The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Challenge for CDC and Canucks Fans in general

BuretoMogilny

Seriously this thread reminds me of people who are all positive about something and then don't want anyone to give anyone the freedom to criticize the same issue. That's great the OP wants to be all positive, but dude either you just came from a therapy session or you just don't want to accept reality and grant people the right to say what they want... it's a public forum. That's the whole idea.... you with know where people talk and discuss stuff...

I'm going to flat out disagree with you. Hockey for me is not just about blind faith in my team. It's about analyzing the games, watching individual players, who's hot, who's not, these are just a few of the things that make hockey enjoyable for me.

I will always cheer for my team and hope that they win, but when they play bad, they play bad.

Our guys are professionals and if they can't handle the pressure of one of the best Canadian markets going then they are in the wrong business, or at least in the wrong region for playing.

There are reasons why some players get criticized more than others, and it's because they don't live up to their potential *cough cough, Lou in big games*. Here's the kicker... do we ever criticize Higgins or Hansen when they have a bad game, no? Why? Because they consistently work hard and we as fans know that a bad game will not continue to happen with them. Other players have a history of pooping the bed so they duly experience more criticism.

It seems as though you are blaming us fans for some players lack of performance? I disagree, and I for one will continue to analyze each and every game, each and every player, each and every coach, shift, shot, penalty, etc. etc.

This is what makes hockey fun for a fan. Having said all of this... Edler better show up for the playoffs!

This team is going to surprise a lot of people this year.

!Go Canucks Go! :towel::towel:

I agree to some degree. However, re the parts I've highlighted: players DO get hot/cold...to expect them to perform 100% and beat everyone all the time would be unreasonable, no? So why don't you extend that to Lu?

Was the team firing on all cylinders at the time? No. Were the refs doing their part to protect him, as they do other goaltenders? No.

To analyze and criticize is fine...but, for some, it's every damn game. And the rest of us only ask to hold those assessments to make an overall assessment (based, partly, on guys HAVING off games/periods and it not necessarily representing a bad PLAYER/team). Some people jump off the bridge at a loss, only to climb back up to it to do it all over again. If it's painful, move on. You have to eventually say I've had enough if it isn't working for you - to continually gripe and whine isn't fair to those of us who do take it in stride, as part of the game.

Many this season have written us off because we have been stumbling at times. Haven't won convincingly. I, for one, have believed that it's a matter of timing and that we have good players in place who may just start to click at the right time. That they're slow out of the gates and the shortenened season may actually benefit them in that. My thinking makes me happy, so why is it wrong?

And Higgy and Hansen DO bring it and work hard. I think Lu has also.

I'm with ya OP! I, personally, always try to stay positive. Sure if they have a bad game, I'll be the first to say so but I don't go nuts trying to change or fix everything. It's a game that I watch for enjoyment...not to get all worked up or stressed out about...my job does enough of that for me.

Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. - Elbert Hubbard

Few people have the wisdom to prefer the criticism that would do them good, to the praise that deceives them. - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. - Norman Vincent Peale

You just never give up, no matter how hard the challenges are, and observe this world with a healthy dose of criticism and don't just follow the herd like somebody else might do. - Renny Harlin

In order to excel, you must be completely dedicated to your chosen sport. You must also be prepared to work hard and be willing to accept constructive criticism. Without one-hundred percent dedication, you won't be able to do this. - Willie Mays

The greatest threat to freedom is the absence of criticism. - Wole Soyinka

Every human being is entitled to courtesy and consideration. Constructive criticism is not only to be expected but sought. - Margaret Chase Smith

I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses. - Johannes Kepler

I like criticism. It makes you strong. - LeBron James

A state that suppresses all freedom of speech, and which by imposing the most terrible punishments, treats each and every attempt at criticism, however morally justified, and every suggestion for improvement as plotting to high treason, is a state that breaks an unwritten law. - Kurt Huber

We can do things the cheap way, the simple way, for the short-term and without regard for the future. Or, we can make the extra effort, do the hard work, absorb the criticism and make decisions that will cause a better future. - Mike Rounds

He only profits from praise who values criticism. - Heinrich Heine

Persecution is the first law of society because it is always easier to suppress criticism than to meet it. - Howard Mumford Jones

The dread of criticism is the death of genius. - William Gilmore Simms

To silence criticism is to silence freedom. - Sidney Hook

No team is sooooooo perfect that they are worthy of blind faith. If your criticism is constructive then that means you are interested and that you have seen room for improvement. Whining about bad reffing and blowing up the roster up after a bad game, only shows that you are a short term thinker. There's gonna be ups and downs along the way just like life.

I agree to some degree. However, re the parts I've highlighted: players DO get hot/cold...to expect them to perform 100% and beat everyone all the time would be unreasonable, no? So why don't you extend that to Lu?

Was the team firing on all cylinders at the time? No. Were the refs doing their part to protect him, as they do other goaltenders? No.

To analyze and criticize is fine...but, for some, it's every damn game. And the rest of us only ask to hold those assessments to make an overall assessment (based, partly, on guys HAVING off games/periods and it not necessarily representing a bad PLAYER/team). Some people jump off the bridge at a loss, only to climb back up to it to do it all over again. If it's painful, move on. You have to eventually say I've had enough if it isn't working for you - to continually gripe and whine isn't fair to those of us who do take it in stride, as part of the game.

Many this season have written us off because we have been stumbling at times. Haven't won convincingly. I, for one, have believed that it's a matter of timing and that we have good players in place who may just start to click at the right time. That they're slow out of the gates and the shortenened season may actually benefit them in that. My thinking makes me happy, so why is it wrong?

And Higgy and Hansen DO bring it and work hard. I think Lu has also.

The who's hot and who's not was just an example of an aspect of the game which is fun to analyze. Even in my NHL 94 Ron Barr tells me who is on fire and who is in a cold streak :P

The part about Lou is IMO, along with many others, not an example of him being on either a hot or cold streak, rather an example of a player that consistently has many important off nights. Maybe it is a hot or cold, if it is than he will go down as the most up and down goalie of all time ha! Now, this is up for debate, and not really for this thread, my point was just that Lou feels the heat more than others because he has under performed consistently.

OP can call all of what he sees on CDC "bitching" but really the only bitching I've been reading lately is his. Just saying...

Objectivity is worth more than rose coloured glasses.

"Worth" is subjective. If you want to commentate on the game, perhaps. If you want to simply enjoy the game (as someone who really missed hockey when it was gone), the value lies in that.

Sure, it's much better when the guys win all the time, but I can also accept that they lose. Sometimes, even look bad. We're dealing with human beings here - it happens. Can't be "on" all the time.

Besides, who's to say for sure? Rose coloured glasses will look pretty brilliant when we win the cup.

"Worth" is subjective. If you want to commentate on the game, perhaps. If you want to simply enjoy the game (as someone who really missed hockey when it was gone), the value lies in that.

Sure, it's much better when the guys win all the time, but I can also accept that they lose. Sometimes, even look bad. We're dealing with human beings here - it happens. Can't be "on" all the time.

Besides, who's to say for sure? Rose coloured glasses will look pretty brilliant when we win the cup.

typical fanboy cdc always criticising and labeling people who complain as bandwagoners etc.

obv we love this team, if we didn't care we wouldn't complian, but if there are faults, then whats so bad

about discussing them, honestly, its the people who are constatly bashing the ones complaining making it seem like

a bigger deal then it is, just get over it for god sakes, no team is 100% perfect, if it's 99% perfect and someone decides to

talk about the 1% everyone goes on a rage and panic mode. believe what you want, everyone has a different opinion, that doesn't mean they dont support the team, just dont force everyone to become a sheep and only post good things

Sorry,bud,but you have yet to enter the real world of performance.

When they suck,they need to get better.

When they do well,they need to get better.

Whipping yourself into a delusion of positivity is hardly realistic.

Delusion of positivity?

We've had one of the best teams going for a couple of years now...what's not to be positive about? If you remember the days of old in Canuckland, that wasn't always the case. Save the negativity for when it's warranted? If you don't feel positive about things, why on Earth would you subject yourself to them on an ongoing basis? And call others out because they've got it wrong? That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.

I'm still confused with your post. Edler playing atrocious for practically the entire year, Garrison missing the net, Lappy taking ridoculous penalties that hurt the team, these are all aspects of the game that we as fans can make go away by being positive? Nor can we change them by whining on a forum. Which is the point for me...the players know when they're playing poorly. The coaches know when we're playing poorly. So for some to act like they don't (realize it) and that it's a revelation and information that only THEY have, in a frantic wail to get the point across, is probably more ridiculous than us cheerleaders. Like they have to get the message across because it'll make the different.

That happens here after every loss it seems...some people pack it in every game but then show up again? Some people have all the answers and, clearly, the pros don't? I'd rather just sit back and enjoy hockey - wins and losses.

I agree that when playoffs start a loud arena can pump up our players and help them work and push harder, but how will the aforementioned parts be remedied by us fans?

If we're in the middle of a big playoff game and Lappy takes a horrible penalty and we lose because of it, are you saying that we should just repress our emotions and say, "don't worry about it Lappy, WE LOVE YOU!" Gotta take off the blinders and see the game for what it is.

When it comes to Lou/Schneid trade talk, this will not go away until one of them are gone, that's called reality. Meez thinks that it will lessen now that the trade deadline is over, but to get so upset about people "bitching" (as you call it) is too bad for you I guess. I think maybe your Canuck positive rose coloured glasses have made you build up a too much repressed emotions from over the years. Let it out man, let it out!

The end of this is just desperate, so doesn't warrant a response.

Archived