The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pavel meeting with the media today, possible jersey retirement?

gaydar

i say bring him out just in time for the playoffs.... canucks management should rather than make it a signing... pay him what ever the canucks owed him and just solve the situation once and for all.... even if bure doesn't play a game....

I loved the fact Bure was in the house, and that the relationship is mending. When I think to the 2011 Finals, the Bruins being able to have Bobby Orr bring the crowd alive like that, we need to honour and cherish our own superstars. Bure is a legend in these parts, and he deserves to be treated like one.

Great to see Pavel at the game tonight, definitely one of the highlights.

I always hated that his jersey wasn't retired so hopefully that changes soon and then we can be proud that he's a member of the hockey hall of fame for his time as a Canuck.

No offense but Bure does not deserve to have his number retired, he only played just over 400 games for the Canucks. 7th in all time team scoring, give me a break.

For the Canucks to retire a 4th number would be a joke. Had he played longer here, maybe you could make the case yes, but thats not the case.

Rip me all you want, but thats my opinion. I dont care how much skill he had, simply he hasnt done enough to deserve it.

samhell.jpg

Baggins and I had an immense debate about whether or not Pavel's jersey deserved retiring. In my view, when Naslund had his jersey retired, that opened up the door for Bure.

While Naslund accomplished a lot in regular seasons, Bure accomplished more in the playoffs. While Naslund owns important team records, so does Bure. Bure in fact owns more team records. And he is in the hof. That might not be a factor to some people, but it is. Sure, he didn't spend a tremendous amount of time here, but in that shorter time he accomplished quite a lot.

The way he left is a concern to some. That wasn't his fault. Epic posts about that. There was rumours about him. All bs. There was mismanagement. There was the money. He left for that reason as well. And can you blame him? He was a superstar. One of the league's best. And the Canucks at the time were one of the poorer franchises in the league. (Bure was paid 19mil by the Canucks and 47mil by the Rangers and Panthers during his shortened career.)

I certainly hope we're burying the hatchet and retiring his jersey. If he doesn't have his jersey retired, so be it. But his alongside Smyl, Naslund and Linden? That doesn't look out of place at all and everyone knows it.

No offense but Bure does not deserve to have his number retired, he only played just over 400 games for the Canucks. 7th in all time team scoring, give me a break.

For the Canucks to retire a 4th number would be a joke. Had he played longer here, maybe you could make the case yes, but thats not the case.

Rip me all you want, but thats my opinion. I dont care how much skill he had, simply he hasnt done enough to deserve it.

There is only one place for Pavel to be and that is Vancouver AKA home. For all the kids out there that missed what kind of hockey this guy could play, oh boy. If you think the twins are great, Pavel was better then them together. The memories, the skill, the speed and the excitment. Most talented player ever to play for the team. We can only hope to see the jersey go up where it belongs.

I loved the fact Bure was in the house, and that the relationship is mending. When I think to the 2011 Finals, the Bruins being able to have Bobby Oelyrr bring the crowd alive like that, we need to honour and cherish our own superstars. Bure is a legend in these parts, and he deserves to be treated like one.

Absolutely, well said. He is such an exciting part of our past and so many kids grew up idolizing him...it's been sad that we haven't been able to have him involved and pay tribute to him. It was a really great moment last night and brought a tear to my eye too.

I have a feeling you never actually saw him play and are simply referring to the stats. Doesn't work. Here's a stat they don't keep - how many times he made people gasp and jump out of their seats. You can't measure the buzz that he generated or the fact that he was a bonafide superstar and that he stood out from everyone else on the ice.

Absolutely, well said. He is such an exciting part of our past and so many kids grew up idolizing him...it's been sad that we haven't been able to have him involved and pay tribute to him. It was a really great moment last night and brought a tear to my eye too.

I have a feeling you never actually saw him play and are simply referring to the stats. Doesn't work. Here's a stat they don't keep - how many times he made people gasp and jump out of their seats. You can't measure the buzz that he generated or the fact that he was a bonafide superstar and that he stood out from everyone else on the ice.

Those nah sayers are seriously forgetting what Pavel has done for this franchise.

The younger generations and even the older generation referring to stats and the way he left.

Nothing, and I mean nothing in life especially in a sport like hockey will turn out perfect like it should. If it did we would've won the Cup already or players like Linden should not have been traded regardless of the return.

Bure turned this team around. He put fan in the seats where previously the Canucks were having a hard time selling out. It gave a new stadium in GM Place now... Rogers Arena.

Simple put, imagine if he wasn't here... The Canucks might have ended up like the Jets where they had to move and relocate!

Bure and everything he meant to the Canucks played a huge role in keeping and making the franchise successful.

It isn't like today where everything Canucks is successful, sold out games, crazy ticket prices, tv broadcasting... Everything hockey this, everything canucks that.

People were dumping tickets back then, most people didn't really cared too much about hockey unless you were a hockey fan. We had check if the Canucks were on TV that day.

Ignorant people don't recall what he did for the city not just the stick and puck he plays around with during his 7 years here

Archived