The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Luongo Vote

Canucks_Hockey_101

The Luongo Vote  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The trade deadline for this short season has passed and Luongo remains a Canucks. Much has been said either directly or indirectly by many parties around the league.

TSN panel reported that the demand in return for Luongo had changed in light of the Canucks acquiring Derek Roy, a second line center that was sorely needed, therefore nagating the rumored demand for Bozak out of Toronto. Dregger later reported within 10 minutes of the trade deadline, that an offer was refused by Toronto that would see Luongo shipped for two 2nd round picks and Scrivens.

Shortly after the deadline pad passed, TSN's panel further discussed the Luongo situation and it was suggested that perhaps since Luongo's contract is nearly immovable, that it might be a good idea, if not forced, to trade Schneider instead, who would garner better returns as his contract would be a two year, four million dollar per year contract by summer's draft.

When asked what is the stumbling block to Luongo not being traded, Luongo himself, in a human, humble and honest moment, said: "My contract sucks". This seems to have angered Mike Gillis who had a press conference following Luongo's. When asked whether there has been dialogue between himself and Luongo, Gillis answered the question with a firm "yes" and then proceeded to stare down the reporter for a length of time; a tactic employed to convince someone regardless of the answer being truthful or not.

Luongo's contract might be a blatant impass at this point but lets not forget that the present circumstances are very unusual; a shortened season, an uncertain CBA landscape, a reduction in salary cap and new rules to the game behind the game.

What should the Canucks do with the Luongo case?

I think theres a good chance that Luongo gets really pissed off and plays like an absolute beast for us when needed.

He could want Dave Nonis in the depths of hell and go Conn Smythe on us , there is a chance.

Theres a handful of elite goalies going into the playoffs and he's the most pissed off right now.

We need more guys on this team playing with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.

I dunno. I'm still wondering why a 12-yr deal was written up if the team wasn't prepared to live with it for 5.

Now with a cap crunch, we're in a fair bit of trouble next season.

Better win it this season. Good thing we were 'all in' at the deadline.

Archived