The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who says we can't draft late round talent?

Sixteen W's

Elvis, you're obviously a very passionate fan and I might even add very knowledgeable. Your posts are usually quite enjoyable to read.

However, your constant "mini modding" is beyond over the line. While we're giving each other recommendations as you put it. How about the next time you feel like reminding someone of the rules you instead pm a mod with your concerns and let them enforce the site rules as that is what they are here for. They will be more than happy to take action if they deem it necessary.

I have seen people call you out for "mini modding" many times and I personally think everyone's experience here (yours included) would be more enjoyable if you put an end to your mini modding as quite frankly it's annoying and makes you look like a heavy.

For sure, with many heart and soul guys on the current team drafted here, of course it's easy to say that there's success in drafting.

However, it's really not just about drafting. MG's been going lengths to sign UFA's (Manny, Sammy, Hamhuis, keeping the Twins, for starters) and trade for effective guys that other teams can't afford to keep anymore for cheap (e.g. Ehrhoff and Lukowich for White and Rahimi? Higgins and Lapierre for scraps? STEAL! I even consider the Booth deal to have the potential to be a steal still)

It's because of this, that even with delayed prospect arrivals the team's still able to stay competent. Sure he may make some drafting and signing mistakes, but this team's still solidly built.

Jannik Hansen, drafted 287th overall in the 9th round by the Canucks has 15 points in his last 18 games. That's tied for the team lead with Henrik and more anyone else, including the other Sedin. He also kills penalties, takes almost none (6PIM), plays on the powerplay, and has 2 game winning goals. He's also missed no games in the last 3 years (minus a 1 game suspension).

His cap hit is 1.35 this year, and 1.1 the following year. The team may have some long contracts and overpaid players, but they've done a heck of a job with this guy.

Hodgson, Schroeder, Schnieder, Sedins, Grabner, Kesler, Raymond, and Edler (depends on if you consider 3rd round early or not I suppose) all disagree with you.... Also you have to take into account where the Canucks finish.. pretty consistently 20th+ selection position, not exactly a slam dunk of NHL superstars left there.

Hay guiz, we gots teh Honey Badger und hes purty gud but sumbodi sad we cant drft gud so i mad tis thrd to tel em we can.

/sarcasm

It's not like I don't like Hansen, but I'm not sure he's locked down a watertight argument against other people (in other threads) suggesting we haven't drafted very well. He mentions one player, when there have been plenty more (but also plenty of failures as well).

The point I'm making is it'd be great if we could discuss it in one of the threads where people have been talking about our drafting already: /topic/340895-review-has-our-draftingdevelopment-actually-improved-under-gillis/page__hl__%2B%2Bdrafting+%2B%2Breview">Review: HAS our drafting/development Actually Improved U...

If he wants to make a thread just to say Hansen's great, there's one for that too (a few actually):

/topic/342069-jannik-hansens-maturity-into-a-legitimate-scoring-threat/page__hl__%2Bhansen">Jannik Hansen's maturity into a legitimate scoring th...

/topic/341849-has-hansen-become-a-2nd-line-player/page__hl__%2Bhansen">Has Hansen become a 2nd line player?

/topic/341670-make-jannik-hansen-captain/page__hl__%2Bhansen">Make Jannik Hansen Captain

/topic/316475-jannik-hansen/page__hl__%2Bhansen">Jannik Hansen

I'm not saying that Hansen's bad or our drafting hasn't produced good players, just that there are already pretty decent threads discussing what the OP is trying to say. It's not my rules (although there certainly are board rules to that effect) but my opinion that creating multiple threads on the same subject is much less useful than one thread where people can discuss a particular topic.

10 years old and all I knew about hockey came from The Hockey News and my Saturday Leafs games on CBC, which was the only channel we got due to lack of cable.

I do my due diligence when I post, and I watch just as much Canucks hockey as Leafs hockey. I will consent that Gillis does do a better job seeing talent in his assets, but his draft history is undeniably weak in comparison to say, the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Archived