Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Edler proving why hes our #1 D-man

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
184 replies to this topic

#61 RobberLuongo

RobberLuongo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

He's only 26 :( D-men develop relatively late compared to forwards, don't forget that.
"The more saves you make, the more they rally around you. And you do whatever it takes to keep them believing. That's what a city can do for a goalie, and a goalie can do for a city"

#1 Roberto Luongo

#62 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

So after the fan base chew up luongo until there is nothing left, their next target is edler and probably Kesler?

Watch out CDC, next season will have some fireworks in CDC ......

#63 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Only if "D" stands for dimwit

#64 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

He's only 26 :( D-men develop relatively late compared to forwards, don't forget that.

That's a poor excuse for an excuse. 26 is the time when most defenseman are in their prime. You know who is only six months older than Edler? Shea Weber.

You see the problem with Edler isn't his shot. That howitzer is still an effective weapon as proven in the last game against Nashville. Edler's missle from the point was beyond Rinne's ability to stop.

He is still an effective puck mover on the power play and has enough speed to stay in the play with the Sedins, Kesler, and the rest of em.

Edler's issue is his mental gaffes, his refusal to use his size (except for on goaltenders), and his lack of net presence.

In his own zone, he is still real goofy. He looks shaky and like more of a bystander than an invested member of the team willing to get dirty.

He has blocked some shots and is using his ability to pick the opposing teams pocket more.

The man needs to find real consistency in his game. If he can take a cue from Henrik and release the beast within, our defense will benefit greatly from it.

Edler is nowhere near the best defenseman on the team. He can be, but he isn't there right now.

And if his back is still injured, the team shouldn't be playing him.
Posted Image

#65 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,117 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

So please don't just believe me or the other "haters", just pay a bit more attention in the following games.

See, this is the problem with people who have an issue with a certain player. They watch him like a hawk and jump on every mistake they can find in order to feel vindication for their negative opinion of said player.

I went through exactly the same thing with Bieksa, back when he was the resident CDC whipping boy. His detractors would watch his every move and immediately post "I told you so!" in the "Bieksa you are really...." thread. They would ignore enything positive that he may have done in the game and focus on purely the negative.

I realize that you've admitted he was better last night, but you should also realize that I have admitted he's having a poor season to date. Saying things like "pay more attention" doesn't make anyone think you're particularly knowledgable, it likely makes them think you're a condescending jerk. Meanwhile, I have more years invested in this game than virtually anyone on this board.

You've stated in the past that you think Gillis made a huge mistake in signing Edler to his current contract, however, I see that as a case of 20/20 hindsight based on what he's done so far this season.

His body of work up until this season shows that he's worth more than his current 5 million per, based on what players with comparable stats are making. He was top six in defenseman scoring last season, but of all the players in the top 10, only Alex Pietrangelo and Mark Streit have a lower Cap hit. Once their new deals are signed, that will likely change.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#66 Boss of the NHL

Boss of the NHL

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

edler needs to be traded while he still has value. edler for christian ehrhoff and john scott.

#67 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

You mean hamhuis right?
Posted Image

#68 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

See, this is the problem with people who have an issue with a certain player. They watch him like a hawk and jump on every mistake they can find in order to feel vindication for their negative opinion of said player.

Theoretically, you have a point. However, the number of people who notice the same plays appears to have grown substantially.

I realize that you've admitted he was better last night, but you should also realize that I have admitted he's having a poor season to date. Saying things like "pay more attention" doesn't make anyone think you're particularly knowledgable, it likely makes them think you're a condescending jerk. Meanwhile, I have more years invested in this game than virtually anyone on this board.

I cannot recall insulting you or anybody else - so I will let the others be the judge as to who is a jerk. Or who is more full of himself, as I have never claimed that anything (be it experience, age, size of my house or whatever else), gives me any special rights on this board.
My point was simply to watch him more attentively, in case you have not followed Edler specifically.

You've stated in the past that you think Gillis made a huge mistake in signing Edler to his current contract, however, I see that as a case of 20/20 hindsight based on what he's done so far this season.

Let alone that I have a long history of pointing that Edler is mediocre at best, I would have not signed Elder's extension simply based on his performance in last year's playoffs. Would have waited for him to prove he deserved a very good contract - MG jumped the gun.

His body of work up until this season shows that he's worth more than his current 5 million per, based on what players with comparable stats are making. He was top six in defenseman scoring last season, but of all the players in the top 10, only Alex Pietrangelo and Mark Streit have a lower Cap hit. Once their new deals are signed, that will likely change.

I also look at his defensive play, which to me is even more important.

In summary, I am not looking for 6 perfect Ds at $3M each. But while I can live with the other Ds' mistakes, I prefer not to with Edler's (too many and too serious, in my view). Nobody is asking you to agree with me. Do you find it so difficult to keep this discussion as a duel of ideas?

#69 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#70 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

That's a poor excuse for an excuse. 26 is the time when most defenseman are in their prime. You know who is only six months older than Edler? Shea Weber.

You see the problem with Edler isn't his shot. That howitzer is still an effective weapon as proven in the last game against Nashville. Edler's missle from the point was beyond Rinne's ability to stop.

He is still an effective puck mover on the power play and has enough speed to stay in the play with the Sedins, Kesler, and the rest of em.

Edler's issue is his mental gaffes, his refusal to use his size (except for on goaltenders), and his lack of net presence.

In his own zone, he is still real goofy. He looks shaky and like more of a bystander than an invested member of the team willing to get dirty.

He has blocked some shots and is using his ability to pick the opposing teams pocket more.

The man needs to find real consistency in his game. If he can take a cue from Henrik and release the beast within, our defense will benefit greatly from it.

Edler is nowhere near the best defenseman on the team. He can be, but he isn't there right now.

And if his back is still injured, the team shouldn't be playing him.

shea weber? the 21 points defenseman who is getting pay for 14 million in this and each of the next 3 seasons? If he's a cancucks, he would be chew up by fans such as yourself.

this "every player on another team are better than the ones on ours." mentality is getting retarded.

#71 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Edler proving why hes our #1 D-man

By being mediocre?

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#72 naslundfan921

naslundfan921

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

Tanev and Hamhuis have been our best D this year though Garrison and Edler have turned it on a little bit lately...Edler reminds me a little bit of Jovo when he was here (though Jovo was by far the better puck mover), lots of turnovers for both, trying to get in on the offense causing some defensive lapses.

#73 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

shea weber? the 21 points defenseman who is getting pay for 14 million in this and each of the next 3 seasons? If he's a cancucks, he would be chew up by fans such as yourself.

this "every player on another team are better than the ones on ours." mentality is getting retarded.

Where is the logic in your argument? What's a cancuck anyway?

Do me a favor, piggy. Go back to school and brush up on spelling and grammar. Then come back here with something to contribute. OK?

By the way, Shea Weber is a much better defenseman than Edler. If you can't understand that, you have no idea what is required by the position. It's not all about points.
Posted Image

#74 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

We need Edler to be successful in the Playoffs. He has the size to battle the big boys. Hamhuis showed this when he went down after checking Lucic. Edler has had his issues but they are overblown. The less knowledgable fans seem to need a scapegoat every season. When they choose one they overhype every little error. He will be a solid player for us for 8-10 more years hopefully.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2014/15 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth. Go get it and bring it here!

Cupquester "Who are those horrible little men?"

#75 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,430 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

What's with the hate for Aaron Rome? I personally like the guy and I think he would've done well with a regular top 6 pairing.. Sure he has his liabilities but who doesn't? (aside from maybe Lidstrom and Niedermayer)... Rome is a solid 6th d-man for any team and I honestly rather have him than Alberts

Not sure how you take my post as hating on Rome, I feel his suspension from the SCF was a MAJOR factor in losing that series. He stepped up big time in those playoffs and was more than a solid 6th d-man. He made a clean hit that Scott Stevens would have been impressed with and paid the price for it losing out on what was probably a lifelong dream. So no no hate for Rome, obviously I exaggerate his importance of being on the ice in such a critical game but I can almost guarantee the result would have been different if Aaron "the man" Rome was never suspended.
Posted Image

#76 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

Glad to see Eddie finding a bit more balance. Less mistakes for sure.

The haters in this thread revealed they did not watch the game with transparency or even anything close to resembling a critical eye for the game unfolding.

In fact the team D as a whole looked much better than we have seen the last while. When that happens, it flatters the blueliners.

Totally agree. You and others know I am hardly an Edler fan but this game against Deadmonton was his best so far this season. He didn't make stupid mistakes, he threw hits, pinched at the right times, moved the puck smartly and had much better defensive net presence.

And to the others, so what if he didn't hit the net, big deal. I will gladly accept him drilling pkers with his cannon of a shot instead of him being a complete defensive liability while putting up the odd goal or secondary assist. If he keeps playing like he did last night, CDC will be free from my Edler grumbling.
Posted Image

#77 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

With that being said, disagree with OP, Edler is NOT our #1. It's basically shared by three dmen and he is not one of them (Garrison, Hamhuis, and sometimes Bieksa).
Posted Image

#78 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,117 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Theoretically, you have a point.  However, the number of people who notice the same plays appears to have grown substantially.

I cannot recall insulting you or anybody else - so I will let the others be the judge as to who is a jerk.  Or who is more full of himself, as I have never claimed that anything (be it experience, age, size of my house or whatever else), gives me any special rights on this board.
My point was simply to watch him more attentively, in case you have not followed Edler specifically.  

Let alone that I have a long history of pointing that Edler is mediocre at best, I would have not signed Elder's extension simply based on his performance in last year's playoffs. Would have waited for him to prove he deserved a very good contract - MG jumped the gun.

I also look at his defensive play, which to me is even more important.

In summary, I am not looking for 6 perfect Ds at $3M each.  But while I can live with the other Ds' mistakes, I prefer not to with Edler's (too many and too serious, in my view).  Nobody is asking you to agree with me.  Do you find it so difficult to keep this discussion as a duel of ideas?

I can't argue with too much of that, although I stand by my statement that telling someone to "watch more closely" is condescending.

Regarding Edler's defensive shortcomings, I'll just say that he's had his struggles since last year's playoffs, however, he wasn't anywhere near that bad prior to the LA series.

He's never been a shut-down type of defenseman, but he's always had offensive upside and can be a punishing hitter. IMHO, the Canucks need more of that aspect, as they have counted on it for the past few seasons.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#79 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,443 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

I went through exactly the same thing with Bieksa, back when he was the resident CDC whipping boy. His detractors would watch his every move and immediately post "I told you so!" in the "Bieksa you are really...." thread. They would ignore enything positive that he may have done in the game and focus on purely the negative.

This is ironic considering this is EXACTLY what you do to Ballard.

#80 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Where is the logic in your argument? What's a cancuck anyway?

Do me a favor, piggy. Go back to school and brush up on spelling and grammar. Then come back here with something to contribute. OK?

By the way, Shea Weber is a much better defenseman than Edler. If you can't understand that, you have no idea what is required by the position. It's not all about points.

lol let's attack people's typo instead of focusing on the argument.

You are literally comparing a defenseman who is making 14 million dollars a year to a 5 million defenseman. Then you tell people that the reason Edler isn't a good dman is because Weber is playing better at the similar age?

You are using a 14 millions dollars defenseman who has 21 points and is a mere +3 this season as the reason why Edler is bad?

and you are trying to tell me to use logic?

#81 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Imagine if Tanev could shoot like Edler.... or better yet if Edler could play D like Tanev.. I call him Tanedler Vancouver's #1 dman.

#82 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,117 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

This is ironic considering this is EXACTLY what you do to Ballard.

EXACTLY wrong. I like Ballard. Always have.

But, just like I do with Edler or Bieksa, when he has a rough outing or two, I call a spade a spade.

To clariffy: In our last little tete a tete, I responded to a post that said Ballard had been scratched "for no reason". I responded that his plus/minus for the two previous games was twice as bad as Alberts' and that Barker was waiting to get into game action.

By my definition, that's two reasons. I may or may not agree that they're good reasons, but they're reasons nonetheless.

Enter my old buddy Wallstreet, who starts arguing with me and saying that I was being unfair, because other defenders had played poorly as welll. Absolutely true, but not something that I had been addressing in my previous post.

Personally, I'd have left Ballard in the lineup. However, I don't agree that there was "no" reason to sit him out. He'd had his ups and downs like many Canucks.

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 05 April 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#83 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

edler needs to be traded while he still has value. edler for christian ehrhoff and john scott.

Yes, but no. REALLY no.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#84 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,332 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

With that being said, disagree with OP, Edler is NOT our #1. It's basically shared by three dmen and he is not one of them (Garrison, Hamhuis, and sometimes Bieksa).

I dont think he is our #1. Though he has been given roles that define #1 dmen. And fully agree its by committee (though not with the players in order you listed), which is how very good bluelines operate.

But i like the way you appraised that its a shared responsibility. I never have believed in the search for a "number 1" dman that some Hockey fans seem to covet. Organizations look for players with sublime ability and instincts with and without the puck in assembling their d-corps, and are paid accordingly, though in recent decades, grossly overpaid. Which, IMO, Edler is not, J-Bow (and a handful) is.

2sa1qgh.jpg

The Canucks Playoff preparation

#85 EddieVedder

EddieVedder

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Like Edler.. but Hamhuis and Bieksa are just as important to our team if not more.
One of the above posters called him slow. Are you kidding me?
Hes clearly playing with a bad back, which has been hampering him for a few months now, so its no surprise hes getting beat this year, whereas in years past he wasnt.
Ill never understand how fans and media still continue to make certain players their whipping boys. A few years back, everyone wanted Bieksa traded... now, I can not imagine this team without him.. he has grown into one of the 3 most important pieces on this team. You have to look at the potential of a player, and realize that a player is only going to play his best when hes in a position to...not one player in this league is going to play to his potential when playing in discomfort.. and unless you are sidney crosby you are going to have your stretches of ups and downs.
Edler is a heck of a dman and is just going to get better.

#86 EddieVedder

EddieVedder

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

We need Edler to be successful in the Playoffs. He has the size to battle the big boys. Hamhuis showed this when he went down after checking Lucic. Edler has had his issues but they are overblown. The less knowledgable fans seem to need a scapegoat every season. When they choose one they overhype every little error. He will be a solid player for us for 8-10 more years hopefully.

I still think that when Hamhuis went down in that game, the series turned. That to me, was the turning point. Dan Hamhuis was a quiet calming force that could do no wrong until that check. The entire team played differently afterwards.

#87 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,443 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

EXACTLY wrong. I like Ballard. Always have.

But, just like I do with Edler or Bieksa, when he has a rough outing or two, I call a spade a spade.

To clariffy: In our last little tete a tete, I responded to a post that said Ballard had been scratched "for no reason". I responded that his plus/minus for the two previous games was twice as bad as Alberts' and that Barker was waiting to get into game action.

By my definition, that's two reasons. I may or may not agree that they're good reasons, but they're reasons nonetheless.

Enter my old buddy Wallstreet, who starts arguing with me and saying that I was being unfair, because other defenders had played poorly as welll. Absolutely true, but not something that I had been addressing in my previous post.

Personally, I'd have left Ballard in the lineup. However, I don't agree that there was "no" reason to sit him out. He'd had his ups and downs like many Canucks.

Edler's play for most of the season has been worse than every dman this team has employed........so he gets a free pass why? because he provides offense sometimes?

Seriously give any other dman on this team other than Alberts or Tanev his role and ice time and they would likely produce a decent amount of offense without the massive defensive blunders almost every game.

#88 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,117 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Edler's play for most of the season has been worse than every dman this team has employed........so he gets a free pass why? because he provides offense sometimes?

Seriously give any other dman on this team other than Alberts or Tanev his role and ice time and they would likely produce a decent amount of offense without the massive defensive blunders almost every game.

Once again, you're arguing something that I haven't commented on, but to answer your question, Edler has proven himself to the coaching staff (and to the league) in the past. Top six in scoring for NHL defensemen doesn't just happen, there has to be something there. That's why Edler (and the rest of the top 4) gets cut so much slack.

#89 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hes clearly playing with a bad back, which has been hampering him for a few months now
Edler is a heck of a dman and is just going to get better.

Let's say he does have a bad back. He doesn't play well and he risks a more serious injury - so why not give him time to recover? This would be against the core values of this club, especially during the regular season.

Surely hope it's not something permanent, i.e. "80% is the best his back can ever be" after the issues he's had. But then how do you explain $5M/yr. until 2019? It just doesn't make sense to me.

#90 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Edler's playing much better now than he was a month ago, as is the entire defence, they've really come around after some early struggles.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.