The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

End of #21?

Canorcas

Well after his 50pt campaign he received $2.55m and was apparently then asked to prove himself, which he did not so his salary was cut down.

Higgins (probably the best comparable on the team) was just offered $2.5m/yr.

Also remember that with the cap coming down a player who was worth $X last summer will be worth considerably less than $X this summer. The players know this, the agents know this, and the GMs hands are tied on this.

I say he is offered the same deal as Higgins, and at that price we can certainly afford him.

After the Canucks clawed back his salary last summer, you have to think that Raymond will try to get the contract he deserves after playing really well so far this season. Our most consistent and dangerous forward after the Sedins, if you ask me. Looking absolutely lights-out with Hansen on his other wing, with a speedy center they are a devastatingly effective forechecking unit. The issue is, can we afford to bring Raymond back with the cap going down. Obviously there are some problems there because we will be right up against it again and Raymond is due a considerable raise.

I think it'd be a major loss if we didn't bring him back. If we were to go with the contract of Luongo, or Booth, or Ballard, over re-signing Raymond, that would be unfortunate. I'd hope Gillis and Gilman would have more sense, and be better with the cap, than that. Even if it necessitates a buyout for someone else, Raymond should be our top UFA priority when it comes to getting an extension done.

I think we have other assests we can move like Ballard and Booth before we just let Raymond go. I think he's learned from the big money he got before that he won't ask for a hug contract. Maybe something similar to Higgins.

Archived