The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

End of #21?

Canorcas

End of #21?

Is this the last year of Mason Raymond as a Vancouver Canuck?

wFcpiGh.jpg?1

The end may be near for Raymond in Vancouver.

After six years in Vancouver, Mason Raymond may be finishing his last season as a Canuck.

Nothing is set in stone, but it seems evident that Raymond will be a victim of numbers as the organization attempts to manage their contracts. Given that next year's salary cap will decrease to $64.3 million, the team needs to shed money and contracts considering their $62.9 million payroll for 2014.

This year Raymond has, at times, shown flashes of brilliance with his speed and hockey sense. But this year, like many others previously, the 27-year old has struggled with consistency and was quiet when the team needed his offense the most.

To date, Raymond has enjoyed four-game point streaks on two different occasions. Once in February and another in March. But the games in which Raymond utilizes his deadly speed have been far and few between. And with the team having just recently extended forward Chris Higgins to a 4-year contract, it puts Raymond in a pickle.

Given his natural talents and the lack of top-6 forwards for next year's free agency, it could also put him in a good position as an unrestricted free agent.

In past years, Raymond has been a 20-goal and 50-point player with the Canucks. And the fact that he should now be hitting his prime at 27, there could be serious cash thrown at Raymond that Vancouver won't be able to compete with.

With all this in mind, it's certainly possible the Canucks will trade negotiation rights for Raymond during the upcoming prospect draft. If Vancouver is willing to acknowledge that they may lose Raymond in the market, it's always wiser to get a draft pick for those negotiation rights than nothing at all.

As of now, Raymond is currently mired with a 4-game pointless streak and has been hampered by an injury. However, with the addition of Ryan Kesler expected soon, it could be the spark he needs to produce more offensively.

It just should be noted that in the next few weeks, Mason Raymond could very well be playing his last games as a Vancouver Canuck.

Considering we kept Mason Raymond over our former first rounder Michael Grabner....I don't see them letting him go, anyone that doesn't see that Mason Raymond is dedicated to the Canucks & that the Canucks are equally dedicated to him is just blind.

Mason Raymond... what else can I say, you deserve better pal. Your lightning speed ignites me off my seat as a fan like no other canuck. If we dont sign you I wish you the best wherever you may land. The way you rebounded from a devastating back injury was truly inspiring.

Like ryper, mayray you will forever be a canuck.

Mason Raymond... what else can I say, you deserve better pal. Your lightning speed ignites me off my seat as a fan like no other canuck. If we dont sign you I wish you the best wherever you may land. The way you rebounded from a devastating back injury was truly inspiring.

Like ryper, mayray you will forever be a canuck.

My thoughts as well. He's really learned to utilize his speed and I'd hate to lose a piece of that in our lineup. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Raymond, better defensively and can actually hit the net with his shots.

Booth just didnt fit here, if we can buy him out then re-sign him for like half of his salary then keep both, but if not, then Booth has to go.

Also, if Clowe hits free agency i want the Canucks to get him since he's express wanting to play for us ^_^

I like Raymond a lot. He's been one of our best point producers this year and is a +8 on the season. (In fact, Raymond has never finished a regular NHL season with a -, proving his worth defensively.) And let's not forget that last July the team actually filed for arbitration against him when he didn't return to his pre-injury form quickly enough and he agreed to have his salary (and cap hit) drop from $2.6M to $2.27M (the maximum drop allowed). And he didn't pout or complain about it, he just kept working hard. Now that's a team player!

He's better defensively and offensively than Booth and cheaper to boot, and being that Higgins' new contract gives him more than Raymond makes right now, unless Raymond's hoping for a huge pay jump I can't see how the team can't find the money to re-sign him. Hopefully he'll be willing to re-sign for around $3M a year and we'll get that deal inked soon!

The only way he'd stay here is if they can sell him the idea they've sold other players and get him to sign for less than he could get on the open market. If he likes it here and is willing to buy into the notion that they want to keep the core of this group together for the long run and have a chance to win the cup every year, he may be enticed to stay.

pretty sure some team is willing to offer him 1st-2nd line minutes (instead of the 2nd-3rd line minutes currently, doesn't really have the opportunity to move up to first line minutes with the sedins here and he'll get some offensive zone starts which should help the next contract) and some big money which he won't get in van

he's a solid 2 way player but i don't think canucks are willing to pay high on a POTENTIAL 50 pt again player that's 27 but I can see other teams offering him 3mil-4mi

Archived