The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pavel meeting with the media today, possible jersey retirement?

gaydar

No offense but Bure does not deserve to have his number retired, he only played just over 400 games for the Canucks. 7th in all time team scoring, give me a break.

For the Canucks to retire a 4th number would be a joke. Had he played longer here, maybe you could make the case yes, but thats not the case.

Rip me all you want, but thats my opinion. I dont care how much skill he had, simply he hasnt done enough to deserve it.

I recall exactly 10 years ago, I was arguing with a bunch nay sayers of why Pavel is not the greatest Canuck and should never even be mentioned in the same tone Of Trevor Linden. I can probably even find the threads. Anyways I'm glad Canucks fans have changed their mind to this extent and realized what a great player he is. The management screwed him multiple times. I'm ok with not having a retirement Jersey dones this year, due to scheduling, but it needs to be done. The fans want it done, just get er done, Aqua man.

The majority of fans have stood behind Pavel ,wanting to bring back and forever honor a Canuck superstar.

Quinn and Larionov stood up for and opened the door for his HHOF ticket and now Gillis and Francesco are instrumental in bringing him home here to be celebrated in the manner in which he is entitled.

Bravo to all these Canucks for their efforts.

Pavel is the most explosive offensive player we were ever blessed to watch play in Vancouver.

You have been gone way too long but welcome back,Pavel.We have been waiting for you.

Never mind just the Canucks, the guy belongs in the conversation with the best players in the history of the game. I was touched watching the standing O to him last night.

It's been a long time coming and he deserves all the hounouring we can muster for being one of the most electrifying players to ever lace up.

No offense but Bure does not deserve to have his number retired, he only played just over 400 games for the Canucks. 7th in all time team scoring, give me a break.

For the Canucks to retire a 4th number would be a joke. Had he played longer here, maybe you could make the case yes, but thats not the case.

Rip me all you want, but thats my opinion. I dont care how much skill he had, simply he hasnt done enough to deserve it.

samhell.jpg

Baggins and I had an immense debate about whether or not Pavel's jersey deserved retiring. In my view, when Naslund had his jersey retired, that opened up the door for Bure.

While Naslund accomplished a lot in regular seasons, Bure accomplished more in the playoffs. While Naslund owns important team records, so does Bure. Bure in fact owns more team records. And he is in the hof. That might not be a factor to some people, but it is. Sure, he didn't spend a tremendous amount of time here, but in that shorter time he accomplished quite a lot.

The way he left is a concern to some. That wasn't his fault. Epic posts about that. There was rumours about him. All bs. There was mismanagement. There was the money. He left for that reason as well. And can you blame him? He was a superstar. One of the league's best. And the Canucks at the time were one of the poorer franchises in the league. (Bure was paid 19mil by the Canucks and 47mil by the Rangers and Panthers during his shortened career.)

I certainly hope we're burying the hatchet and retiring his jersey. If he doesn't have his jersey retired, so be it. But his alongside Smyl, Naslund and Linden? That doesn't look out of place at all and everyone knows it.

ring of honour?

hey guy is the only player in canuck history in the hall of fame

he gave every ounce of his game, heart, desire to vancouver

he lifted people out of their seats when he touched the puck

the guy's jersey should and will be retired not just the ring of honour

ring of honour?

they guy is the only player in canuck history in the hall of fame

he gave every ounce of his game, heart, desire to vancouver

he lifted people out of their seats when he touched the puck

the guy's jersey should and will be retired not just the ring of honour

considering the team retired Nassucks jersey, Bure obviously deserves it.

The fact this organization practically tripped over themselves to get the door for Nassuck to come back was a disgrace to jersey retirements everywhere. Bure did more in his 400 games than he did in how ever many he actually showed up for. Got us to the SCF where as Nassuck couldnt get us past round 2.

The faster this team retires Bures #, the faster everyone can quit looking up in the rafters & realizing the massive mistake they made putting Nassuck up there before him.

Straws....clutching.

Don't care what the percentage is. Steve Karya played 100% of his NHL games in a Canuck uniform. Should we retire his number? That's the dumbest reason I've seen yet. It's the actual number of games played that isn't enough. You certainly can't change that number with stupidity.

Straws....clutching.

Don't care what the percentage is. Steve Karya played 100% of his NHL games in a Canuck uniform. Should we retire his number? That's the dumbest reason I've seen yet. It's the actual number of games played that isn't enough. You certainly can't change that number with stupidity.

Archived