID if that's what Luongo was traded for. That would have been the biggest steal of the trade deadline.

He should have just stood pat and not gotten desperate at the deadline.

Once Dave Nonis starts feeling the heat in Toronto he'll fold like a house of cards or not do a enough just like he did here. Don't think I've hated an ex-Canuck personnel more then Nonis.

By feeling the heat I mean both his goalies struggling and his team going through a slump.

Yeah,right.Gilllis' front office has his hacks out supporting his salary and position.

Luo tells one story ,Gillis tells another.

Same with Hodgson.Funny that.

Pahlsson for Ellington and two picks to replace Hodgson for a few weeks of playoff hockey.

Lost Sulzer and they shed Gragnani. That's five players for Hodgson.

Add another rental -Roy- that the fan boys are frothing over and lose a second round pick and Connauton.

Now we are up to eight players to replace Hodgson.

Love how Luo does not want to be in Vancouver for one more minute-all season long-and Gillis can't do the right thing.

Then the fan boys state emphatically that Hodgson did not want to be here so he was shipped out in his rookie year.

Yeah.Go Mikey and his fan boys.

I love how Gillis says he tried his best for Raffi Torres and San Jose got him for a third round pick.

That should tell the fan boys something,if they can figure it out.

Oh,and Garrison cannot hold a candle to what Sami brought to this team.Garrison is Wille Mitchell junior.

And quite frankly, I don't care if the GM is lying or not. He can say whatever he wants as long as he's winning. This is his job, he has no obligation to take anything public. When you do something at work, do you announce it to all your customers? Probably not.

Garrison was never signed to replace Salo.

The point is nobody replaced Ehrhoff or Salo's game and PP contributions.

Garrison is not and never will be a skilled defender with an accurate shot and quarterback capabilities.

Handing out a massive career long contract to a world class goaltender, only to go back on that contract when the backup plays 3 playoff games tells me he is NOT the right person for the job. I feel he has handled this situation absolutely terrible right from the start. You don't let a top 5 goaltender in the league who is in his prime rot on the bench. Schneider should NEVER (even though they may be close to similar skill level) have been put in the position to overthrow Luongo based on the small number of playoff games he has. You signed Luongo to be the franchise goaltender, he signed the contract with the assumption of BEING the franchise goaltender.

It's an absolutely awful way to treat a highly respected player like Luongo.

PLUS letting an agent or even a family member dictate a trade (Hodgson) showed me he lacks the balls to tell people where their place is (just as an aside).

The Roy trade - great. I hope he works. But I am still disgusted with how Lu has been treated after originally being given a face of the franchise type contract.

This Luongo deal is going to cost Acquilini's millions of dollars, and I highly doubt they are going to be happy with this. Not only from buying out Lu, but marketing sales are going to plummet. Luongo is WAY more marketable than Schneider is.

Archived