Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

**Jensen, clearly not ready for the Big Show...yet**

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
84 replies to this topic

#61 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,933 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

Duh.

I made this exact comment in the thread about him in General Discussion when he finished in the SEL.
Posted Image

#62 The Sieve

The Sieve

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

I always thought he had blazing speed. Yet to see that from him although hasn't had a lot of opportunities. Maybe NHL defense are generally quicker than AHL, not? Don't rush him to the bigs until he can play consistently.

#63 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,230 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

Dunno how many more games he can play before he uses up a year on his ELC, but he'll probably be down when he hits that limit.

I believe 3 or 4

ELC only get deferred if you're playing in junior or from the league you got drafted from (if a player was initially in the SEL, KHL, etc).

Since he spent time playing in the SEL instead of the OHL, his first year of his ELC has already been spent.

Incorrect for the last two. Players not playing in a North American professional league who are under the age of 20 can have their ELCs slide. Jensen qualified for this while playing in the SEL. For an example, see Peter Andersson's contract for the year he was under 20 and still playing in the SEL. Once he hit the age cutoff, his contract could no longer slide while being overseas.

Normally a year of the contract will only be 'burned' if a player plays in more than 9 NA pro games, but as this is a lockout shortened season, a year of his deal is burned if he plays more than 5 (regular season and playoffs included). With a full season again next year, it goes back to 9 available games before the contract is burned on the 10th game played.

Edited by elvis15, 05 April 2013 - 10:12 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#64 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

Jensen will go back down when Raymond comes back which will be soon. This is just good experience for the kid. There's no need to fear him playing too many games.

#65 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

Jensen looks decent defensively but on offence, he's looked tentative at best. Needs more seasoning in the AHL, and he'll probably lose his spot once Raymond comes back.
Posted Image

#66 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

I thought he looked good. But per usual, AV keeps him on a line with Lappiere, and puts a guy like Hansen on the PP with the Sedins, where he clearly was out a place, rather than an offensive and skilled forward like Jensen. It's repeated so many times, but it's true. AV is ridiculous with these offensive rookies and not putting them in offensively minded situations. A guy like Jensen wont grow as a player playing with Lappiere, or Pinnizotto. Sure Kassian is skilled, but not enough to make a difference for the guy. Frustrating to see.

15yezck.jpg

@Chel24Seven

#67 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Dad is Canadian. might wanna check facts before being a thread nazi

Doesn't matter what his dad is, he was born and grew up in Denmark, plays for the Danish national team, considers himself a Danish citizen, I'd say that makes him Danish.

Danish with some good Canadian blood in his veins!

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 05 April 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#68 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,847 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

I thought he looked good. But per usual, AV keeps him on a line with Lappiere, and puts a guy like Hansen on the PP with the Sedins, where he clearly was out a place, rather than an offensive and skilled forward like Jensen. It's repeated so many times, but it's true. AV is ridiculous with these offensive rookies and not putting them in offensively minded situations. A guy like Jensen wont grow as a player playing with Lappiere, or Pinnizotto. Sure Kassian is skilled, but not enough to make a difference for the guy. Frustrating to see.

Agreed, I would have liked to see Higgins-Roy-Jensen and Kassian-Lapierre-Hansen, maybe tomorrow.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#69 darnucks

darnucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

7 games and then things change. money wise bro

Just ignore them bud, I'm not sure why they think you're a troll for the comments you have made. Truth hurts sometimes I guess.

#70 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

On a side note, he's doing fine defensively even though it's been said that his defensive game is pretty bad. Can't wait to see his offence once he's used to the speed of the game.

#71 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,847 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

Looks better defensively then I expected, I love how hard he back checks, reminds me of Raymond.

He looks a bit nervous whenever he has the puck though, kind of like Kassian in some of his first games with us where he would give the puck away too fast. He seems to have a lot more patience with the puck now though.

Once Jensen has more games under him and confidence he will start to show what he can do.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#72 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Incorrect for the last two. Players not playing in a North American professional league who are under the age of 20 can have their ELCs slide. Jensen qualified for this while playing in the SEL. For an example, see Peter Andersson's contract for the year he was under 20 and still playing in the SEL. Once he hit the age cutoff, his contract could no longer slide while being overseas.

Normally a year of the contract will only be 'burned' if a player plays in more than 9 NA pro games, but as this is a lockout shortened season, a year of his deal is burned if he plays more than 5 (regular season and playoffs included). With a full season again next year, it goes back to 9 available games before the contract is burned on the 10th game played.

Contract only gets burned if more than nine NHL games are played. From the CBA:

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC.

In the 2009-10 season, there was this debate as to whether the Ottawa Senators bring Erik Karlsson up from the AHL because they would burn the first year of his contract.

Posted Image

#73 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

he's 2-3 yrs away from being ready..

#74 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Not ready, but that's okay. Nothing wrong. Come to the bigs, learn what it takes, learn that you don't have it yet, work harder.

Shiznak at his best: 

Considering their cap hit and age, I'd still take Bonino over Kesler. 

#75 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

Nobody is ready for the Big Show

Posted Image
Posted Image

#76 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

Yeah I have to agree. But I think training camp and a full off season of training will do him good. I fully expect Jensen to be a regular next year
Posted Image

#77 CrousettCanuck

CrousettCanuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

When he's got the puck, boy does he have grace and speed. I feel his positioning is off, and his awareness of the puck is a little off also, but he's definitely got talent. This kid is only going up! I say keep him up here as long as we can, playing the AHL guys (for them) is only beneficial, getting them used to the NHL and the way the Canucks play. If we need to, take him down when Kes is back, that's the only logical reason I see, until then I love to see Jensen play.

#78 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Yah its all on AV... I for one am glad that AV does things to win games rather than to try to "develop" young players... His job is to win games not develop... developing is for Junior teams/Minor League teams/off season training etc etc... not AVs job!
Posted Image

#79 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,862 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

He's looked nervous, but there have been positives. He's looked solid defensively and has some good speed, which was all I was really expecting.

It'll be interesting to reassess him come training camp.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#80 RonMexico

RonMexico

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

CDC is full of talent evaluators. We have no idea what they asked him to do. The team has a plan for him which I am sure they explicitly informed him of before the games he has played. As far as we know, he is doing exactly what the team has asked of him. Just because he isn't scoring at a rapid fire pace, does not mean he is not ready to play in the NHL.

#81 EddieVedder

EddieVedder

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

He looked definitely not ready in his first game, but he sure looked better in his second. You could see his skating was up to NHL standards, and his size is there. He just needs confidence at this point.

Kassian looked awesome btw. Ive said this repeatedly... Hodgson is going to be a great player, and already is.. but this franchise needs a Kassian desperately. He has that fearlessness that so few have.

#82 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,230 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

Contract only gets burned if more than nine NHL games are played. From the CBA:

In the 2009-10 season, there was this debate as to whether the Ottawa Senators bring Erik Karlsson up from the AHL because they would burn the first year of his contract.

I was going to mention NHL in there somewhere, must have gotten sidetracked. This year though, due to the shortened season, they only have 5 games they can play him for before having to send him back to the Wolves or risk burning a year of his deal if he plays a 6th.

Gillis has said he doesn't mind that, getting the player to their second deal earlier and likely at a more affordable rate. It looks like Weise and Raymond might be ready for tomorrow's game, so Jensen may sit in the press box to be on the safe side, or get sent to Chicago even before then.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#83 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

Only been 2 games(i missed his debut though), but from last game there is great potential. Hasn't really done anything that makes me jumpy or on edge (turnovers, bad dekes/plays, etc.)

I think this experience will be great and get him motivated and he will work hard in the summer and hopefully him and Schroeder will come out flying for us next year. Two young forwards with small cap hits is what this team needs. They would provide energy and excitement imo.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#84 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Agree

I don't think he's 2 years away, but definitely needs a training camp to build some chemistry with players. This is probably the 2nd hardest period in the season to try to build chemistry with linemates. As said before he's looked good defensively, which shows we has been learning the system in Chicago quite well. But yeah, offensively haven't seen anything, although how much chemistry can you expect when a join a team in the middle of the stretch drive to the playoffs.

I dont think he needs that.

I just think he needs to relax. He is capable of helping us offensively right now IMO, maybe not pile it on but be better than he has been in that area. Just needs to settle down and play his game. I think onces he scores or gets an assist he will settle in and we will see more.

zackass.png

#85 Dazzle

Dazzle

The Snazzle Wristshot

• Members
  • 10,201 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

If he has duel citizenship then technically it is accurate. Theoretically he can choose to identify with whatever country he wants.

Either way though...no matter what he's a good prospect it seems.

And he has exercised his right to represent Denmark and I feel that you have inadvertently proven my point. For OP to say that he is a "Good Canadian Boy", that is technically not accurate.

For sure that being Canadian does not require you to be born in that country, but the phrase 'good Canadian boy', in his context, typically refers to people who are BORN in Canada. He is Canadian, yes, but his real home is in Denmark - and he is one of their most valuable hockey players, as evidenced by how he was used in the World Juniors Tournament from a few years back - he was far and away their best player and he played most of the shifts.

What does being 'Canadian' have anything to do with with the traits that he is displaying as a hockey player? I think that's a question to ask.

Edited by Dazzle, 05 April 2013 - 05:16 PM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.