The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Very Skeptical About The Roy Trade!

Pasific Coluseum

Everyone is talking about how he wasn't having a good year in Dallas...

22 points in 30 games isn't a good year? That's 3rd on our team behind the Twins...

He was fine in Dallas and he will be fine here. Now we just need to re-sign him.

He may be just what the doctor ordered for the Canucks.

Top 6 scoring forward-- check

Play-making center to play with the plethora of wingers here, and fills the 2nd line center gap with Kes gone-- check

Set-up man for Kes/ 2nd PP QB? Check

For just a 2nd and a D prospect (which we have several good ones) I'd say it's not as bad as other deals, and if he's re-signed then the deal will just look even better.

I think Roy can work out fine. First, it can give the Nucks up to three lines come playoff time. Difficult for an opponent to consistently shut down all three. Secondly, if you play Roy next to Kassian or Kesler, potential manhandlers may think twice about taking liberties on him. Most importantly, and this is what I'm not sure of, does Roy have the will power and determination to get through and win? If he does, then his lack of size will be a non-issue.

It's not about size or strength. Someone like Big Bert, he has all the skill and muscle power to beat anyone, but he didn't, because he didn't have the will to win.

I'll leave alone the point that you didn't actually watch Roy before or know anything about him...

But why go on to make the case that it's easier to score in the East to undercut Roy's value there and then make the case that we should have had Clowe, who you point out had 2 goals in his first game with the Rangers...who play in the easier to score East when before that he had none ?

Roy may not be a savior - but he improves this team without question. You can take issue with no more moves being made, but not by trying to strike at the one move that was.

Archived