The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who says we can't draft late round talent?

Sixteen W's

Ok, so that was clearly worth a new thread versus posting it in another thread about how we can't draft late round talent. If you can't think of more than one player as an example (and there are more), you should probably hold off on posting until you have something a little more substantial, and then you can go post it somewhere where someone is saying our drafting sucks.

Having said that, Honey Badger don't give a ...

PAYYY for Yahhnick when he's due! Pay for an alluring, exotic gorgeous masseusse to rub his aching muscles. Give this man an American house, chinese chef, italian car, french maid...Just keep giving so the badger will never have to give a hoot 'bout'nuthin..Ever again!

KEY part of our core, a gentleman AND a scholar.

Not BAD... then again:

Pavel Datsyuk - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 6 #171 overall 1998 NHL Entry Draft

Henrik Zetterberg - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 7 #210 overall 1999 NHL Entry Draft

Sergei Fedorov - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 4 #74 overall 1989 NHL Entry Draft

Tomas Holmstrom - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 10 #257 overall 1994 NHL Entry Draft

Nicklas Lidstrom - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 3 #53 overall 1989 NHL Entry Draft

We're not quite Detroit.

Hay guiz, we gots teh Honey Badger und hes purty gud but sumbodi sad we cant drft gud so i mad tis thrd to tel em we can.

/sarcasm

It's not like I don't like Hansen, but I'm not sure he's locked down a watertight argument against other people (in other threads) suggesting we haven't drafted very well. He mentions one player, when there have been plenty more (but also plenty of failures as well).

The point I'm making is it'd be great if we could discuss it in one of the threads where people have been talking about our drafting already: /topic/340895-review-has-our-draftingdevelopment-actually-improved-under-gillis/page__hl__%2B%2Bdrafting+%2B%2Breview">Review: HAS our drafting/development Actually Improved U...

If he wants to make a thread just to say Hansen's great, there's one for that too (a few actually):

/topic/342069-jannik-hansens-maturity-into-a-legitimate-scoring-threat/page__hl__%2Bhansen">Jannik Hansen's maturity into a legitimate scoring th...

/topic/341849-has-hansen-become-a-2nd-line-player/page__hl__%2Bhansen">Has Hansen become a 2nd line player?

/topic/341670-make-jannik-hansen-captain/page__hl__%2Bhansen">Make Jannik Hansen Captain

/topic/316475-jannik-hansen/page__hl__%2Bhansen">Jannik Hansen

I'm not saying that Hansen's bad or our drafting hasn't produced good players, just that there are already pretty decent threads discussing what the OP is trying to say. It's not my rules (although there certainly are board rules to that effect) but my opinion that creating multiple threads on the same subject is much less useful than one thread where people can discuss a particular topic.

I don't think many people complain about the Canucks' ability to draft late round talent or develop undrafted players, just look at the roster:

Bieksa (5th round)

Edler (3rd round)

Hansen (9th round)

Burrows (undrafted)

Tanev (undrafted)

The problem in my opinion is that (a) regular season success means late first round draft picks ( B) many second round picks have been traded away © poor drafting decisions. Not many teams get lucky in the late rounds. Detroit is the only team that really consistently finds these gems.

Also everyone says our prospect pool and over all drafting is weak... Erm, WAS WEAK..

Drafted Hodgson (stud) traded him for Kassian (stud)

Drafted Bourdon (rest in peace u stud, forever a canuck)

Drafted Schneider, Edler, Hansen, Kesler (STUDS)

And Jensen, Corrado, Gaunce and co. I have a great feeling about.

Also college out of nowhere signings in Tanev and we all hope Kellan Lain lives up to the hype.

Canucks drafting has greatly improved and continues too..

(I left out Dank and Hank cause that was 14 years ago and i figured it went without sayin, but those 2... STUDS!!')

Pavel Bure late round hall of famer, and our epitomy of the heart of a Canuck Trevor Linden.

Future has been getting brighter

All due respect to Hansen, but the fact he's where he is in scoring on the team says more about the other guys on the roster who haven't produced due to injury, post-lockout blues, or just having bad seasons.

Hansen is getting paid exactly what he deserves.

just to let you know when canucks drafted pavel in 6th round a bunch of teams complainted to the commisionaire because they thought he wasnt draft eligible til the next draft we stole pavel bure and the league gave him to us im sure they paid off th comissionaire at time other teams were pissed

just to let you know when canucks drafted pavel in 6th round a bunch of teams complainted to the commisionaire because they thought he wasnt draft eligible til the next draft we stole pavel bure and the league gave him to us im sure they paid off th comissionaire at time other teams were pissed

Ok, so that was clearly worth a new thread versus posting it in another thread about how we can't draft late round talent. If you can't think of more than one player as an example (and there are more), you should probably hold off on posting until you have something a little more substantial, and then you can go post it somewhere where someone is saying our drafting sucks.

Having said that, Honey Badger don't give a ...

Archived