The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who would have backed up Schnieder?

scooter23222

We were never going to trade Luongo for picks... Wow... The only way we were willing to trade him was to get 1 or 2 good players that can contribute and make a difference NOW, not years down the road. Our Stanley Cup window is now, so everything we would have acquired would be for that purpose.

And for the record, you're an absolute idiot if you think he's only worth a couple "picks". He is a stellar, top 10 goalie in this league and is worth more than any team was even able to offer, which is why no trade was able to happen. There is no point of dumping such a huge asset for hardly anything or "future considerations"

We were never going to trade Luongo for picks... Wow... The only way we were willing to trade him was to get 1 or 2 good players that can contribute and make a difference NOW, not years down the road. Our Stanley Cup window is now, so everything we would have acquired would be for that purpose.

And for the record, you're an absolute idiot if you think he's only worth a couple "picks". He is a stellar, top 10 goalie in this league and is worth more than any team was even able to offer, which is why no trade was able to happen. There is no point of dumping such a huge asset for hardly anything or "future considerations"

People seem to forget that if we had traded Luongo for picks who would have been the back up?Maybe management had to take that into consideration for the better of the team.The team hasnt been blessed with health and i better 'Murphys Law" would have bit us right in the arse.

I personally never wanted Luongo to be traded but that isnt my decision or anyone on this boards to make?

But lost in all of this who would have been the back up if we only had gotten picks in return?And what price would have we paid to get the mystery back up?

Whoever would have taken Luongo would have had an extra goalie who could have become our backup in the return on the trade.

Anyways time to move forward and i hope the 'team " starts to pick it up.Maybe now that the deadline is gone players can focus on hockey and not be distracted by fear of moving.Lets be honest that would play on any humans mind.Professional or not.

GO NUCKS!!

I kinda think that is the reason no trade happened. Better to keep two no.1 goaltenders in case of injury in the playoffs. In the summer we can trade Luongo for something better than a back-up and a few picks, then sign a goaltender or see how Lack can do.

People seem to forget that Lack's injury changed the parameters of the Luongo trade.

Perhaps the plan never was to take a goalie back in the Lu trade and instead run with Schieds and Lack. Assuming, for example, young Mr. Scrivens has 'some value; then including him in the deal diminishes the return on the rest of the trade. In addition, taking a goalie back adds another contract into the mix thereby limiting how many other signed players can be included. Not to mention cap hit.

It was very odd that not one single so-called expert examined this in the analysis of the non trade. So the question is, could Gillis better address the team's long term needs by not including a goalie in the deal? I say yes. Therefore trading Lu now, when there was no choice but to take on another goalie due to Lack's injury, just didn't make sense IMO.

And you don't know if those picks would keep you in contentions for years on in. That's is why you just don't think of today but the future of your franchise Kmotamed!!!. So you think that one or two player is going to take us over the top? You guarantee that? Nothing is Guarantee once the playoffs started.Are you Guarantee us that we're not going to lose another forward from here on in? Your gonna tell me if some team offer you a top 5 picks for the year for 2-3 years your not going to take that? Like it not we have to shed Salary for next year. You tell me what team is going to give up a young future for a goaltender at the trade deadline that is in his thirties right now, Unless your a seller!! That is why your going to have to wait until the off season when you have a better chance to off load him and get a better return. Toronto was going to offer us two picks and a back up. The only reason that trade wasn't made was because Nonis wanted Gillis to cover half of Loungo's salary.

I say sign Climie next year to a two-way deal, let him have a try as a back-up, Lack won't be ready and will need all the minutes as a starter as he can get. Cannata can be the starter in whatever ECHL team we are affiliated with. Then I think MG should sign Vienneau, the backup for the Kitchener Rangers. He is a free agent and will most likely be the starter for the Rangers next season when Gibson jumps up to the AHL.

Edit: Oops, thought Vienneau was 19, he's an over-age player, oh well, still think he could be given a shot.

Archived