The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roy is not a rental, Booth won't be bought out next year

VanGnome

So in all of the posts I have been reading on this board since Roy's acquisition about Roy being a rental, or we can't keep both Booth and Roy etc, etc I felt it prudent to centralize this specific discussion lest someone not see all the numbers line up.

Here goes:

Sedin (6.100) / Sedin (6.100) / Burrows (4.500) 16.700

Booth (4.250) / Roy (5.000) / Kesler (5.000) 14.250

Jensen (0.894) / Schroeder (1.025) / Kassian (0.870) 2.789

Higgins (2.500) / Gaunce (1.088) / Hansen (1.350) 4.938

Edler (5.000) / Tanev (1.200) 6.200

Hamhuis (4.500) / Bieksa (4.600) 9.100

Garrison (4.600) / Corrado (0.600) 5.200

Schneider (4.000)

Lack (0.750)

Cap Ceiling 2013-2014 = 64.300

Cap Hit 2013-2014 = 63.927

Remaining Cap Room: 0.373

The above assumes the following roster moves:

Player raises:

Pre-Negotiated

• Alexandre Burrows: 4.500 AAV

• Alexander Edler: 5.000 AAV

• Chris Higgins 2.500 AAV

Proposed

• Derek Roy: 5.000 AAV, Term 5 years (4.500 Year 1, 4.500 Year 2, 5.000 Year 3, 5.000 Year 4, 6.000 Year 5)

• Jordan Schroeder: 1.025 AAV, Term 3 years (100% salary match, RFA Qualification)

• Chris Tanev: 1.200 AAV, Term 3 years (1.00 Year 1, 1.200 Year 2, 1.400 Year 3)

Players on ELC:

• Nicklas Jensen

• Zack Kassian

• Brendan Gaunce

• Frank Corrado

Let walk as UFA:

• Mason Raymond

• Maxim Lapierre (or re-sign to a short 1-2 year contract worth what he's getting now if Gaunce is not ready)

Salary dumps for picks/prospects or amnesty buyouts:

• Roberto Luongo (5.330 AAV)

• Keith Ballard (4.250 AAV)

Gillis has a lot of flexibility when it comes to next season, I would be content with either of the following scenarios:

1. Cap dump Luongo to Florida for picks and prospects, buyout Ballard

2. Cap dump Luongo to Florida for picks and prospects, cap dump Ballard for a late pick

3. Buyout Luongo and Ballard if no one bites at all

4. Keep Luongo, trade Schneider for an impact forward for the T6 with equal or less salary coming back (Schneider for Couturier + Picks), Cap dump/buyout Ballard

I don't believe that Gillis is willing to give up on Booth just yet, not when he's suffered exceedingly bad luck every time he appears to be rounding the corner and putting together a complete game.

I also highly doubt Gillis would have given up KConn and a 2nd in a good draft if he wasn't certain he would be able to re-sign Roy.

With all players healthy and playing to potential, this is a very scary, skilled roster from top to bottom.

Why the hell do we want to keep booth anyways? He's useless and only taking ice-time from Kassian, Higgins, Hansen and Jensen.

You realize that our 4th line is paid 5M+ and our "third" only 3 LOL.

Gaunce won't make the team.

Booth is turnig 28 and his best season was 60 pts 4 years ago. How can we expect these numbers getting better??? Give him the boot

I'm of the opinion that we (Gillis/the Canucks) will look at his performance and how he meshes with this roster over the last few weeks of the season and the playoffs and if it's deemed worthwhile to fit him in, we will.

Luongo WILL be gone by next fall and depending on what we bring back in salary with that and what happens with Ballard, Raymond, Booth etc will all be shaken out. But I do agree with the OP's sentiment which seems to be that we don't HAVE TO or NEED to get rid of Booth if don't want to.

All I understand from the OP is that we will have to wave goodbye to two of of the following players: Booth, Ballard or Roy. The only possible way Roy stays is if he signs for 4.5 million or less (assuming Lu is finally moved). Even then we are going to be insanely tight to the cap ceiling. We will have to make some trades and/or buy out a contract in the off-season.

Edit: the only thing I disagree with in the OP is the generous placement of rookies. Not going to happen.

All I understand from the OP is that we will have to wave goodbye to two of of the following players: Booth, Ballard or Roy. The only possible way Roy stays is if he signs for 4.5 million or less (assuming Lu is finally moved). Even then we are going to be insanely tight to the cap ceiling. We will have to make some trades and/or buy out a contract in the off-season.

Edit: the only thing I disagree with in the OP is the generous placement of rookies. Not going to happen.

I like what you have put together here for the most part. I think keeping booth over Raymond is a risk. I don't like letting Raymond go for nothing. Could we sign him and tryto trade him and if we cant hen buyout booth? Hansen is to good to be on thefourth line butgiven your lineup I'm not sure where else you would put him

Guest Gumballthechewy

F the cap decrease... wtf is this bull... as soon as canucks become a wealthy organization they put a cap? F the NHL ...

All those years I watched Detroit n avs hammer us and we spent half the money they did and now we get screwed because of the cap ...

Sorry had to vent. I hate the cap

Why dont we work mutually with another team that needs to buy someone out, and sign their player at a low price after we buy out booth or ballard. For example, we buy out Booth, and he gets signed by Philly. Then Philly buys out Briere and we sign him cheap. Provide each team with much needed cap relief

So in all of the posts I have been reading on this board since Roy's acquisition about Roy being a rental, or we can't keep both Booth and Roy etc, etc I felt it prudent to centralize this specific discussion lest someone not see all the numbers line up.

Here goes:

Sedin (6.100) / Sedin (6.100) / Burrows (4.500) 16.700

Booth (4.250) / Roy (5.000) / Kesler (5.000) 14.250

Jensen (0.894) / Schroeder (1.025) / Kassian (0.870) 2.789

Higgins (2.500) / Gaunce (1.088) / Hansen (1.350) 4.938

Edler (5.000) / Tanev (1.200) 6.200

Hamhuis (4.500) / Bieksa (4.600) 9.100

Garrison (4.600) / Corrado (0.600) 5.200

Schneider (4.000)

Lack (0.750)

Cap Ceiling 2013-2014 = 64.300

Cap Hit 2013-2014 = 63.927

Remaining Cap Room: 0.373

The above assumes the following roster moves:

Player raises:

Pre-Negotiated

• Alexandre Burrows: 4.500 AAV

• Alexander Edler: 5.000 AAV

• Chris Higgins 2.500 AAV

Proposed

• Derek Roy: 5.000 AAV, Term 5 years (4.500 Year 1, 4.500 Year 2, 5.000 Year 3, 5.000 Year 4, 6.000 Year 5)

• Jordan Schroeder: 1.025 AAV, Term 3 years (100% salary match, RFA Qualification)

• Chris Tanev: 1.200 AAV, Term 3 years (1.00 Year 1, 1.200 Year 2, 1.400 Year 3)

Players on ELC:

• Nicklas Jensen

• Zack Kassian

• Brendan Gaunce

• Frank Corrado

Let walk as UFA:

• Mason Raymond

• Maxim Lapierre (or re-sign to a short 1-2 year contract worth what he's getting now if Gaunce is not ready)

Salary dumps for picks/prospects or amnesty buyouts:

• Roberto Luongo (5.330 AAV)

• Keith Ballard (4.250 AAV)

Gillis has a lot of flexibility when it comes to next season, I would be content with either of the following scenarios:

1. Cap dump Luongo to Florida for picks and prospects, buyout Ballard

2. Cap dump Luongo to Florida for picks and prospects, cap dump Ballard for a late pick

3. Buyout Luongo and Ballard if no one bites at all

4. Keep Luongo, trade Schneider for an impact forward for the T6 with equal or less salary coming back (Schneider for Couturier + Picks), Cap dump/buyout Ballard

I don't believe that Gillis is willing to give up on Booth just yet, not when he's suffered exceedingly bad luck every time he appears to be rounding the corner and putting together a complete game.

I also highly doubt Gillis would have given up KConn and a 2nd in a good draft if he wasn't certain he would be able to re-sign Roy.

With all players healthy and playing to potential, this is a very scary, skilled roster from top to bottom.

Trust me he will be, he loves it here and us fans and gillis knows that their is no better 4th line center then him when he is told to be physical, I dont know what the contract will be but i can see anything from 2-4 years about 1.25 per season

Gaunce will not be ready by next season. He needs at least another season in the OHL before we give him a look. And even then he's probably gonna need a season in the AHL too.

Jensen or Kassian will hopefully be ready for top 6 duties so that we can use Booth's salary to upgrade our D. That D is not nearly good enough if we wanna stay a top team.

People, wake up. The only goalie after the draft will be Luongo and Schneider will be moved. Everyone tried to move Lu, but his contract is too much for the other teams, and it doesn't matter what is coming back the other way. Gillis knows, Gilman knows (but both won't admit it), Acquillini knows and he knows he is not writing out 30 Schmil for Luongo to walk. The only option left to do is trade Schneider and there are at least 3 rational for doing that

1. It's not like Luongo can't play, he still can. Still has a good 3-4 years left in him whether you like him or not. This team will still remain competitive with him in goal rather you are a Luongo hater or not.

2. Given what Ben Bishop went for at the deadline, a top end young prospect in Cory Conacher, you can imagine what you can fetch with Cory Schneider. No need to do stats comparison here between Schneider and Bishop. Schneider >> Bishop, end of story.

3. After this season, Schneider will have 2 years left on his deal. Guess what, 2 years from now, we are walking into the exact same situation as we are in now, yeah, Schneider will want long term, big contract, likely 8 years (max), with a cap hit of at least 6 mil. And guess what, with Schneider being "our" guy at that time, Gillis, whether he is still in charge or not, or whichever GM is in charge at that time, will be forced to give him that value, and term, as Schneider will be UFA by then, which means, if the Canucks doesn't pay up, someone will in the open market.

That being said, we trade Schneider at the draft for top end young players. Draft a top end goaltending prospect at this up coming draft, groom that prospect along with Lack to create a competition for future #1. Let Lu play his 3-4 years here and remain competitive. After 4 years, Lu will likely retire, and our new guy will likely be the guy we drafted or Lack, and we will have the assets fetched in the Schneider trade to carry the torch from the twins and Kes.

Now that is proper asset management

Archived