The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Vancouver Canucks WILL Retire Pavel Bure's #10 & Poll

Vancouver Canucks 30

[Confirmed] Vancouver Canucks WILL Retire Pavel Bure's 10  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bure has been the most talented hockey player to don a Canuck uniform without doubt. I was bitter when he left and when stories came out about his connections to the Russian mafia it confirmed my worst fears. It doesn't seem to be an issue anymore so it must not have been true.

Many are suggesting Bure is the #1 Canuck. I will rank him before Naslund who's jersey should not have been retired but I still rank Linden #1 and Smyl #2. All three of these players took their teams to the CUP finals but both Smyl and Linden's longevity plus their commitment to the Canucks makes me rank them over Bure. Smyl's contribution can never be minimized as he played on teams with far less talent than Linden and Bure. His mental toughness was second to none.

Reading about how bad the management treated Bure in the early 90s makes me sick.

He loved the fans and the city and probably would have been a Canucks his whole career if it weren't for his mistreatment.

You don't treat one of the most skilled players to ever play the game that unprofessionally

I think Baggins has yet to see this thread. Or maybe he's in denial.

I get his argument for stats and accomplishments, but I don't think the decision can be made entirely on those two things. Otherwise you might as well take Linden, Naslund, and Smyl down from the rafters cause they don't have record stats or accomplishments compared to other NHL greats.

Ultimately, it's about the lasting connection a player has with the fans. And very few Canucks have had the lasting impression that Bure left. I would argue only Linden has inspired more passion from fans in this city towards a player.

Didn't this guy end up not wanting to play for the canucks, and demanded a trade, essentially? Doesn't sound like someone who is a real franchise guy. very good, but I don't know about the jersey retirement if he is demanding a trade out of vancouver at some point.

Didn't this guy end up not wanting to play for the canucks, and demanded a trade, essentially? Doesn't sound like someone who is a real franchise guy. very good, but I don't know about the jersey retirement if he is demanding a trade out of vancouver at some point.

Archived