The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roy is not a rental, Booth won't be bought out next year

VanGnome

Whether I agree with it or not, Gillis himself has stated that with the cap coming down next season it will be critical for the young Canucks to step up and contribute whilst still on their ELC's.

I can't find the exact quote/source but that was the gist of it.

I find it a little incredulous that people look at the line up proposed and say "Higgins on the 4th line after signing for 2.5/year lols".

With the talent and depth on that roster (I mistakenly neglected to include the 22/23 man portion of the roster, I was at work and it was a busy day), we would have what amounts to a 1a and 1b lines and 3a and 3b lines. In effect it would allow for the time to be more evenly distributed across the roster (20 minutes per night for each of the top two lines and 10 minutes a night for each of the bottom two lines) and even time spread across all 3 defensive pairings) which reduces the wear and tear on the team as a whole and leaves for more reserve in the tank (which in theory also should reduce the chance of day to day injury).

Having faced the fact that at least 1 spare forward and 2 spare defence are needed (or vice versa) I retract my previous statement that Booth will not be bought out, in fact he will have to.

With regard to the young players stepping up, CDC is apparently never satisfied; look at the rookies around the league year after year excelling with playing time.There is absolutely no reason why the Canucks with the talent they have (Kassian, Shroeder, Jensen, Gaunce, Corrado) can't have them make the team and contribute significantly.

It's not like I've suggested they step up and play premier roles, but in fact play secondary roles (bottom six duty for Jensen, Shroeder, Kassian, Gaunce and bottom pairing minutes for Corrado). Tanev is 23 years old and has arguably been our best and most consistent defenceman this season, and that is high praise considering who we have in Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison.

For the Canucks to be competitive they have to inject the energy and skill of their youthful players into the line up sooner than later, and this does not mean "rushing" them. Rushing young players is what happened to Pascal Leclaire (remember him?), Gilbert Brule, Nikita Filatov, Steve Mason, etc (consequently these were all Blue Jackets prospects, lol). These kids were thrown into the league and asked to play major roles on their teams.

Gaunce will be 20 next year

Jensen will be 21 next year

Corrado will be 21 next year

Kassian will be 23 next year

Shroeder will be 23 next year

Eddie Lack will be 26 next year

These guys need to step into the line up to offset the speed, energy and youth around the league that is being relied upon year after year.

Draft picks on average are way more developed and have way higher skillsets now than they did 10 years ago, drafted at 18/19 they no longer need to be coddled until 24/25 before they are ready for the NHL.

Whether I agree with it or not, Gillis himself has stated that with the cap coming down next season it will be critical for the young Canucks to step up and contribute whilst still on their ELC's.

I can't find the exact quote/source but that was the gist of it.

I find it a little incredulous that people look at the line up proposed and say "Higgins on the 4th line after signing for 2.5/year lols".

With the talent and depth on that roster (I mistakenly neglected to include the 22/23 man portion of the roster, I was at work and it was a busy day), we would have what amounts to a 1a and 1b lines and 3a and 3b lines. In effect it would allow for the time to be more evenly distributed across the roster (20 minutes per night for each of the top two lines and 10 minutes a night for each of the bottom two lines) and even time spread across all 3 defensive pairings) which reduces the wear and tear on the team as a whole and leaves for more reserve in the tank (which in theory also should reduce the chance of day to day injury).

Having faced the fact that at least 1 spare forward and 2 spare defence are needed (or vice versa) I retract my previous statement that Booth will not be bought out, in fact he will have to.

With regard to the young players stepping up, CDC is apparently never satisfied; look at the rookies around the league year after year excelling with playing time.There is absolutely no reason why the Canucks with the talent they have (Kassian, Shroeder, Jensen, Gaunce, Corrado) can't have them make the team and contribute significantly.

It's not like I've suggested they step up and play premier roles, but in fact play secondary roles (bottom six duty for Jensen, Shroeder, Kassian, Gaunce and bottom pairing minutes for Corrado). Tanev is 23 years old and has arguably been our best and most consistent defenceman this season, and that is high praise considering who we have in Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison.

For the Canucks to be competitive they have to inject the energy and skill of their youthful players into the line up sooner than later, and this does not mean "rushing" them. Rushing young players is what happened to Pascal Leclaire (remember him?), Gilbert Brule, Nikita Filatov, Steve Mason, etc (consequently these were all Blue Jackets prospects, lol). These kids were thrown into the league and asked to play major roles on their teams.

Gaunce will be 20 next year

Jensen will be 21 next year

Corrado will be 21 next year

Kassian will be 23 next year

Shroeder will be 23 next year

Eddie Lack will be 26 next year

Take it from someone who has actually watched Gaunce. He's not ready for the NHL. Sure he could have a great summer and impress at camp. But I don't think management will want to give him 8 minutes a night on the fourth line, when he can be playing 20 minutes a night in junior.

He still has alot of areas of his game to develop, especially his offensive game. He's not going to be able to do that very well playing a fourth line role.

As for all of those other players, there's a good chance they'll all be on the team. Except for maybe Corrado, who may need a bit more time in the AHL before he's ready.

I don't see it. Rushing Gaunce into a 4th line role isn't what's best for him or the team.

Yes he's good defensively, but he still needs time to get faster and stronger. He has the potential to be a great player, maybe even a second liner. But not if we stunt his development by putting him in before he's ready.

Take it from someone who has actually watched Gaunce. He's not ready for the NHL. Sure he could have a great summer and impress at camp. But I don't think management will want to give him 8 minutes a night on the fourth line, when he can be playing 20 minutes a night in junior.

He still has alot of areas of his game to develop, especially his offensive game. He's not going to be able to do that very well playing a fourth line role.

As for all of those other players, there's a good chance they'll all be on the team. Except for maybe Corrado, who may need a bit more time in the AHL before he's ready.

What D upgrade do you recommend?

Gaunce will not be ready by next season. He needs at least another season in the OHL before we give him a look. And even then he's probably gonna need a season in the AHL too.

Jensen or Kassian will hopefully be ready for top 6 duties so that we can use Booth's salary to upgrade our D. That D is not nearly good enough if we wanna stay a top team.

A good case made by the OP.

Bottom line; Roy or an alternate key player requires a bare minimum 2/3rds of Booth/Lou/Ballard moved on.

Edler is also a possibility. Not because he's a problem. Because we have depth at left D. And he is an extremely attractive lure.

After 45 (?) odd years I believe we finally deserve a true Norris candidate puck rushing, PP quarterback D! And considering our team, probably a right side version?

In a semi-rebuild, any way of converting the combined salary caps of Roy, Lou, Ballard and Booth should provide the opportunity. And sacrificing Edler if necessary.

Nothing short of this would provide us a better opportunity at a cup. Cutting losses on whatever, and whenever, amongst those contracts above; this should be the sole focus of our off season.

But if the alternate contracts are converted, sure I'm all for looking at Roy...

Kesler started out on the 4th line as a 19 year old and he's done pretty well for himself, as has O'reilly as an 18 year old.

Tanev, Raymond, Hansen and Edler have all developed fine under AV. Kesler and Bieksa also started making an impact when AV took over. Ryane Clowe just this week said that AV helped him become the player he today because of great coaching in juniors.

AV can coach young players, I believe they used to say Hitchcock couldn't coach young player before as well. Tarasenko, Oshie, Perron, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Allen, Schwartz, etc. you catch my drift?

Playboi's comments are fine.

Add to them; Kesler was also a first round pick. Why? He was tall, had some talent, but more importantly very fit, highly athletic and played with vigour. He did not offer AV the downside, or any excuse not to play him.

Nor did we have the depth. With his play, he was the best option. Hodgson, Schroeder has the same problem, had to compete with Kesler and Sedin to get established. And CoHo was perhaps more talented, but a more one dimensional player when he arrived. He did not offer AV the same athletic body which solved match ups & did offer him excuses for accountability. We signed guys like Demitra and Sundin to compliment Kesler, the Twins because we did not have the veterans we do at the moment.

The circumstances were different.

The Canucks under Gillis and AV do not have a history of trusting young players even as the 4th line center and prefer veteran players and minor league plugs. So what Kesler did is irrelevant and any other team's management of young players is apples to oranges.

Hodgson, Shirokov, etc did not develop nicely with AV so an argument can be made on both sides. History is not with young guys breaking out on this team until AFTER their ELC and they are given their bigger contracts. Gaunce and Corraado will not be on the team next year unless the cap leaves absolutely no alternative.

Do you have the quote where Clowe said that specifically about AV? I have looked to find his comments about AV but do not see anything (obviously I am just curious now as he is not a Canuck).

The Canucks under Gillis and AV do not have a history of trusting young players even as the 4th line center and prefer veteran players and minor league plugs. So what Kesler did is irrelevant and any other team's management of young players is apples to oranges.

Hodgson, Shirokov, etc did not develop nicely with AV so an argument can be made on both sides. History is not with young guys breaking out on this team until AFTER their ELC and they are given their bigger contracts. Gaunce and Corraado will not be on the team next year unless the cap leaves absolutely no alternative.

Do you have the quote where Clowe said that specifically about AV? I have looked to find his comments about AV but do not see anything (obviously I am just curious now as he is not a Canuck).

Kesler started out on the 4th line as a 19 year old and he's done pretty well for himself, as has O'reilly as an 18 year old.

Tanev, Raymond, Hansen and Edler have all developed fine under AV. Kesler and Bieksa also started making an impact when AV took over. Ryane Clowe just this week said that AV helped him become the player he today because of great coaching in juniors.

This won't work, OP(though it's nice to see the numbers layed out/interesting topic); we're putting the weight of the world on the little'uns. It's a conundrum, to be sure.

Solution I like is packaging Lu AND Booth/Ballard to get back good pieces, PLUS one lousy contract(Bryz, LeCav, Dipietro, etc...) to amnesty. It's costly, but if the young pieces were prominent, would be a beauty-resolution.

The Aquilini's MUST know they'd recoup that $$$ in this market!

If Florida took Lou and Ballard; I'd be happy to take Campbell back. Or Ballard somewhere else...

Only 4 or 6 guys in the league offer what he does, and we need it.

florida will not take luongo without dumping a crap contract back on us ...they dont have the money .. luongo is set to make more money next year than all 3 of their goalies made this year.... if luongo goes to florida we are going to end up with jovo or campbell... and gillis and the coaching staff didnt think Kconn was as good as us fans think he is or else they wouldnt have went out and signed barker when most of us believed kconn could easily be playing over barker ballard and alberts and never got his chance. so as we might see it as gillis gave up alot to get Roy im sure gillis doesnt see it that way.

Archived