Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Pavel meeting with the media today, possible jersey retirement?

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#31 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

Well Gillis did say he was gonna get more offence at the deadline.
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

#32 Guest_Pinchin_*

Guest_Pinchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

I had to check what day it was, could have been another April fools prank like he did a few years ago...which was freaking hilarious I might add.

#33 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

We should get Bure back on the ICE and help out our 29th ranked PP

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#34 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,660 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

Pavel is the same age as Selanne.

Imagine he had the ability to stay injury free like him. He could still be playing today.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#35 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

To summarize the press release:

- He lives everywhere (Mostly Moscow, Europe and Florida)
- Hes having a baby boy in a couple weeks
- Hes here for an event tomorrow and for the Canucks For Kids Telefund
- Gino Odjick is having a son named Bure
- Tons of great memories playing in vancouver
- Enjoys the shootout after overtime

Edit: Sorry HV88, didnt see your post haha

God could you imagine Bure in the shootout.. lots of goalies getting soiled.

#36 CanuckleHorse

CanuckleHorse

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

Still the most exciting player to ever come out of Russia and the greatest player the Canucks ever had.

#37 camarosmith000

camarosmith000

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Either that's a jersey foul or Pavel is wearing a Brian Bradley jersey. Could the Canucks brass at least have gotten his sweat right for this photo op? If things stay they are in Canuckville, his number will be retired in blue. Why do they insist on changing history?

Awwww....

Posted Image

Edited by camarosmith000, 04 April 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#38 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Once his jersey is retired, the curse will be lifted and we can finally win our cup.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#39 Chuck in the Truck

Chuck in the Truck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

Hands down best player to wear canucks jersey .There was nothing like it when he took the puck and went on a rush .Breath taking.We miss you Pavel !Welcome back!

#40 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

if they had some charity game and he was in it, it will sell out.

That's a great idea! Like a scrimmage game they had at the beginning of the season. I haven't been inspired to catch any games live this season but i would definitely want to see that and all proceeds go towards charity. Would be cool if they retired his jersey then as well. It would be amazing if he did an autograph session too. I have a Bure jersey that I would love to have autographed. Knowing he's in town kinda makes you giddy. What awesome memories and excitement he's brought to this town.
"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#41 Bleed Blue and Green

Bleed Blue and Green

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

I think we know what the fans want:

DeeCanucksBlog7_zps935c66c6.jpg

#42 Canuck hero

Canuck hero

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

i say bring him out just in time for the playoffs.... canucks management should rather than make it a signing... pay him what ever the canucks owed him and just solve the situation once and for all.... even if bure doesn't play a game....
Posted Image

#43 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

POPULAR

I loved the fact Bure was in the house, and that the relationship is mending. When I think to the 2011 Finals, the Bruins being able to have Bobby Orr bring the crowd alive like that, we need to honour and cherish our own superstars. Bure is a legend in these parts, and he deserves to be treated like one.
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#44 firestorm238

firestorm238

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Touching moment - and Rocket Man was a nice touch but, probably coulda chilled out on the crapty music in the background during the applause.

#45 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

Hopefully someday he'll have his number retired, just not within the net 5 years or so, as it would be too many too soon.

#46 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

How bout coming out of retirement??!

#47 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,533 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

Anyone old enough to have watched him play here knows that 10 belongs up there with 12, 16, and 19.

PuJi.jpg

#48 bluewhitegreen

bluewhitegreen

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

When was he the last time in Van, like for a visit?

#49 Belsy91

Belsy91

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

Really hope Aquilini convinced Bure to have his jersey lifted to the rafters!!! #10.. The most electrifying player ever to wear a Canuck jersey.

TWINS HUNT FOR 1000

9177.png= GP.1010- G.193- A.649 = 842 PTS

9152.png= GP.979- G.307- A.498 = 805 PTS

#50 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

Great to see Pavel at the game tonight, definitely one of the highlights.
I always hated that his jersey wasn't retired so hopefully that changes soon and then we can be proud that he's a member of the hockey hall of fame for his time as a Canuck.

#51 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,313 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

No offense but Bure does not deserve to have his number retired, he only played just over 400 games for the Canucks. 7th in all time team scoring, give me a break.

For the Canucks to retire a 4th number would be a joke. Had he played longer here, maybe you could make the case yes, but thats not the case.

Rip me all you want, but thats my opinion. I dont care how much skill he had, simply he hasnt done enough to deserve it.

Edited by PlayStation, 05 April 2013 - 12:30 AM.

Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#52 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,090 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

Posted Image

Baggins and I had an immense debate about whether or not Pavel's jersey deserved retiring. In my view, when Naslund had his jersey retired, that opened up the door for Bure.

While Naslund accomplished a lot in regular seasons, Bure accomplished more in the playoffs. While Naslund owns important team records, so does Bure. Bure in fact owns more team records. And he is in the hof. That might not be a factor to some people, but it is. Sure, he didn't spend a tremendous amount of time here, but in that shorter time he accomplished quite a lot.

The way he left is a concern to some. That wasn't his fault. Epic posts about that. There was rumours about him. All bs. There was mismanagement. There was the money. He left for that reason as well. And can you blame him? He was a superstar. One of the league's best. And the Canucks at the time were one of the poorer franchises in the league. (Bure was paid 19mil by the Canucks and 47mil by the Rangers and Panthers during his shortened career.)

I certainly hope we're burying the hatchet and retiring his jersey. If he doesn't have his jersey retired, so be it. But his alongside Smyl, Naslund and Linden? That doesn't look out of place at all and everyone knows it.
Posted Image

#53 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,660 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

POPULAR

No offense but Bure does not deserve to have his number retired, he only played just over 400 games for the Canucks. 7th in all time team scoring, give me a break.

For the Canucks to retire a 4th number would be a joke. Had he played longer here, maybe you could make the case yes, but thats not the case.

Rip me all you want, but thats my opinion. I dont care how much skill he had, simply he hasnt done enough to deserve it.

I guess you don't remember Bure pretty much bringing this team back from the brink of bankruptcy by putting fans in the seats.

Everyone forgets there was a time where the Canucks were close to leaving this city. Bure was this teams first real superstar, and he transformed this franchise. A whole generation of kids grew up Canucks fans because of this player. He was electrifying plain and simple, and he made fans in this city believe.

He deserves every honor he gets.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#54 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

There is only one place for Pavel to be and that is Vancouver AKA home. For all the kids out there that missed what kind of hockey this guy could play, oh boy. If you think the twins are great, Pavel was better then them together. The memories, the skill, the speed and the excitment. Most talented player ever to play for the team. We can only hope to see the jersey go up where it belongs.

#55 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

no jersey retirement this year, but next year you all know it's on!!!!

#56 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

retire the jersey next year and bring out a black and yellow skate alternate for the season since its the 20 year anniversary of the 94 team.

#57 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,985 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

POPULAR

I loved the fact Bure was in the house, and that the relationship is mending. When I think to the 2011 Finals, the Bruins being able to have Bobby Oelyrr bring the crowd alive like that, we need to honour and cherish our own superstars. Bure is a legend in these parts, and he deserves to be treated like one.

Absolutely, well said. He is such an exciting part of our past and so many kids grew up idolizing him...it's been sad that we haven't been able to have him involved and pay tribute to him. It was a really great moment last night and brought a tear to my eye too.

I have a feeling you never actually saw him play and are simply referring to the stats. Doesn't work. Here's a stat they don't keep - how many times he made people gasp and jump out of their seats. You can't measure the buzz that he generated or the fact that he was a bonafide superstar and that he stood out from everyone else on the ice.

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#58 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

Absolutely, well said. He is such an exciting part of our past and so many kids grew up idolizing him...it's been sad that we haven't been able to have him involved and pay tribute to him. It was a really great moment last night and brought a tear to my eye too.

I have a feeling you never actually saw him play and are simply referring to the stats. Doesn't work. Here's a stat they don't keep - how many times he made people gasp and jump out of their seats. You can't measure the buzz that he generated or the fact that he was a bonafide superstar and that he stood out from everyone else on the ice.

Absolutely. Everytime the guy touched the puck I expected something awesome to happen, much like the Sedins when they're on their game. The difference though is that Bure could do it all by himself, go end to end, deke around 2 or 3 defenders and then dirty dangle the goaltender. Some of the stuff the guy could do at full flight was just ridiculous (e.g. puck from stick to skate to puck vs. Boston).
Posted Image

#59 2nastie

2nastie

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Those nah sayers are seriously forgetting what Pavel has done for this franchise.

The younger generations and even the older generation referring to stats and the way he left.

Nothing, and I mean nothing in life especially in a sport like hockey will turn out perfect like it should. If it did we would've won the Cup already or players like Linden should not have been traded regardless of the return.

Bure turned this team around. He put fan in the seats where previously the Canucks were having a hard time selling out. It gave a new stadium in GM Place now... Rogers Arena.

Simple put, imagine if he wasn't here... The Canucks might have ended up like the Jets where they had to move and relocate!

Bure and everything he meant to the Canucks played a huge role in keeping and making the franchise successful.

It isn't like today where everything Canucks is successful, sold out games, crazy ticket prices, tv broadcasting... Everything hockey this, everything canucks that.

People were dumping tickets back then, most people didn't really cared too much about hockey unless you were a hockey fan. We had check if the Canucks were on TV that day.

Ignorant people don't recall what he did for the city not just the stick and puck he plays around with during his 7 years here

Edited by 2nastie, 05 April 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#60 canuckhound73

canuckhound73

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,179 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

Edited by canuckhound73, 05 April 2013 - 08:09 AM.

16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.