The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who says we can't draft late round talent?

Sixteen W's

Agreed. Out in the market, Hansen will be getting at least 3 million for his services.. Hell, some teams like the Rangers might even offer 5 mil because Sather is that big of an idiot... But I'm pretty sure Hansen has too many ties to the Canucks and he'll take a hometown discount as with what Burrows, Higgins, and many others have done..

If Hansen chooses to re-sign here in Vancouver, I'd say he'd be asking for 2 mil tops. 2.5 maybe but 2 mil is the max he'll want maybe.. For probably 3 years?

Also everyone says our prospect pool and over all drafting is weak... Erm, WAS WEAK..

Drafted Hodgson (stud) traded him for Kassian (stud)

Drafted Bourdon (rest in peace u stud, forever a canuck)

Drafted Schneider, Edler, Hansen, Kesler (STUDS)

And Jensen, Corrado, Gaunce and co. I have a great feeling about.

Also college out of nowhere signings in Tanev and we all hope Kellan Lain lives up to the hype.

Canucks drafting has greatly improved and continues too..

(I left out Dank and Hank cause that was 14 years ago and i figured it went without sayin, but those 2... STUDS!!')

Pavel Bure late round hall of famer, and our epitomy of the heart of a Canuck Trevor Linden.

Future has been getting brighter

Thanks for your contribution - if you don't like it, you're welcome to follow your own advice and report it. I will explain to you why my post is different though.

I gave the OP a recommendation that he hadn't given enough information to really start a new discussion, and it seemed that he was replying to someone else from another thread. I suggested he go and do some more research while commenting on the topic and then reply in the original spot he saw the comment he wanted to reply to. No problems there since I was talking about Hansen and alluded that there's more than one player that qualified if he really wanted to discuss it.

Then, someone else replied to me about something other than Hansen or the Canucks drafting, so I let him know why I posted what I did and that it's my opinion that it makes much more sense to put posts in existing threads when it makes sense rather than try and start the same discussion all over again. I pointed out a number of threads that would fit the topic at hand, however the OP meant it.

What I don't do is call the OP names or post one line responses that don't have anything to do with the topic (i.e. "cool story bro"). While you might not agree with how I posted it, I'd think you'd agree that the OP had hardly refuted any future claims about poor Canucks drafting by posting his one example, and that my original post does try and explain that.

Not BAD... then again:

Pavel Datsyuk - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 6 #171 overall 1998 NHL Entry Draft

Henrik Zetterberg - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 7 #210 overall 1999 NHL Entry Draft

Sergei Fedorov - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 4 #74 overall 1989 NHL Entry Draft

Tomas Holmstrom - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 10 #257 overall 1994 NHL Entry Draft

Nicklas Lidstrom - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 3 #53 overall 1989 NHL Entry Draft

We're not quite Detroit.

Not BAD... then again:

Pavel Datsyuk - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 6 #171 overall 1998 NHL Entry Draft

Henrik Zetterberg - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 7 #210 overall 1999 NHL Entry Draft

Sergei Fedorov - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 4 #74 overall 1989 NHL Entry Draft

Tomas Holmstrom - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 10 #257 overall 1994 NHL Entry Draft

Nicklas Lidstrom - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 3 #53 overall 1989 NHL Entry Draft

We're not quite Detroit.

Enough about Honey Badger guys, this quarrel between Elvis the mini mod and nuckin_futz the logical miracle is keeping me on the edge of my seat. I can't wait for the retaliation by Mr. Elvis. Just a reminder that no shots below the belt will be tolerated folks.

Gillis has only been the GM of this team for five NHL drafts in which he has had four first round picks:

Cody Hodgson

Jordan Schroeder

Niklas Jensen

Brendan Gaunce

Frankie Corrado

He also drafted Frank Corrado, who is arguably one of the top 4-5 Candian Junior defencemen.

I don't have many complaints about his draft history.

bourdon would be a top 2 d man by now- likely better than edler and perhaps a franchise D man- we may have even won the cup with him and probably would not have made the ballard trade...

coulda woulda shoulda...but losing a potential franchise player and a young person is devastating,

umberger had some good years in the nhl and would have been a great 3C too bad know-it-all burke was too proud to pay him but instead gave him away for martin rucinsky who was down right awful for us.

love the retrospectoscope....

the truths of drafting.

Keep your picks

draft BPA

give your prospects time to develop and a chance to develop.

do not give up on them prematurely.

the canucks like a lot of teams are guilty of not following these ostensible truths.

-trade away 2nd rounders all the time

-do not select BPA- go off the board in rounds 2-3

-traded grabner without really giving him a look in the nhl.

Archived