184 replies to this topic

#151 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:54 PM

We need him to play more consistently if we want to go far in the playoffs. Could his back still be bugging him? I really hope it's not that. If it's not his back, someone needs to snap some sense into him.

#152 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:57 PM

Edler needs to be more physical, little bit more of a better shot and offensive skill, and steady. Seems if you forecheck hard on ALL of our d they choke and pass back and fourth then ice it.

Kevin Fiala will be a star.

#153 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,648 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

My assumption is Edler's back was not fully healed until the past two weeks. Example is in the past two games I'm seeing Edler actually start playing physical. He also doesn't look as slow and hesitant like he was earlier in the season. So maybe he's got his strength back.

I will be glad when this drop pass thing just get removed from the playbook.

This maybe the case, at least partially. Recovering from injury in the NHL sometimes sets a player back a long way. In this case, it looks like a half a season, at least.

However, there also seems to be a problem with the mental aspect of Eddie's game, as well as a lack of consistency. Case in point: After a much improved game against the Oil, he (and Bieksa) had a terrible night against Calgary. They got somewhat better as the game went on, but it was thanks to Schneider that they both weren't minus three in the 1st period.

Disagree on the drop pass though. I think people remember the gaffe against Kopitar last year and assume it's a bad play. It's not. I watched Detroit - St. Louis yesterday and the Wings used it on every PP they had.

edler and Luongo to whomever has the 1st pick overall
draft seth Jones- he will become the best d man in canucks history. We can match him up against Toews/ Kane, Perry/Getzlaf, and the oily kid line for years to come

I would do it. Jones will be a true #1. Unfortunately, I don't see the lottery winner taking that bait.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#154 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

We need him to play more consistently if we want to go far in the playoffs. Could his back still be bugging him? I really hope it's not that. If it's not his back, someone needs to snap some sense into him.

Unless the medical staff found a miraculous way to heal his back by playing every game, he should first recover. If we were in the Playoffs and if Edler were playing very well, I would understand stretching him - but neither is true.

So either Edler is stuck with a more permanent condition (while hurt, his back will not get any better or worse for the foreseeable future) or there are other reasons for his weak performance.

Edited by Socrates, 08 April 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#155 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

#1 D are like Keith, Weber, Letang, Chara, Lidstrom, Doughty, Sutter, Karlsson, Pronger, Neids, Macinnis

sorry edler is not one of them

incorrect sir. Strongly disagree. So Strongly disagree. The list you just presented are Norris Calibre DMANS, 3 of them being future hall of hamers. with exception of maybe Letang and we know who plays with. Edler on most teams is a top pairing dman. Bar none. He's not a Norris level dman unfortunately, but he is a top pairing. There are 60 top pairing dman in the NHL. He is certainly one.

I don't think we will see the best of him, until hes like 30 or 31. A lot of dmans break out at this time it seems like. Lidstrom, Neidermayer are examples of defencemens that played their best past 30. I do agree, Edler needs to be more consistent defensively, kinda in the lines of how Hamhius is playing. He screws up too, but not as much as Edler.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#156 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

#1 D are like Keith, Weber, Letang, Chara, Lidstrom, Doughty, Sutter, Karlsson, Pronger, Neids, Macinnis

sorry edler is not one of them

Doughty isn't a #1D... since his rookies season it's been a downhill slope
Posted Image

#157 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

Doughty isn't a #1D... since his rookies season it's been a downhill slope

Still rather have Doughty over Edler.
Posted Image

#158 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

If Edler is hurt then he is a liability and shouldn't be on the ice.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#159 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,648 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

If Edler is hurt then he is a liability and shouldn't be on the ice.

It isn't a matter of being hurt. It's a matter of getting the mental and physical aspects of your game back to where they were previously, after recovering from significant injury.

This is the same issue that Kesler, Bieksa, Raymond, Ballard and Garrison all had to work their way through.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#160 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Overall the breaking point on Edler for me is even with all his the defensive gaffes, the surrendering of the puck on the oppositions forecheck, brutal turnovers, the getting caught of position, bad passes causing icing calls, lack of footspeed, too many missed shots, clumsy offensive blueline holds and panicking in front of our net falling all over missing chances at puck in the crease clearing is the fact that he is an absolute pu$$y in every way and has no personality, mental and physical toughness whatsoever.

The guy used to be able to the odd clever pass or big hit every once in a while and even those are nonexistent now.

For me some of Edlers liablities would at least be a little bit easier to take if he showed any kind of heart or emotion, was able to lay out the big hits he used to occasionally, was physical in the crease or ever put any scare into the opponent or be intimidating, defended and cleared the the goalies crease or was able to defend his teammates getting roughed up but he does absolutely none of that which as far as i am concerned is completely unacceptable to have if i was a coach or GM of this team.

To be honest i have never really like Edler in his 7 years as a Canuck because i thought he was more of a liability then all the Edler for Norris fans and that people were blinded due to his good hard shot, Sedin aided point totals and occasional hard hit now and then.

Now to my dismay now unfortunately he doesn't really do anything to help the team and his defensive skills have went from bad to brutal without absolutely no overall toughness whatsoever and now MG has signed him to a big fat long contract.

Sadly it's come to the point for me i would be ecstatic if he doesn't absolutely kill us come playoff time and it would be a miracle if he got his game together at this point.

Edited by The Big Luongo, 08 April 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#161 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

I guess we better draft one in this up coming draft, or flip Cory Schneider for a potential number 1 guy like Myers or Gudbranson.
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#162 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,648 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

It's funny how we now see all of these people who claim to have "never liked" Edler, "wanted him traded last year", "hated the new contract when it was signed" and "always thought he was a liability", etc, etc...

I don't recall seeing very much in the way of that sentiment prior to this year. Maybe some of you clairvoyants could provide us with some samples of your insight from years past...

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 08 April 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#163 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

he might actually need to be coached... or be able to be coached...

#164 Merely

Merely

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Let's see how he does in tonight's game!
Posted Image

#165 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Edler is inconsistent but when he plays good he can be a very good defenseman. He has the skill to bring it up the ice, solid defensively and has a decent shot. But when he is shaky he is scary to watch he tends to make mistakes when he gets pressure and doesn't know what to do. I would see end of the year to judge I have never criticized him but he is starting to stand out.

Kevin Fiala will be a star.

#166 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Man if Edler atleast threw a big hit or two every game then I would be fine with him being not the greatest in his own end, but he has to start doing something to make up for his lackluster defensive play.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#167 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

It's funny how we now see all of these people who claim to have "never liked" Edler, "wanted him traded last year", "hated the new contract when it was signed" and "always thought he was a liability", etc, etc...

I don't recall seeing very much in the way of that sentiment prior to this year. Maybe some of you clairvoyants could provide us with some samples of your insight from years past...

Your wish is my command. FTR, I used to post as Legstrong before the forum overhauled and I could no longer access the account. NOTE THE DATES :

Exactly right ^^^ We need more bodies to actually have the cojones to stand in front of the goalie and we need the coach to realize that Edler needs to sit on the bench during the PP and allow a different offensive dman to take over.

I want Edler to actually clear the front of the net and knock them down of course which he doesn't. I don't know who you are watching but Edler is the softest dman we have in front of our net. He throws huge open ice hits every now and then which is great, but he just doesn't have the presence in his own zone to be considered defensively reliable on a consistent basis.

Watch him closely these next few games and you will see the errors he makes. Lately he has made horrible pinches, bad passes stemming from indecisiveness, and has been giving the puck up along the boards. I'm not saying he isn't capable of being one of our best, he (like some the others of course) need to improve their game. As far as Norris contention goes though, he will need to make vast improvements for consideration. His best chance would be to improve on his shot taking, if he could consistently hit the net and not the opposing forward with his shot, his point total could reach a level that could put him in contention. I just don't know if he has it in him though, guess we will see.

I'm glad you chose to not compare Edler to Lidstrom, because that would be foolish Posted Image

I agree that positioning is important, but Edler's positioning is certainly not his strength (and yes Edler doesn't care what I want him to do as much as I don't care for what he doesn't do). Edler's strengths are his his hitting abilities, shots, and outlet passes, not his defensive coverage. Maybe luck should be added to his list of strengths because that guy is super lucky to not be deep in the minus category so far this season.

I actually like Edler when he plays a smart, consistent game. It's when he allows indeciveness to affect his game that truly brings him down (ie poor pinches, shooting into the pads of opposing forwards, baubling the puck while stick handling because he is unsure what to do with it). What I really don't like is when he gets the opportunities to play with Sedins and on the PP and he makes poor decisions. If he plays consistent hockey during these minutes, this kid could put up a mountain of points, I just think it more likely he will hit 40-50 points. Stats really don't concern me though, it is quality of play that I keep track of.

I have more but I think I have proven my point that the argument surrounding Edler's play has hardly changed, showing that his mistakes are inherent and are not likely to be dissolved by a sudden realization of potential. If you want to see the full convo: http://forum.canucks...en/page__st__30
Posted Image

#168 Mike27

Mike27

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Overall the breaking point on Edler for me is even with all his the defensive gaffes, the surrendering of the puck on the oppositions forecheck, brutal turnovers, the getting caught of position, bad passes causing icing calls, lack of footspeed, too many missed shots, clumsy offensive blueline holds and panicking in front of our net falling all over missing chances at puck in the crease clearing is the fact that he is an absolute pu$$y in every way and has no personality, mental and physical toughness whatsoever.

The guy used to be able to the odd clever pass or big hit every once in a while and even those are nonexistent now.

For me some of Edlers liablities would at least be a little bit easier to take if he showed any kind of heart or emotion, was able to lay out the big hits he used to occasionally, was physical in the crease or ever put any scare into the opponent or be intimidating, defended and cleared the the goalies crease or was able to defend his teammates getting roughed up but he does absolutely none of that which as far as i am concerned is completely unacceptable to have if i was a coach or GM of this team.

To be honest i have never really like Edler in his 7 years as a Canuck because i thought he was more of a liability then all the Edler for Norris fans and that people were blinded due to his good hard shot, Sedin aided point totals and occasional hard hit now and then.

Now to my dismay now unfortunately he doesn't really do anything to help the team and his defensive skills have went from bad to brutal without absolutely no overall toughness whatsoever and now MG has signed him to a big fat long contract.

Sadly it's come to the point for me i would be ecstatic if he doesn't absolutely kill us come playoff time and it would be a miracle if he got his game together at this point.

This is a true statement.

You have never liked Edler.

You think he is a useless pansy.

You think the Canucks should give him away for nothing and promote Kevin Connauton who could easily take his place.

You know more about hockey than Brian Burke, Dave Nonis, Mike Gillis, and Alain Vigneault.

If Aquilini hired you to replace Gillis/Vigneault, the Canucks would win the Cup every year.
Trade Bieksa? Not even if it was a one for one deal for a guy like Ovechkin. And I am being serious. Linden53

#169 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

You think the Canucks should give him away for nothing and promote Kevin Connauton who could easily take his place.
You know more about hockey than Brian Burke, Dave Nonis, Mike Gillis, and Alain Vigneault.
If Aquilini hired you to replace Gillis/Vigneault, the Canucks would win the Cup every year.

That's not at all what The Big Luongo said. Planting evidence, Mike27? :sadno:

On a happy note, I thought Edler was pretty steady tonight, at least for the 45 minutes I watched.
For the record, I have never liked him either - except for his rare flashes of brilliance. But I honestly wish he proves me wrong.

#170 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,648 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

Your wish is my command. FTR, I used to post as Legstrong before the forum overhauled and I could no longer access the account. NOTE THE DATES :

I have more but I think I have proven my point that the argument surrounding Edler's play has hardly changed, showing that his mistakes are inherent and are not likely to be dissolved by a sudden realization of potential. If you want to see the full convo: http://forum.canucks...en/page__st__30

So, out of curiosity, did you call his new contract a mistake whenit was signed?

#171 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76,961 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

If judge a player because of one good game then we can say Rome is or once a #1 D.

307mg00.jpg

#172 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

Based on the last three games it looks like Alexander Edler may be turning his game around. He has been putting out a much more complete game as of late. He is being much more responsible in his own end and it shows on the scoreboard.

If Edler keeps this up, we are in great shape for the playoffs. In fact, the entire defense has been playing to their potential lately.
Posted Image

#173 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

I wish I knew how to search this fourm better. I've been mentioning his lack of foot speed, low hockey IQ, bad decision making, and soft play for years now.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#174 Mike27

Mike27

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

That's not at all what The Big Luongo said. Planting evidence, Mike27? :sadno:

On a happy note, I thought Edler was pretty steady tonight, at least for the 45 minutes I watched.
For the record, I have never liked him either - except for his rare flashes of brilliance. But I honestly wish he proves me wrong.

He has said those things many, many times over the past several years. You are new here.
Trade Bieksa? Not even if it was a one for one deal for a guy like Ovechkin. And I am being serious. Linden53

#175 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,648 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

I wish I knew how to search this fourm better. I've been mentioning his lack of foot speed, low hockey IQ, bad decision making, and soft play for years now.

I'd actually be surprised if there weren't a few detractors for almost any player. Heck, I was around when there were a bunch of people slamming Hank and Danny...

What I'm more interested in, is claims that Eddie's current contract was a mistake when it was signed.

I remember beforehand, suggesting that we might have to trade him, since the consensus seemed to be that he'd command at least 6 million/year and it was doubtful that the Canucks could afford to do that. I was immediately flooded with negative comments, even though I explained that I didn't necessarily want to trade him, I just thought we'd have no choice.

I don't recall getting any support whatsoever, be it from you, ancient Greek philosophers, or anyone else...

Now it seems like half of CDC "knew it was a mistake" at the time...

#176 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

So, out of curiosity, did you call his new contract a mistake whenit was signed?

I didn't like the fact we were signing Edler to an extension but I was happy with the term and cost considering Edler's perceived value. Even with the NTC, such a contract would garner interest from other teams. This means that there is room for optimism if his play continues to turn south. However, if he does turn things around and plays a consistent game from here on out, I will be just as happy as anyone else; I just don't think it is likely. Please note that I didn't say "impossible".
Posted Image

#177 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

He was much better last night, hopefully he can continue to improve towards the playoffs and be 100% by then.

#178 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'd actually be surprised if there weren't a few detractors for almost any player. Heck, I was around when there were a bunch of people slamming Hank and Danny...

What I'm more interested in, is claims that Eddie's current contract was a mistake when it was signed.

I remember beforehand, suggesting that we might have to trade him, since the consensus seemed to be that he'd command at least 6 million/year and it was doubtful that the Canucks could afford to do that. I was immediately flooded with negative comments, even though I explained that I didn't necessarily want to trade him, I just thought we'd have no choice.

I don't recall getting any support whatsoever, be it from you, ancient Greek philosophers, or anyone else...

I have not liked Edler's game for years now. I held my tongue somewhat though as he was CDC's Norris trophy poster boy and I didn't want to come off as a hater. I just honestly don't think you can overlook that poor of defence in any player. It overweighs the good. If you look you'll find me saying that it was a mistake right away.

I think though that more than a reflection of Edler's ability its that we have no flexibility now that our top 4 all have NTC's. In my opinion it makes for a defence that can't get much better when that should always be the goal of a competitive team, especially one that spends to the cap.

Posted Image Posted by Dogbyte on 31 January 2013 - 10:29 AM in Canucks Talk
Edler needs a babysitter / terrific hockey player to cover his weak defensive play.

They've tried Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Ballard, and now Tanev. Funny how it seems no-one can play with Edler. Salo only worked because he's an incredibly intelligent hockey player.

Salo's 90 in hockey IQ makes Edler's 50 a somewhat doable partnership.

Posted Image Posted by Dogbyte on 28 January 2013 - 11:24 AM in Canucks Talk

Posted ImageBedBeats™2.0, on 28 January 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

That was very silly of you.

Im pretty darn sure ive seen them defend the living poo-doo out of this team.
lol, I can't remember the last time Bieksa actually made a stop out there and I've given up on Edler. If our team gameplan and offence wasn't so good Towes would be right and we would be exposed for what we are. A good offensive team with terrible defenders, and great goalies to cover their asses.

Edler and Salo didn't have good chemistry. Salo had to do all the work because Edler is brain dead defensively. At 38 your defensive partner should be doing the hard skating. Garrison is a way better player right now and for the future. People upset by the move need to realize that Ballard or Tanev would have needed to be moved so Sami could move to the third line.

If it was me I would put Edler on the 3rd line where he doesn't have to play a major defensive role.

Posted Image Posted by Dogbyte on 28 September 2012 - 06:08 PM in Canucks Talk

Posted Imageeretz canucks, on 28 September 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

Can't believe MG would let Edler go like he did with Erhoff. That was a massive mistake, especially when keith Ballards 4.2 mill was waving hello.
If we lose Edler and keep Ballard, that would be a huge blow to the team

Either Bieksa or Edler should go anyway, or drop down to the third line. Our top 4 defence should be good at ... wait for it ... defence.

Edited by Dogbyte, 09 April 2013 - 01:35 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#179 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Posted Image Posted by Dogbyte on 29 July 2012 - 10:38 AM in Canucks Talk
The comparison is contract value, not playing style. Eklund is pretty close in this case but that's like saying the water is wet. Not that hard. In regards to the OP I think we hugely overvalue Edler here. I haven't seen Enstrom play nearly as much but if I was acting as GM I'd probably go with Enstrom. Less mistakes and he can put up the same points while being heads and tails better defensively.

Posted Image Posted by Dogbyte on 23 July 2012 - 11:48 AM in Canucks Talk

Posted ImagePaulKariyaALH, on 19 July 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

Trade him for Elias Lindholm, he is very similar to Edler, and has potential to be better than him.
Or throw him in on the Florida deal and get Gudbranson or Kulikov.

Posted Image Posted by Dogbyte on 14 July 2012 - 01:19 PM in Canucks Talk
Great way to lose the riff raff and sign some quality players.

The Burrows contract will be very interesting. Will MG sign him to top dollar and handcuff us salary wise or will Burrows give us a discount yet again.

Edler, I don't know what to say. We're going to play him elite money when he's not elite I fear but whatever, that's the business.

The rest of the guys can be let go so we can actually build a team where players have assigned roles and don't just float around on different lines.

If we finally get a top 6 that's NHL calibre I would have not problem signing Higgins to a one year deal to play on the third line if Jensen, Kassian, or someone else doesn't jump in there.

Posted Image Posted by Dogbyte on 31 May 2012 - 11:56 AM in Canucks Talk

Posted ImageAlexander Edler 23, on 31 May 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

Why does EVERYONE want to trade Edler????Because he is slow (unless he's rushing the puck), lacks hockey sense, he's one year away from his prime and a new contract, and he's one of the only pieces we can move while our defence is sorely lacking.

Yeah, that about sums it up.

I actually want him to stay providing we find a responsible player that can mentor him into what he should be. Without that he nor AV are getting him there on his own.

Posted Image Posted by Dogbyte on 15 May 2012 - 11:10 AM in Canucks Talk
Bieksa absolutely gets too much for a guy that can't play defence.
Ballard gets paid too much for being a third liner.
Edler will be overpaid if he gets $1 more than he does now but he's fine where he is now.
Hamhuis is awesome and brings to the table what you should + more for Bieksa's contract.

Edited by Dogbyte, 09 April 2013 - 01:50 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#180 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

Posted Image Posted by Dogbyte on 07 November 2011 - 01:10 PM in Canucks Talk

Posted ImageThe Edler Scrolls XXIII, on 07 November 2011 - 12:01 PM, said:

So glad I got his jersey. Next Lidstrom for sure.
Ha ha. Posted Image Yeah sure.

Alex Edler - What are we seeing? (read before posting)

Posted Image Posted by Dogbyte on 02 April 2013 - 09:21 AM in Canucks Talk
What you're seeing is reality. Edler has terrible lateral movement. He has no speed in any direction, definitely one of the slowest defenders in the league, and he constantly gets beat on the outside.

In addition to that he has to be one of the least intelligent players around. When you watch him he has no clue. As others mentioned he no hand eye coordination to keep the puck in at the line (his play there is horrendous). He also has no idea when to attempt this and when to let the opposing forward just blow by him for a breakaway or two on one. The way I see him play defence is that he in constant terror when the other team has the puck. His best move is to skate backwards, put his body in the general oppositon path and hope his big body makes them play it somewhere else. If someone challenges him one of one it is up to another Canuck to bail him out. God forbid the team starts to get out of postion a bit, if this happens when Edler is on the ice you can't rely on him to make any decisions on the fly or as part of a cohesive unit. Soon after that odd man situations are created, Edler is out of postion, and the puck is in the back of the net.

He should be traded to the Flyers or Detroit immediately for Couturier or Helm if possible.

Posted Image Posted by Dogbyte on 01 April 2013 - 10:01 PM in Canucks Talk

Posted ImageKeslerownsIginla, on 01 April 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

I was an MG fan but his job needs to be on the line for sure. His deals haven't worked and his contracts are hampering this team. The Edler deal is going to kill this team for a while pending he plays as he has for a year now and his draft record is impeccably poor. I'm not sure how his job can't be on the line to be honest.

Edler is going to kill us. It means everyone has NTC's. Our top 4 is set forever and it isn't getting better for 5-6 years even though we spend the most money in the league there.

Lol, at least my Edler trash talk is more consistent than his game.

Edited by Dogbyte, 09 April 2013 - 02:24 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.