The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do our goalies rank in the league? Top ten?

vcrguy

If you were drafting a team with the intention of winning the Stanley Cup this year (e.g. age, cap hit in the future, all that other stuff doesn't matter), who would be the top 10 sought after goalies?

My picks, in order, would be:

Brodeur

Rinne

Quick

Lundqvist

Ward

Fleury

Kiprusoff

Luongo

Niemi

Halak

Am I totally out to lunch or is this a reasonably fair assessment?

Apologies to Price and Miller but I don't know that I'd want them more than Niemi (who's won a cup) and Halak (who took Montreal on a wild ride a few years back by himself alone).

If you were drafting a team with the intention of winning the Stanley Cup this year (e.g. age, cap hit in the future, all that other stuff doesn't matter), who would be the top 10 sought after goalies?

My picks, in order, would be:

Brodeur

Rinne

Quick

Lundqvist

Ward

Fleury

Kiprusoff

Luongo

Niemi

Halak

Am I totally out to lunch or is this a reasonably fair assessment?

Apologies to Price and Miller but I don't know that I'd want them more than Niemi (who's won a cup) and Halak (who took Montreal on a wild ride a few years back by himself alone).

It's really tough to make an objective list of the best goalies. People rank them based on varying sample sizes, whether it be this season alone, the last couple seasons or even a bigger sample size like the last decade.

Take Roberto Luongo, for instance. If you take into account the last couple seasons, he's probably a top 15 goalie. If you take account a sample size between the 2005 lockout and now, Luongo is easily a top 5 goalie, along with Kiprusoff, Lundqvist, Brodeur and Miller.

I think we can only surmise definitively that Henrik Lundqvist is the best in the game. He has a Vezina Trophy, 3 additional Vezina nominations and is likely on track for at least another nomination this year. He's also top 3 in wins since the 04/05 lockout even though he can really only claim he's played on a legitimate elite team ONCE during that span (last season). The rest is very subjective.

Schneider>>Rinne

Rinne benefited from Nashville's solid defensive game. While Schneider gets hung out to dry by his all the time.

Not too many goalies are stealing games like Schneider this season. Bobrovsky is probably the only comparable.

Archived