The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do our goalies rank in the league? Top ten?

vcrguy

A great offense and defense can make an average goalie look good. A poor defense can make a great goalie look average. If this was a best goalie over the last 5 or 10 year question my list would look different but based on the last few years who do I think has the best chance to get the job done?

Bobrovsky

Schneider

Lundqvist

Luongo

Niemi

Anderson

Rask

Brodeur

Rinne

LaBarbera

A great offense and defense can make an average goalie look good. A poor defense can make a great goalie look average. If this was a best goalie over the last 5 or 10 year question my list would look different but based on the last few years who do I think has the best chance to get the job done?

Bobrovsky

Schneider

Lundqvist

Luongo

Niemi

Anderson

Rask

Brodeur

Rinne

LaBarbera

I think the OP is simply asking - if you could pick the best goalie in the league over their career, who would it be.

Brodeur without a question. Luongo second. Lundqvist or Kippersoff third.

Guys like Rinne and Quick may look great right now, but they're going to be forgotten in 20 years time. Believe it or not, Luongo will be remembered as a top-10 NHL goalie of ALL TIME. Obviously, though, Brodeur in his prime gives any team the best chance to win a cup.

I know we are all Canucks fans here but Schneider barely has any playoff experience and everyone is choosing him to lead a team to the cup? (Yes, it has happened before but imo it would be safer to choose a goalie who has lots of playoff experience)

<p>Rinne

Lundquist

Schneider

Quick

Smith

It is really hard to rate this because so much of the goalies results are a combination of team defence and offense. If you are playing in the opposition zone most of the time, your goalie is going to look good. If you are shutting down the opposition and blocking most of the shots, your goalie is going to look good. Conversely, if you are playing loosey goosey and run and gun hockey, your goalie is going to stand on his head night after night.

Brodeur has had the luxury of playing on a trapping team that smothered the opposing team so his stats and results look great. He is still a great goalie but how would others compare on the same team is the only way that you can really reach any conclusions.As well as Schneider is playing this year and as confident that he is, he is capable of stealing the show and Vancouver could go on a roll. He can be as good as anyone on that list.

hasek ,roy, broduer ,plante, hall, sawchuk ,dryden, durnan, parent, lundqvist, hexstall ,cheevers ,billy smith ,cecil thompson, esposito, hainsworth , broda, benedict, all these guys have muliptle accolades from mutiple vezina trophys heart trophys stanley cups con smyths records ect.... what does luongo have 1 jennings trophy for being part of the best tandom ...... the fact you even metioned Cory ,thomas and ward means u probably started watching hockey about 10 years ago at the earliest... History dosent care about a handfull of regular season wins that amounted to nothing....by the end of Quicks career he will be seen as a better goalie than luongo.. Thomas has achieved more in his short NHL career than luongo has .......

Thomas achieved more than luongo? Lol. Ok one cup and a career of mediocrity

I guess ward, giggy, Osgood, niemi, quick, and whoever the fk had TWO good years at the very most is higher than Roberto who hhas dominated this league for a decade?

Also dont compare post 90s goalies to the old generation... u can't compare at all. Different game. Different equipment. Slower and weaker players in general

Lunqvist is number one (no real debate), Rinnie (spelling?) is probably fairly secure in the number two slot, after that you have 4-8 goalies that are all more or less "equal". Schneider likely comes towards the bottom-mid of that group somewhere. Then you have another 8-10 guys that are very good, but not great, Luongo probably (co)leads that group. It is really difficult to rank goalies (or any players for that matter). Generally you have a decent idea who the two or three best are, then you have to sort of group goalies in fairly large groups after that. What I find weird is that Brodeur keeps making this list. He is 2, maybe 3, years removed from being a top 10. I would probably put him in the 20ish range. Fleury also has no place on that list, he has never really been a top 10 guy, securely in the top 15 though.

Archived