Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Who says we can't draft late round talent?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Butcher

Butcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Elvis, you're obviously a very passionate fan and I might even add very knowledgeable. Your posts are usually quite enjoyable to read.

However, your constant "mini modding" is beyond over the line. While we're giving each other recommendations as you put it. How about the next time you feel like reminding someone of the rules you instead pm a mod with your concerns and let them enforce the site rules as that is what they are here for. They will be more than happy to take action if they deem it necessary.

I have seen people call you out for "mini modding" many times and I personally think everyone's experience here (yours included) would be more enjoyable if you put an end to your mini modding as quite frankly it's annoying and makes you look like a heavy.

I agree, the mini modding is annoying as hell. There are actually mods whos job it is to do those things. If you want to do that, apply for the job. Otherwise you just look like youve got an inferiority complex, either that or youre just so natually anal that youd be impossible to live with.

The OP's thread is fine, cut him some slack. Theres just a lot of excited young canuck fans on the board, and theres bound to be holes in the arguments some time. If its too much, im sure the ACTUAL mods can step in and lock when necessary.

#62 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

For sure, with many heart and soul guys on the current team drafted here, of course it's easy to say that there's success in drafting.
However, it's really not just about drafting. MG's been going lengths to sign UFA's (Manny, Sammy, Hamhuis, keeping the Twins, for starters) and trade for effective guys that other teams can't afford to keep anymore for cheap (e.g. Ehrhoff and Lukowich for White and Rahimi? Higgins and Lapierre for scraps? STEAL! I even consider the Booth deal to have the potential to be a steal still)

It's because of this, that even with delayed prospect arrivals the team's still able to stay competent. Sure he may make some drafting and signing mistakes, but this team's still solidly built.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#63 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

Jannik Hansen, drafted 287th overall in the 9th round by the Canucks has 15 points in his last 18 games. That's tied for the team lead with Henrik and more anyone else, including the other Sedin. He also kills penalties, takes almost none (6PIM), plays on the powerplay, and has 2 game winning goals. He's also missed no games in the last 3 years (minus a 1 game suspension).

His cap hit is 1.35 this year, and 1.1 the following year. The team may have some long contracts and overpaid players, but they've done a heck of a job with this guy.

Another guy for late draft consideration would be Burrows, er, oh wait, he's still waiting to be drafted - I guess that's pretty late.

#64 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hansen has arguably been our hardest working player the WHOLE year. I'd give him the Unsung Hero award at the end of the season. Although Tanev might get it.

33y40fk.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#65 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

Man Elvis derails every thread. Can't someone be banned for being this annoying trying to be a mod?

Hahaahahhah

33y40fk.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#66 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Honestly, is this guy a mod or what?

I'm glad you contributed the the thread topic.

I hear what you guys are saying, but my original post was just saying Hansen alone is hardly proof against the argument that our drafting isn't that bad. There certainly have been other threads that have taken the time to detail the good and the bad, much better efforts than this one. It's been a bit since it's been discussed (maybe a month) so if the OP wants to bring it up, I was suggesting he should take a little more time and actually fill out the rest of his argument.

If you guys don't like my suggestion, perhaps you should just ignore it rather than call me a mini-mod. As I mentioned before, I'm at least trying to be helpful rather than just posting a useless one liner. Even if it is a redundant thread (didn't say this was necessarily, just that there were others with more substance but as I noted they were older) I let the OP know in case they weren't aware - again rather than turning it into a Spiderman thread or something equally less helpful.

So after all that, I'm not even sure if this was a draft thread, or an excuse to post something about Hansen. I agree our drafting is ok (not great, but getting better), and I also think Hansen's awesome. There, you happy?

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#67 nucks_rule1

nucks_rule1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

I wana see more Hansen jerseys around Rogers Arena
Posted Image
my thread!

100th post on September 9th 2008
1000th post on june 24th 2010

THANK YOU MIKE GILLIS FOR GREATEST OFF SEASON EVER!

HANK= H(ART ROSS)

#68 OncebeforeIdie

OncebeforeIdie

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

wow lol

none of these players are gillis drafts

so far every player gillis has drafted has been a bust or still not ready at all

were as other teams have there draft picks chipping in CANUCKS DONT

You talk like Gillis is going into the draft by himself and has no scouts or input from anyone else on the management team. To say Gillis drafted this guy or Burke drafted that guy implies that these decisions on draft picks are made entirely by the GM's. When a pick doesn't work out I would be more interested in which of our scouts were so high on the player in the first place than which GM announced his name and took a picture with him on stage.

#69 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

anybody down for Ryan Hartman this year??

#70 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

God I love Hansens play. So happy hes becoming the second liner he could be
Posted Image

#71 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

Hodgson, Schroeder, Schnieder, Sedins, Grabner, Kesler, Raymond, and Edler (depends on if you consider 3rd round early or not I suppose) all disagree with you.... Also you have to take into account where the Canucks finish.. pretty consistently 20th+ selection position, not exactly a slam dunk of NHL superstars left there.

Let's look at this list for Mike Gillis draft picks.

Oh look, one of his two NHL ready early round picks remains with the team.

Gillis inherited Nonis and Burke's team.

Jq9Htab.jpg

#72 Canuck fan in Calgary

Canuck fan in Calgary

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

Hay guiz, we gots teh Honey Badger und hes purty gud but sumbodi sad we cant drft gud so i mad tis thrd to tel em we can.

/sarcasm

It's not like I don't like Hansen, but I'm not sure he's locked down a watertight argument against other people (in other threads) suggesting we haven't drafted very well. He mentions one player, when there have been plenty more (but also plenty of failures as well).

The point I'm making is it'd be great if we could discuss it in one of the threads where people have been talking about our drafting already: Review: HAS our drafting/development Actually Improved U...

If he wants to make a thread just to say Hansen's great, there's one for that too (a few actually):
Jannik Hansen's maturity into a legitimate scoring th...
Has Hansen become a 2nd line player?
Make Jannik Hansen Captain
Jannik Hansen

I'm not saying that Hansen's bad or our drafting hasn't produced good players, just that there are already pretty decent threads discussing what the OP is trying to say. It's not my rules (although there certainly are board rules to that effect) but my opinion that creating multiple threads on the same subject is much less useful than one thread where people can discuss a particular topic.

Hansen is a beut.
respect your edlers

#73 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

You were like 10 when Gillis took over, so your knowledge here is limited.

But the makeup of the team would be a lot different if Nonis and Burke were still here.

For example, two of our top sixers were pegged as bottom sixers by both of them. Gillis liked what he saw in them though, and put all his chips in one basket (Sundin) and went after moneyball players (Sammuelsson). People thought we had only 2 top six forwards when he did this, so you could imagine the reaction. But the effect Sundin had on Kesler and the Sedins was unimaginable. Especially Kesler. Also, Sammuelsson scored 30.

He also started committing to talented depth hockey players we did not see under Nonis and Burke, that went with the speedy/two-way identity he build. We did not see as homologous a roster under Nonis and Burke in terms of identity.

Nonis and Burke made good draft picks, but Gillis developed them in ways neither would have.

Oh, and 3 of our top 5 d-men are Gillis acquisitions.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#74 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

You were like 10 when Gillis took over, so your knowledge here is limited.

10 years old and all I knew about hockey came from The Hockey News and my Saturday Leafs games on CBC, which was the only channel we got due to lack of cable.

I do my due diligence when I post, and I watch just as much Canucks hockey as Leafs hockey. I will consent that Gillis does do a better job seeing talent in his assets, but his draft history is undeniably weak in comparison to say, the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Jq9Htab.jpg

#75 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

10 years old and all I knew about hockey came from The Hockey News and my Saturday Leafs games on CBC, which was the only channel we got due to lack of cable.

I do my due diligence when I post, and I watch just as much Canucks hockey as Leafs hockey. I will consent that Gillis does do a better job seeing talent in his assets, but his draft history is undeniably weak in comparison to say, the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Mmhm. Meant no disrespect with the 10 year old business, I just know that you get a lot of information these days about stuff you did not see first hand from the internet. And there are a lot of idiots on the internet who like to pretend they know what they are talking about (some still think Kassian is in the AHL).

A better example than the Penguins would be the Blackhawks. The only team who has drafted better players than Gillis with similar draft picks.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#76 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,078 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:20 AM

Remember the name Tommernes? 7th round selection by the Canucks.

You'll be seeing him in the next couple years.

He's a beast in NHL 13. ::D

307mg00.jpg

#77 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

Who's team was he supposed to inherit? Should he have tossed away all the players and prospects that the Canucks had because they were drafted by Nonis and Burke and started from scratch? Its a weak weak argument. I guess Burke should get zero credit for winning a cup in Anaheim... I guess every GM who has ever taken over for another GM should never get any credit for any success a team has.

Here's a newsflash bud every GM that has taken over for any other GM inherits the team that was built by the former. Deal with it.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.