#31 Belsy91

Belsy91

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

There is a reason why they were "under the radar" NO ONE CARES

Edited by Belsy91, 05 April 2013 - 09:36 PM.

TWINS HUNT FOR 1000

9177.png= GP.1010- G.193- A.649 = 842 PTS

9152.png= GP.979- G.307- A.498 = 805 PTS

#32 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

Actually, I like this thread. It points out that some more players I rooted for during Canada's World Junior dominance have marched another step towards the NHL.

It also points out who the redundant, internet, weiner-whiners are although, I would rather they stay silent.

Minister, do you really think all of Calgary's 2011 picks will play for them in the NHL? I might be able to say they did "really well" in 5 or 6 years. I admit though, I don't see these plays play enough so all I can go off of is stats.

#33 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

Actually, I like this thread. It points out that some more players I rooted for during Canada's World Junior dominance have marched another step towards the NHL.

It also points out who the redundant, internet, weiner-whiners are although, I would rather they stay silent.

Minister, do you really think all of Calgary's 2011 picks will play for them in the NHL? I might be able to say they did "really well" in 5 or 6 years. I admit though, I don't see these plays play enough so all I can go off of is stats.

I honestly do - that is a very good group.
Posted Image

#34 OurTimeToShine

OurTimeToShine

Otis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,093 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

I honestly do - that is a very good group.

Agreed.

Brossoit - don't know too much can't comment

Wotherspoon - 2nd pair upside, very solid defensive dman

Granlund - skilled guy, has 2nd line upside if all things go well

Baertschi - gem of the group, has star upside IMO

Gaudreau - tiny but ultra skilled, for where he was picked it will likely be one of the biggest steals in that draft, with Calgary's lack of depth he should get an opportunity to be a real good player

Posted Image

Thanks -Vintage Canuck-!!!

#35 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

Agreed.

Brossoit - don't know too much can't comment

Wotherspoon - 2nd pair upside, very solid defensive dman

Granlund - skilled guy, has 2nd line upside if all things go well

Baertschi - gem of the group, has star upside IMO

Gaudreau - tiny but ultra skilled, for where he was picked it will likely be one of the biggest steals in that draft, with Calgary's lack of depth he should get an opportunity to be a real good player

I did like watching Wotherspoon playing with the Winterhawks this year. And I know Granlund should be good, and Baertschi is already on the team, just the others I wasn't sure about.

I suppose that could mean some nice and entertaining games between Calgary and Edmonton again finally, you know, in 4 or 5 years when the Flames catch up... I wonder if Flames fans give Feaster this credit, or if they are too busy wishing the rebuild began way earlier. Let's see what 2013 has in store for him first I suppose.

#36 Please Call 911

Please Call 911

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

Haha, it's ridculous for me, a person who is big on prospects and one of my favorite things about hockey is checking out prospects to see all these people going OMG WHO THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE.........

But seriously, how do you not know who Strome is.....who Wotherspoon is......who Brossoit is....

Posted Image

Please Call 911

Thanks Mash!

#37 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

I've never heard of a single person on your list lol

Really? Not even Ryan Strome? Of all the names on there, Ryan Strome has to be the one that pops out the most

#38 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,253 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

I can't believe how many people are making "who cares" posts in this thread. I'll tell you who cares: Those of us with more than just a passing interest in the game and like to know what's on the horizon as far a up-and-coming players go...

If you honestly don't care, then prove it by taking you snide remarks somewhere else.

Minister: Thanks for the effort. Believe it or not, some people around here appreciate it.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#39 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,294 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

I don't necessarily think they're all going to have careers in the NHL but its important to look at the context of the selections when assessing if Calgary 'did very well' in that draft.

Firstly, 2011 wasn't a particularly strong draft year and the Flames had one first, two 2nds (acquired along with Horak for holdout Tim Erixon), one 4th and a 6th. That's a fairly average draft position, not different than most, and fairly typical of their last ten years from which they have generally done poorly in finding players.

Secondly, Calgary had a very weak system, near the bottom in terms of quantity of viable prospects, and they acquired a decent young player with each pick. Moreover, since that draft day each of those 5 players have progressed well enough that if the draft were redone today they would all be ranked higher than their actual draft position, with the exception of Baertschi.

Baertschi raised some eyebrows when taken 13th overall ahead of players like Oleksiak, Armia, Beaulieau and Miller, as there were questions regarding his strength though his skill was undeniable. Since then he has proven able to play against men in the AHL and thrived. He has put on strength and looks to have legitimate 1st line potential. He has the added benefit of bring a natural choice for every international tournament for the next decade. Solid pick.

Granlund has the misfortune of not being as talented as his brother but is a decent player in his own right. Considering his lack of competition ahead of him on the depth chart, he will get ample opportunity to play himself into a top 6 role. He should, at the very least, be a serviceable two way 3rd line centre for the big club for the immediate future.

With their second 2nd the Flames took Wotherspoon who, since being drafted, has been selected twice for Team Canada at the WJC (no small feat) and been a top defender on a powerhouse Portland team who has a decent chance to win the Memorial Cup. Very good pick.

John Gaudreau was a high risk, high reward pick on the 4th due to his extremely small stature and that he was coming out of the USHL. In two years he could have already busted but has played very well at Boston College and dominated at points against his peers at the WJC. He had increased his value since then and looks to be a strong complimentary AHL forward at least. Good pick.

Brossoit, as a 6th round goalie, was a long shot to begin with. All he has done since is be arguably the best goaltender in the WHL over the last two years. He even got the call for Canada and was invited to the WJC selection camp and, if selected on camp performance, should have made the team. He has NHL goalie size and has intriguing potential. Great pick.

So, in hindsight, Calgary seems to have nabbed three guys in Baertschi, Granlund and Wotherspoon, who will help the NHL roster for sure with two more who will at minimum help the minor league team. This was all bearing in mind how desperately the Flames need young help, even moreso now that the rebuild has begun in earnest.

IMHO, they've gotten 3 NHLers and two more possibles out of 5 picks. That's excellent in any year as you could only reasonably expect to get two players with those picks. Keep in mind, statistically, that most teams will show much worse when all is said and done. I think it's very fair, considering their need and franchise position, to say they did very well in that draft. It was exactly what they needed when they needed it most.

Edited by theminister, 06 April 2013 - 12:54 PM.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#40 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

^^ great breakdown.
Posted Image

#41 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Strome is up to 4 points in 2 games for Bridgeport.

Him, Nelson and Nino have been just been on fire since Strome made the jump
Posted Image

#42 MikeBossy

MikeBossy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

Couple signings that caught my eye were Dmitrij Jaskin with the Blues - having a great season in the QMJHL and Harrison Roupp with Pittsburgh (Big D man who can hit)

Thanks to R.Luongo. for the amazing sig

#43 Dr. Hockey

Dr. Hockey

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Wasn't Strome in the WJHC for Canada?

Thanks for the thread, I appreciate the work! I don't understand why some on CDc are so quick to be rude.

#44 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Cool story bro

Nah you made it to entice a reaction.

Here's mine: Yawn.

(pic removed)

Because some of those players are nobodies. I understand including the bigger name players but were the rookie signings necessary? Whatever though, good thread otherwise

The wagon sure is getting full these days. And people think they've all gone away because we're not top of the league in points.

Edited by nateb123, 06 April 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#45 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

The wagon sure is getting full these days. And people think they've all gone away because we're not top of the league in points.

What? Are u actually referring to the bandwagon?
Posted Image

#46 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

:picard:

Rookies are nobodies? I can't believe how dumb a comment that is.

Yes, the rookie signings were necessary. They are the reason for the gosh darn thread in the first place.

You may be surprised to learn this but there are fans of many teams in the NHL, including those who are interested in league-wide goings on, who use CDC regularly. I believed they would like to see what signings their teams made that they may not have heard about because they got buried in the news. Many of these 'nobodies' you refer to are very important pieces for organizations going forward. It also indicates that they will not be re-entering the draft.

I dont even know what to say to this. :picard:

You tell me when

Buffalo - Tim Schaller Signed to a two-year, entry-level contract

Detroit - Jared Coreau Signed to a three-year, entry-level contract

NY Islanders - Anders Lee Signed to a two-year, entry-level contract

NY Islanders - Andrei Pedan Signed to an entry-level contract

San Jose - Chris Tierney Signed to a three-year, entry-level contract

San Jose - Daniil Tarasov Signed to a two-year entry-level contract

San Jose - Matthew Nieto Signed to an entry-level contract

San Jose - Christopher Crane Signed to an entry-level contract

Tampa Bay - Luke Witkowski Signed to a two-year contract

Toronto - Andrew MacWilliam Signed to a two-year contract

Washington - Nate Schmidt Signed to a two-year, entry-level contract

any of these players play in the nhl and then ill admit you were right but i guarantee most of these players will not play in the nhl let alone play a significant role. I cant believe how dumb a comment this was: "Rookies are nobodies?"

I never said rookies were nobodies.
Posted Image

#47 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

Assistant to Regional Manager

• Members
  • 14,288 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

CANUCKS CANUCKS CANUCKS, SEDINS, KEZLERRRRR, BURRRRR, EDLER 4 NORRIS, KASSASSIN THE NEXT BERTUZZI, JENSENNNNN, SCHNEIDERMANNNN, TRADE LUUUUUUUUUUUU, MAY-RAYYYY, HONEY BADGER, HIGGGYYY, LAPPY, ROY BABY, JUUIICEEEE, HAMMERRR, TANEV OUR BEST D-MAN, WEISE RIPPIN UP THE DUTCH LEAGUE, MANNNNYYYYY.

There are Canuck fans and there are hockey fans.

Some people don't appreciate/care about other teams, players, thus huge homerism and bias by Canuck fans.

Rarely you will see an educated discussion on these boards.

You will be missed.

#48 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

I dont even know what to say to this. :picard:

You tell me when

NY Islanders - Anders Lee Signed to a two-year, entry-level contract
Anders is already on the Isle's roster and has scored a goal.

NY Islanders - Andrei Pedan Signed to an entry-level contract
Big mobile defenceman, put up great point numbers in the OHL.

San Jose - Chris Tierney Signed to a three-year, entry-level contract
2nd round pick last year that improved drastically this season.

San Jose - Daniil Tarasov Signed to a two-year entry-level contract
Putting up great numbers in the AHL this year and is only 21.

San Jose - Matthew Nieto Signed to an entry-level contract
2nd round pick who has been very impressive in his brief AHL stint.

any of these players play in the nhl and then ill admit you were right but i guarantee most of these players will not play in the nhl let alone play a significant role. I cant believe how dumb a comment this was: "Rookies are nobodies?"

I never said rookies were nobodies.

All of these players will get NHL time, quote me on it.
One has already :lol:

If people don't know who most of the names on the original list are, then they have a lot to learn about the going on's for other teams in then NHL.

Edited by Jägermeister, 06 April 2013 - 03:15 PM.

Posted Image

#49 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

What? Are u actually referring to the bandwagon?

#50 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

I don't necessarily think they're all going to have careers in the NHL but its important to look at the context of the selections when assessing if Calgary 'did very well' in that draft.

Firstly...

begun in earnest.

IMHO, they've gotten 3 NHLers and two more possibles out of 5 picks. That's excellent in any year as you could only reasonably expect to get two players with those picks. Keep in mind, statistically, that most teams will show much worse when all is said and done. I think it's very fair, considering their need and franchise position, to say they did very well in that draft. It was exactly what they needed when they needed it most.

Thanks for that breakdown. I learned something here for sure, and I had also forgotten Calgary hadn't had a full compliment of picks. Definitely makes it more impressive. I'd like to shift my position a bit and say that in 5-6 years I'll compare it to how many other 2011 draftees have careers in the NHL.

Wasn't Strome in the WJHC for Canada?

Thanks for the thread, I appreciate the work! I don't understand why some on CDc are so quick to be rude.

Yeah, the years that Canada never performed all that well in my opinion. I thought he played good from what I remember. I hope he plays with Tavares soon in Brooklyn. The Isles sure could use the help.

#51 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

All of these players will get NHL time, quote me on it.
One has already :lol:

If people don't know who most of the names on the original list are, then they have a lot to learn about the going on's for other teams in then NHL.

Ohhh well then my bad, now that u say that andres lee sounds familiar, my bad
Posted Image

#52 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Im just asking because if u r referring to the bandwagon then that is hilarious. To be honest with u, i hate bandwagoners. They are really annoying. I am definitely not one. And the quotes u chose had nothing to do with bandwagoners. If thats wat u were referring to
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.