The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler proving why hes our #1 D-man

Merely

Where is the logic in your argument? What's a cancuck anyway?

Do me a favor, piggy. Go back to school and brush up on spelling and grammar. Then come back here with something to contribute. OK?

By the way, Shea Weber is a much better defenseman than Edler. If you can't understand that, you have no idea what is required by the position. It's not all about points.

Edler proving that he is our biggest trade bait

He has allstar status around the league and look what T.O was rumoured to give PHX for Yandle- Kadri, 1st, frattin

Gillis needs to make a bold move and increase our depth like what STL did trading their best dman at the time E.Johnson, for Stewart and Shattenkirk.

Edler is probably the most skilled blueliner on the team. His intelligence and puick skills are on par with Ohlund (poor-man's Lidstrom, by one account). He's even added grit and a booming slap shot to the mix. What we've yet to see more from him is leadership and consistency before he can emerge as a true #1 blueliner.

Ever since the Kings series last year (and I do put most of the blame on him for Canucks losing that series), Edler has been sloppy. He has a lazy play-style and that turns into open season for fore-checkers.

Hamuis and Tanev are our most solid defense men defensively right now. Especially Tanev, he just never screws up (not sarcasm).

My assumption is Edler's back was not fully healed until the past two weeks. Example is in the past two games I'm seeing Edler actually start playing physical. He also doesn't look as slow and hesitant like he was earlier in the season. So maybe he's got his strength back.

I will be glad when this drop pass thing just get removed from the playbook.

The fact that you immediately attack his use of grammar and spelling shows that he is correct in his statement stating that even Shea Weber would get ripped apart by fans in Vancouver.

How so? How does my being a grammar nazi prove that Weber would get torn apart by fans here? Where is the coorealtion?

I'm not sure how often you watch Weber but he is constantly standing in no mans land or getting burned by defenders - Duchene goal on Tuesday and Gaborik goal on wednesday. Last Saturday, he could've prevented a game winning OT goal by gapping up and taking the body on Parentau vs COL but instead he backed in and Parentau made a play which resulted in a goal.

Weber isn't perfect either. Never claimed he was. Although he is a much more initimidating physical presence than Edler and has a better +/-. He is a much better defensman than Edler. Much more consistent.

I could go on and on,

Please don't.

but what I'm pointing out is that you you're a fan of the negative variety. You will pick apart everyones play just like many others, doesnt matter if it's Loungo Luongo, Edler or Weber. No one is worth what they are paid if you only look at the negatives.

Please learn how to spell the names of players on the team, if you want to criticize someone else for being a negative fan. I am a realist, not a pessimist. It's just sensitive types like yourself who get you knickers in a twist when people criticize a player. I have never criticized Luongo, so I don't know what your talking about there.

For his stature within the teams framework, Edler has to be considered as an underperformer. He is the highest paid defenseman on the team, he should play like it every game. He doesn't. He needs to.

If you don't like it.....too freakin bad.

Edler is probably the most skilled blueliner on the team. His intelligence and puick skills are on par with Ohlund (poor-man's Lidstrom, by one account). He's even added grit and a booming slap shot to the mix. What we've yet to see more from him is leadership and consistency before he can emerge as a true #1 blueliner.

Edler has been showing up in the last couple of games. His howitzer tonight on the 4th goal was a welcome sight. He took a penalty late in the game but it was for a good cause.

He and Bieksa made the Flames pay the price tonight. A really great sign with less than ten games to go before the playoffs. If Edler turns it on from here on in.......

Edler's one skill consists of a big shot - there ends his skill.  Defensively, he is little better than a post several times each game, and his judgment as to when to retreat of the opposing blue line during a PP is terrible.  He is just a goal against waiting to happen most nights.

Edler was shaky last year and awful this year. This year, Garrison, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Tanev, and maybe even Ballard have been better - I guess 5th or 6th out of 8 for 5.2 mil must be a good thing in your opinion.

Edler skating up the ice and drop passing may be boring for you but it works. Which is why over half of the teams in the NHL have adopted the same style of PP breakout. It forces the defenders back, and when the drop pass comes, they stop and are left standing still - which makes it extremely hard as a player to check the attacker.

Look at Edlers +- over his career its been pathetic based on all the points he's generated with the Sedins.

I like our playoff chances but i am dreading seeing Edler fold like a cheap tent playing the likes of Kane, Toews, Getzlaf and Perry types like he did against the Kings.

If Edler plays brutal again this post season Gillis has got to get rid of this mistake in the off season.

What i am afraid i am now besides all the scoring chances being given up i am also noticing is with his overall bad play its causing panic situations by everyone around him, killing momentum and putting us on our heels.

If Gillis is anywhere near as smart as i hope he is he would see he made a mistake and trade Edler along with Luongo and get value this team could really use.

Archived