The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do our goalies rank in the league? Top ten?

vcrguy

I know we are all Canucks fans here but Schneider barely has any playoff experience and everyone is choosing him to lead a team to the cup? (Yes, it has happened before but imo it would be safer to choose a goalie who has lots of playoff experience)

I think there's a group of like 15-20 goalies in the NHL that are fairly comparable in skill. Too many factors involved when picking the 'best' accurately... like do you count experience vs. who's playing well right now, how crappy the team they play on is, how many key games they steal, etc etc.

But I'm bored so (based on recent play/seasons):

Lundqvist

Rinne

Quick

Schneider

Smith

Price

Miller

Luongo

Niemi

Ward

The thing is, I think the bottom 5 spots could easily be arbitrarily changed, they're that close depending. All of those goaltenders usually put up respectable numbers and give their teams a chance to win every night. I also think there's some other names that are 'right there' and interchangeable a well.

I know we are all Canucks fans here but Schneider barely has any playoff experience and everyone is choosing him to lead a team to the cup? (Yes, it has happened before but imo it would be safer to choose a goalie who has lots of playoff experience)

Lou only at #2? Show me another goalie on the list that has better career numbers then Lou? Ok brodeur possibly but he's washed up at this point and Lou is in his prime.

Cory at #6? He hasn't even played one season as a #1 goalie and he's in the top 10? The only reason he has better numbers this year... Well and last is that the team plays a much more defensive game with Cory in net and keep all the shots from the outside. With Lou they can gamble a little more because they know they have the best goalie in the game ready to save there butt.

if u want to go by this season to see where goalies rank there is a pretty easy formula. take their GAA rank and S% rank add it together divide by 2 thats your number your looking for use wins as a tie breaker....1.Anderson 2. Lundqvist 3. Rask 4. Bob 5. Crawford 6.Bernier 7. Niemi 8 Schnieder 9 Emery 10 Fasth so thats how goalies rank this year alone. you can take past into consideration ect.. but based on pure stats thats how they lay out as of today. Luongo is somewhere around 20th-27th i didnt sort out the goalies past the first 10 but Luongo is 20th in GAA and 34th in S% wich gives you 27th with wins as a tie breaker who knows. when other sports rank players ie tennis and golf they dont use career stats .. just how they are playing in the present.. and thats how they shape up right now.

If you were drafting a team with the intention of winning the Stanley Cup this year (e.g. age, cap hit in the future, all that other stuff doesn't matter), who would be the top 10 sought after goalies?

My picks, in order, would be:

Brodeur

Rinne

Quick

Lundqvist

Ward

Fleury

Kiprusoff

Luongo

Niemi

Halak

Am I totally out to lunch or is this a reasonably fair assessment?

Apologies to Price and Miller but I don't know that I'd want them more than Niemi (who's won a cup) and Halak (who took Montreal on a wild ride a few years back by himself alone).

Lou only at #2? Show me another goalie on the list that has better career numbers then Lou? Ok brodeur possibly but he's washed up at this point and Lou is in his prime.

Cory at #6? He hasn't even played one season as a #1 goalie and he's in the top 10? The only reason he has better numbers this year... Well and last is that the team plays a much more defensive game with Cory in net and keep all the shots from the outside. With Lou they can gamble a little more because they know they have the best goalie in the game ready to save there butt.

Archived