The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Very Skeptical About The Roy Trade!

Pasific Coluseum

Not knowing much about Roy who before going to Dallas was an Eastern player. I don't follow the East let alone Buffalo save for Boston & Pittsburgh. I've always heard the name Derek Roy but attributed his point production to Eastern style of play i.e Less travel, grind & physicality thus easier to score.

He gets traded to Dallas and suffers a scoring drought. Most of his points coming in way from assists.

He becomes expendable due to UFA and so-so average play in Dallas.

The Canucks trade for him at the deadline. Initially I'm content because I was under the impression he was not the only player we were to acquire. Then I do a little more research and find out he's only 5'9 tall. Talk about small...

This guy better put up points in the PLAYOFFS. I don't care if he puts up sick regular seasons numbers. We got this guy for the PLAYOFFS. I have a 6th sense that Roy is going to get manhandled easily come playoffs.

Roy alone is such a WTF move. What we needed is Clowe & (2 goals in 1st game with Rangers), Torres, Chimera, Jagr, Pominville. Not just Mr. Derek 5'9 Roy. Hey while we're why don't we go for Steve Sullivan & Matthew Lombardi eh...

I hope Gillis knows what he's doing. I want him to prove me wrong. I see this Roy rental trade as completely suspect.

If you admittedly don't know about a player, how can you be a skeptic? Maybe what you really mean is your lack of knowledge makes you wary and you automatically assume it's not going to go well.

While I agree we could use another size and skill guy on the wing so we wouldn't have to rely on youth too much, Roy is a proven NHL-er and playmaker and will fill a hole we needed filled.

What we needed and what we could get are not always the same thing. I don't know why some fans think Gillis could get any player he wanted. Some we can't afford. Others don't want to play here or just prefer somewhere else. Some are just overrated in general.

Roy looks to have been an excellent trade, especially with how little we gave up. He's already showing chemistry with Higgins and Hansen and got a well deserved assist in his first game with us. So, keep the faith (or rent some if you must, just make sure it holds up during the playoffs!)

And don't knock players who get most of their points from assists. Don't forget, that's where most of the twins' points come from too and only an idiot would say they don't contribute. Setting up a play is every bit as important as banging it home, and sometimes even more so.

Gillis' offer for Clowe was just as good as the Rangers but Clowe picked the Rangers (NTC). -- Nothing Gillis can do about that.

Pierre LeBrun said on the radio that Gillis offered 2 picks (probably 3rd + 5th) for Torres but the really early 3rd pick (basically late second) from San Jose (FLA's pick) was more appealing for Phoenix. -- Again unless Gillis offered a 2nd, which would be an overpayment IMO, nothing he can really do.

I'm happy with Derek Roy so far and I hope he keeps it up.

Roy alone is such a WTF move. What we needed is Clowe & (2 goals in 1st game with Rangers), Torres, Chimera, Jagr, Pominville. Not just Mr. Derek 5'9 Roy. Hey while we're why don't we go for Steve Sullivan & Matthew Lombardi eh...

I hope Gillis knows what he's doing. I want him to prove me wrong. I see this Roy rental trade as completely suspect.

Archived