56 replies to this topic

#1 Salo'sBomb

Salo'sBomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

According to former Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo, we could see a gay NFL player "sooner than you think." There could be as many as four announcements from players around the league, all on the same day.

Raven's linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo was released by Baltimore this offseason, and on the heels of comments earlier this week where he suggested that he was cut in part because of his outspoken stance on gay rights and equality issues, Ayanbadejo clarified himself to the Baltimore Sun on Friday. During an hour-long interview he made it clear that he harbors no resentment for the Ravens, and respects them for the support they offered him throughout his career both on and off the field. But that's not all.
When the conversation turned to his work with gay rights and the question of when we might see an openly gay player in the NFL, Ayanbadejo had this to say:

"I think it will happen sooner than you think," Ayanbadejo said. "We're in talks with a handful of players who are considering it. There are up to four players being talked to right now and they're trying to be organized so they can come out on the same day together. It would make a major splash and take the pressure off one guy. It would be a monumental day if a handful or a few guys come out."

In other words, everyone prepare themselves for the most insane day of the NFL offseason in human history. A day to make the sports world explode, basically.
And it would be awesome.
The one reason to worry about an NFL player coming out as gay would be the inevitable avalanche of horrible jokes, hateful responses, and insane scrutiny, all directed at one human being. Nobody deserves that, and it would be ugly. But as Ayanbadejo says, "If they could share the backlash, it would be more positive."
In addition to muting the backlash toward any one player, four players coming out in four different cities -- AT THE SAME DAMN TIME -- would get all kinds of love and support, too, spreading the acceptance around the country, making this a more universal sign of progress in the NFL and the sports world, in general.
"It's cool. It's exciting," says Ayanbadejo of the possibility. "We're in talks with a few guys who are considering it. The NFL and organizations are already being proactive and open if a player does it and if something negative happens. We'll see what happens." Yes we will.

http://www.sbnation....ndon-ayanbadejo

Very interesting.

Edited by Salo'sBomb, 05 April 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#2 deebs19

deebs19

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Good for them! Always be proud of who you are my friends!

#3 AriGold

AriGold

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

I think it's great that they will come out and be more comfortable with themselves. That being said it will for sure change the locker room settings, guys will be guys, especially in the NFL.

RedSoxvsYankees.jpg

#4 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,425 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

Fabulous.
Posted Image

#5 c00kies

c00kies

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

I wonder if there will be any big name players that were holding out in fear of losing sponsors. This is a great thing for football and sports.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#6 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

Fabulous.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Of all the leagues to come out in, I have to presume that would be the scariest.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#9 blister soul

blister soul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

I doubt it. With the US court deliberating over same-sex marriage I think this is just a bit of propaganda.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#10 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,230 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'm guessing one will be on Seattle, and will then proceed to get married to his life partner.

#11 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

Okaaaay......

How many of these "Gay (NHL,NFL, ect. ect.) player about to come out..." articles have we seen recently?

They always turn out to be nothing.

Somethings up with this,

I think these articles and "media leaks" are part of a greater agenda, the nature of which we can only guess.

This is propaganda 101, some organization is trying to manipulate public consciousness with all this.

#12 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Too bad this has to be "such a monumental event". If people already accepted gays then it would be no big deal.

#13 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Too bad this has to be "such a monumental event". If people already accepted gays then it would be no big deal.

Blame religion

#14 Dun Caesar

Dun Caesar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

I will keep my thoughts on homosexuality to myself, but I wonder if the teammates would want to get changed and shower in the same room as their gay teammate?
Lex Luger

#15 Dun Caesar

Dun Caesar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Blame religion

How? As a christian,I love and accept all human, regardless of their sexual orientation. As a human being, I am probably think 100% opposite.
Lex Luger

#16 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

I'm guessing one will be on Seattle, and will then proceed to get married to his life partner.

San Fransisco?
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#17 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Okaaaay......

How many of these "Gay (NHL,NFL, ect. ect.) player about to come out..." articles have we seen recently?

Somethings up with this,

I think these articles and "media leaks" are part of a greater agenda, the nature of which we can only guess.

This is propaganda 101, some organization is trying to manipulate public consciousness with all this.

9/11. Kim jung un. Bailout fraud. Enron. WMD's. Casey Anthony... Gay NFLers.

Seems legit.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#18 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

How? As a christian,I love and accept all human, regardless of their sexual orientation. As a human being, I am probably think 100% opposite.

I respect that. However, you are a minority in this. The hate propaganda against gays from religions (especially in the Middle East and USA) is the main reason being gay is really seen as taboo still.

#19 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,230 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

San Fransisco?

california doesn't allow gay marriage, unlike washington state.

though the 49ers probably have one too.

Edited by avelanch, 05 April 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#20 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

I am so old that I can remember when the word "gay" meant happy and getting stoned really, really hurt and left permanent scars.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#21 rampage

rampage

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

the trash talking that this could amount to on the field would probably way over the top.

#22 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

california doesn't allow gay marriage, unlike washington state.

Pending what the US Supreme Court has to say on the issue - arguments have been completed and we are awaiting a decision.
http://www.reuters.c...E92P0QP20130326

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#23 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

I respect that. However, you are a minority in this. The hate propaganda against gays from religions (especially in the Middle East and USA) is the main reason being gay is really seen as taboo still.

I don't think he is actually. Many, many Christians feel exactly the same way. However, everyone knows that negative news travels faster and is more "interesting" than positive.
Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

#24 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

I don't think he is actually. Many, many Christians feel exactly the same way. However, everyone knows that negative news travels faster and is more "interesting" than positive.

Yup, vocal minority and all that.

#25 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,230 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

as a fellow christian who feels the same way, I really don't know if we're the un-vocal majority, it's so hard to tell, i know so many who don't feel that way.

#26 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,418 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Okaaaay......

Somethings up with this,

Posted Image

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#27 Apples

Apples

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,555 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Awesome. Nothing to be ashamed of

Posted Image

#28 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

as a fellow christian who feels the same way, I really don't know if we're the un-vocal majority, it's so hard to tell, i know so many who don't feel that way.

It definitely is difficult, especially because we only know those that we associate with. I attend a church of 3000+, and there is definitely no homosexual bashing being encouraged, promoted, or accepted. Now that doesn't mean that as Christians we agree with everybody's lifestyle, but Christ's message was never about agreeing or disagreeing, but that of acceptance and love.
Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

#29 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

gay marriage should be banned. if these guys come out they should be banned from the league. no straight man is going to want to tackle them. good riddance.

:blink: :picard: :sadno: :sick: :mad:
Posted Image

#30 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Awesome. Nothing to be ashamed of

Not that there's anything wrong with that, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ild8w0rHQU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.