The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler proving why hes our #1 D-man

Merely

Brilliant logic. I guess we should all use Crosby as a standard on how every 20 years old forwards should perform.

Weber's bonus count as his salary just like how it counts in his cap hit. You are using the most expensive defenseman in the history of the nhl as a standard on how edler should be fully develop at 26.

It's not unusual to see defenseman still improve their game in their late 20s, and judging from how edler played in the past, it's not hard to see he will find his game and continue to improve from his mistakes in the foreseeable future.

Most of you guys are just haters and need a hug. It was a very good game by the whole team but that doesn't stop some of you spewing your negativity, even the media has a better outlook than you guys.

For all the sad folks feeling a need to defend Edler, give it a f*&king rest.

We have a right to call out a player who has been a liability this season. The "negativity" towards Edler as nothing to do with the otherwise STELLAR play of the team yesterday.

The generalizations of "anti-Edler" comments is elementary, at best.

He has 5 goals and 12 assists but is -3. If all the Edlerites can't see that he is seriously underperforming, they are blind.

He has been on ice for four times as many goals against as he has scored.

Is that a team player? Is that someone who is holding up his end of the bargain? Is that someone who the forwards or the goaltenders can count on to help them out?

No it isn't. Not even close. But this team is that good that they can win without Edler contributing to the fullest extent of his ability.

We all know what he has been capable of in the past. But he hasn't shown that for at least a year. The playoffs will be the telling tale. I, for one, hope Edler can dig deep and find that monster that once plowed through Drew Doughty, Patrick Kane and others like a rake through leaves.

Edler has been sub par this season. The season isn't over yet though. If he can become a well rounded defenseman, then Gillis' decision to sign him to a six year deal is worth it.

Pro or anti edler. Give it a break - I Guess people have to be for or against something to have an opinion? Facts are short but opinions long.

This year he is coming off a major injury and surgery. Has he sucked since his back problems began? Bout a year ago? Yes, absolutely. Was he better before that? Without a doubt.

Look at the history of players and injuries. Takes a year to recover from a serious injury. Period. That year the player will not play up to their potential and will not be the same. If the year goes well and they don't aggravate the Injury or it actually heals - they can regain their form.

Edler is getting better. - he is trusting his back more?

Edler has been brutal pretty much all season and has had a very inconsistent career. People are noticing now more then ever because his play has managed to deteriorate even worse for some reason.

Players should be getting better over time and Edler just keeps getting worse and now even the big hits he used to be able to lay out are non existent.

From what i've seen lately it looks like Bieksa knows who he is stuck with and has been noticable saving Edlers a$$ quite a few times while Edler has been lost wandering around and tripping over himself in front of the net. He always looks like he is a step behind mentally and physically with his slow skating it scares me whenever he's on the ice.

Even with Edlers shaky inconsistent play over the years i used to have some hope Edler be a more solid dependable defensemen one day now it looks as though that would be a miracle.

Surely coach Bowness and maybe guys like Hamhuis could have taught him a few things by now or he could have learned from all his mistakes but hasn't at all its a head scratcher to me.

When MG signed him i was pretty pi$$ed off and had a good feeling it would haunt us and so far that signing of that big fat contract is looking like another big mistake.

Worst Canuck defenceman all season long. Period. Edler needs to play physically to be effective. In all the games he's thrown big hits, he's been a factor. I don't care if he scores a sweet end-to-end goal every other game, if he's not solid in his own end then we don't need him - he's hurting this team defensively more than he's helping offensively.

Hamhuis has been pretty bad as well, he and Edler combined have really dragged this D core down which is the opposite of what they did last season. Meanwhile, Garrison and Bieksa are really stepping up for us. Huge goals by Bieksa, amazing defence by Garrison (look at his stellar +/- on a crummy plus-team).

I was just glad I didn't see him do that sweet drop pass in the neutral zone when he has a full head of steam, killing any momentum they had moving into the offensive zone on the PP.

I don't think it is a secret Edler is struggling and has been since the middle of last season, as some have stated he is best when playing big, taking the body, the opposition isn't scared to enter the zone when Edler is out there as they have nothing to fear, if they come at him with speed, he is too slow to respond.

It is his play in his own zone that really scares me, his decision making is definitely in question, again they come at him with speed and it almost seems like he has trouble processing what he should do, which leads to a turnover and a scoring chance.

As Wallstreet stated above, they need to start cutting his minutes back, the last thing I want to see is another episode of Edler in the playoffs from last year.

Archived