The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler proving why hes our #1 D-man

Merely

That's a poor excuse for an excuse. 26 is the time when most defenseman are in their prime. You know who is only six months older than Edler? Shea Weber.

You see the problem with Edler isn't his shot. That howitzer is still an effective weapon as proven in the last game against Nashville. Edler's missle from the point was beyond Rinne's ability to stop.

He is still an effective puck mover on the power play and has enough speed to stay in the play with the Sedins, Kesler, and the rest of em.

Edler's issue is his mental gaffes, his refusal to use his size (except for on goaltenders), and his lack of net presence.

In his own zone, he is still real goofy. He looks shaky and like more of a bystander than an invested member of the team willing to get dirty.

He has blocked some shots and is using his ability to pick the opposing teams pocket more.

The man needs to find real consistency in his game. If he can take a cue from Henrik and release the beast within, our defense will benefit greatly from it.

Edler is nowhere near the best defenseman on the team. He can be, but he isn't there right now.

And if his back is still injured, the team shouldn't be playing him.

Tanev and Hamhuis have been our best D this year though Garrison and Edler have turned it on a little bit lately...Edler reminds me a little bit of Jovo when he was here (though Jovo was by far the better puck mover), lots of turnovers for both, trying to get in on the offense causing some defensive lapses.

shea weber? the 21 points defenseman who is getting pay for 14 million in this and each of the next 3 seasons? If he's a cancucks, he would be chew up by fans such as yourself.

this "every player on another team are better than the ones on ours." mentality is getting retarded.

We need Edler to be successful in the Playoffs. He has the size to battle the big boys. Hamhuis showed this when he went down after checking Lucic. Edler has had his issues but they are overblown. The less knowledgable fans seem to need a scapegoat every season. When they choose one they overhype every little error. He will be a solid player for us for 8-10 more years hopefully.

What's with the hate for Aaron Rome? I personally like the guy and I think he would've done well with a regular top 6 pairing.. Sure he has his liabilities but who doesn't? (aside from maybe Lidstrom and Niedermayer)... Rome is a solid 6th d-man for any team and I honestly rather have him than Alberts

Glad to see Eddie finding a bit more balance. Less mistakes for sure.

The haters in this thread revealed they did not watch the game with transparency or even anything close to resembling a critical eye for the game unfolding.

In fact the team D as a whole looked much better than we have seen the last while. When that happens, it flatters the blueliners.

Theoretically, you have a point.  However, the number of people who notice the same plays appears to have grown substantially.

I cannot recall insulting you or anybody else - so I will let the others be the judge as to who is a jerk.  Or who is more full of himself, as I have never claimed that anything (be it experience, age, size of my house or whatever else), gives me any special rights on this board.

My point was simply to watch him more attentively, in case you have not followed Edler specifically.  

Let alone that I have a long history of pointing that Edler is mediocre at best, I would have not signed Elder's extension simply based on his performance in last year's playoffs. Would have waited for him to prove he deserved a very good contract - MG jumped the gun.

I also look at his defensive play, which to me is even more important.

In summary, I am not looking for 6 perfect Ds at $3M each.  But while I can live with the other Ds' mistakes, I prefer not to with Edler's (too many and too serious, in my view).  Nobody is asking you to agree with me.  Do you find it so difficult to keep this discussion as a duel of ideas?

See, this is the problem with people who have an issue with a certain player. They watch him like a hawk and jump on every mistake they can find in order to feel vindication for their negative opinion of said player.

I went through exactly the same thing with Bieksa, back when he was the resident CDC whipping boy. His detractors would watch his every move and immediately post "I told you so!" in the "Bieksa you are really...." thread. They would ignore enything positive that he may have done in the game and focus on purely the negative.

Where is the logic in your argument? What's a cancuck anyway?

Do me a favor, piggy. Go back to school and brush up on spelling and grammar. Then come back here with something to contribute. OK?

By the way, Shea Weber is a much better defenseman than Edler. If you can't understand that, you have no idea what is required by the position. It's not all about points.

Archived