The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do our goalies rank in the league? Top ten?

vcrguy

If you were drafting a team with the intention of winning the Stanley Cup this year (e.g. age, cap hit in the future, all that other stuff doesn't matter), who would be the top 10 sought after goalies?

My picks, in order, would be:

Brodeur

Rinne

Quick

Lundqvist

Ward

Fleury

Kiprusoff

Luongo

Niemi

Halak

Am I totally out to lunch or is this a reasonably fair assessment?

Apologies to Price and Miller but I don't know that I'd want them more than Niemi (who's won a cup) and Halak (who took Montreal on a wild ride a few years back by himself alone).

If you were drafting a team with the intention of winning the Stanley Cup this year (e.g. age, cap hit in the future, all that other stuff doesn't matter), who would be the top 10 sought after goalies?

My picks, in order, would be:

Brodeur

Rinne

Quick

Lundqvist

Ward

Fleury

Kiprusoff

Luongo

Niemi

Halak

Am I totally out to lunch or is this a reasonably fair assessment?

Apologies to Price and Miller but I don't know that I'd want them more than Niemi (who's won a cup) and Halak (who took Montreal on a wild ride a few years back by himself alone).

In terms of general ability, this is a debate we could have forever.

Right now though, Cory is the best in the league. He has started the last 10 games, and put up these numbers:

Saves: 251

GA: 13

SA: 264

S%: 0.951

TOI: 544:13

GAA: 1.433 (1.212 w/o Edmonton game)

Record: 8-2-0

Shutouts: 3

If he keeps that up, he'll drag us through one more round than we deserve come playoff time.

Schneider>>Rinne

Rinne benefited from Nashville's solid defensive game. While Schneider gets hung out to dry by his all the time.

Not too many goalies are stealing games like Schneider this season. Bobrovsky is probably the only comparable.

A simpler way would be to look up the stats at NHL.com Cory falls somewhere in the top 10 Lu falls short of that. In my opinion number of wins means very little. Save percentage and goals against average are the 2 key stats a goalie wants to see. Of course everyone likes a winner, however winning an 8-7 game would hardly be called a goalies game! It is nice to think Schneider and Lu are the 2 best goalies in the NHL, Its also delusional! Having said all that you can see that C.S. has made some improvements to his game He is seeing the puck better and staying in position better and letting the puck hit him. Kodo's to our D for fishing out the rebounds and clearing them. The team seems to know where the puck is going to end up with him in net

I really don't think Fleury is that great of a goalie on his own. I know he won a Cup in 09 and has played in the Finals twice, but I think Fleury gives the Pens 'adequate' goaltending, and that's about it.

Oh yeah: Marc-Andre is a beast in the shootout, which is kind of useless come playoff time.

The best bet to rank the goaltenders IMO is to figure out which ones see more shots (like 30+ a night) and still manage to win games and/or have great stats. It's not perfect, but logic would dictate that scoring opportunities would increase as shots on goal increase.

Some goalies hide behind defensive systems that limit shots and scoring opportunities, and as such, they get away with more credit than they actually deserve.

Archived