The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler proving why hes our #1 D-man

Merely

Since signing his fancy new big contract, Edler has not proven that he is our #1 D. He's been terribly inconsistent and very ordinary so far this season. I hope he can get his game together very soon in time for the playoffs, when he is on he makes the Canucks a top 4 team in the league probably.

Time for some consistency Edler!!!

Edler in the playoffs is scary, for us. He generates 3-4 chances for the other team per game, completely sabotaged us vs LA last year. We just can't afford another performance like that again. No one wins a series without their best players being their best players.

This could not be any more wrong. He is one of the most skilled blueliners in the league. This is so ridiculous it is completely laughable - especially in the light of really skilled D in the league like Karlssen, Weber, Subban, Keith, etc. His problem is with confidence. That and the fact that he stumbles around on the ice like a novice when making a pivot. Difficulty with gap control on one on ones and shaky puck handling are prime examples of this. That is because he can't read the play and has no judgment - further exemplified when he doesn't have a clue when to retreat from the point during a PP. There are reasons he has drawn comparisons to Lindstrom, because of his effortless skating and great on ice vision and awareness. He has drawn comparisons to Lidstrom only from idiots. When Edler takes control of the mental aspect of the game, he will be a dominant defencemen. Hockey at the NHL level, particularly for defencemen is PRIMARILY a mental game - which is why Edler has been sucking so badly - and why it often takes so long to develop defenders. He will never have the edge of a pronger or a weber, but with his ability to slow down the play and see the ice, he will be very successful. So, other than the fact that he makes poor reads, lacks judgment, and makes bad pivots - about all you have left is his shot - which is great at hitting PKers in the pads for breakaways, and if it wasn't for the fact that he is so mediocre, he could be compared to Lidstrom... but only in the negative sense - that he is precisely what Lidstrom was not - Lidstrom was a confident, thinking man's defenceman - and that definitely is not Edler.

Wow... alot of negativity re Edler here...

No doubt he can play better, and if the Canucks are going to make the playoffs and go past the first round, he going to have to perform better.

Recently the whole team IMO (especially at times last night) are playing very poorly in their own end.

What bugs me is that although he rarely is the worst D man in each game, he is also rarely the best. I think the contract he was given is the type of contract reserved for the undisputed best d on the team.Night in and night out he is outplayed by at least 2 other guys, sometimes guys making millions less than he is.

Ballard's contract was signed in a different city at a time when he was playing his best.

Edler's contract was signed at a time when his inconsistency was showing through.

I understand a lot of people believe he signed at a discount and what have you, but as far as that goes I think there are at least 4 other d that are playing better than their contracts pay, and Edler is not one of them.

Not saying I dislike the guy, it is great having him on the team and everyone seems to love him. I just feel that the contract he was given is more reserved for the likes of Hamhuis. If I could switch up the contracts:

Hamhuis - 5M

Garrison - 4.6M

Bieksa - 4.6M

Tanev - 4.5M

Edler - 4.2M

Ballard - 1.225M

Barker - 900K

Alberts - 700k

Sadly only two of the defensemen are being paid the contract in the pecking order they deserve.

Edler needs to be more physical, little bit more of a better shot and offensive skill, and steady. Seems if you forecheck hard on ALL of our d they choke and pass back and fourth then ice it.

My assumption is Edler's back was not fully healed until the past two weeks. Example is in the past two games I'm seeing Edler actually start playing physical. He also doesn't look as slow and hesitant like he was earlier in the season. So maybe he's got his strength back.

I will be glad when this drop pass thing just get removed from the playbook.

Overall the breaking point on Edler for me is even with all his the defensive gaffes, the surrendering of the puck on the oppositions forecheck, brutal turnovers, the getting caught of position, bad passes causing icing calls, lack of footspeed, too many missed shots, clumsy offensive blueline holds and panicking in front of our net falling all over missing chances at puck in the crease clearing is the fact that he is an absolute pu$$y in every way and has no personality, mental and physical toughness whatsoever.

The guy used to be able to the odd clever pass or big hit every once in a while and even those are nonexistent now.

For me some of Edlers liablities would at least be a little bit easier to take if he showed any kind of heart or emotion, was able to lay out the big hits he used to occasionally, was physical in the crease or ever put any scare into the opponent or be intimidating, defended and cleared the the goalies crease or was able to defend his teammates getting roughed up but he does absolutely none of that which as far as i am concerned is completely unacceptable to have if i was a coach or GM of this team.

To be honest i have never really like Edler in his 7 years as a Canuck because i thought he was more of a liability then all the Edler for Norris fans and that people were blinded due to his good hard shot, Sedin aided point totals and occasional hard hit now and then.

Now to my dismay now unfortunately he doesn't really do anything to help the team and his defensive skills have went from bad to brutal without absolutely no overall toughness whatsoever and now MG has signed him to a big fat long contract.

Sadly it's come to the point for me i would be ecstatic if he doesn't absolutely kill us come playoff time and it would be a miracle if he got his game together at this point.

Archived