The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Vancouver Canucks will not get past more than 2 rounds.

ember

I disagree completely about the toughness part. We do have a much tougher team, we just aren't goons, we aren't coached that way. I believe we will stick up for ourselves these playoffs. Sedins are the Sedins but they definitely seem to have some thicker skin and are sticking up for themselves more. Then we have guys that will throw down like Kassian, Bieksa, Pinnizotto, Sestito (who is also our first legitimate heavyweight in years). Burrows and Lapierre are playoff performers that will get under your skin.

We took a bit of a hit in offense but the offense that is there seems more spread out, we can roll 4 lines and our D isnt as good at joining the rush and chipping in with offense as before but they are bigger and much better defensively.

The only thing that worries me is i havent seen that confidence or swagger that champion teams develop. If we get hot at the right time, watch out!

We have added a lot more character, i think this team finally has a new identity, i cant wait to see it in full flight.

No. That's not toughness. That's just gooning it up and beating down on your opponents. Toughness is defined in many ways, and one of them is being able to fight through all the challenges thrown at them.

One definition in the dictionary of toughness is this:

able to endure hardship or pain; physically robust

Cleary, the Canucks were able to withstand Boston's goon mentality

I'm so fricken' tired of everyone crying about the "toughness"

Skill > all. That's it buddy. Stop being so pessimistic, go cheer for the Penguins then. Oh wait, they're arguably the "least tough" team in the NHL. Guess they won't be getting past the 2nd round.

Stupid thread.

Losing in the cup finals and getting blown out in pretty much all the games the Nucks lost against Boston? Boston threw the Canucks off their game with their antics and if the Canucks actually stood up for eachother, Boston wouldn't have tried half the crap they did in that series. The toughness i'm talking about here is standing up for your team mates tough, not playing dirty.

You don't think the Bruins were playing injured too? They played as many if not more playoff games than us. Plus, they were missing one of their top scorers and performers Nathan Horton when they were playing us, so injuries are no excuse. If the Nucks were facing Tampa in the finals, they would have schooled them in no more than 6 games.

I do believe Boston was playing injured, but look at who they played compared to us.

1st round: Montreal (smallest team in the league)

2nd round: Philadelphia (they're big, but got swept by Boston)

3rd round: Tampa Bay (somewhat of a small team but at least bigger than Montreal. No impact players that throw big hits every game like the Bruins)

Compared to us..

1st round: Chicago

2nd round: Nashville

3rd round: San Jose

I'm not going to say that Boston had the easier road to the Stanley Cup as they had played two game 7's, but in terms of the teams they faced in size and grit/skill, Boston definitely had an easier time getting to the Finals.

First of all, there's no determination from this team. Alain Vigneault fails to amp this team up come playoff time and the 2011 run came only from the players, not the coaches. This team is a clone of last years teams give or take a few players and you all know how that worked out...

Secondly, this team has NO toughness. Apart from the 4th line that AV doesn't allow to play physical, this team has 0 toughness. At the deadline, AV should of gotten two of Clowe, Torres, or a physical RH Dman. The only players that are actually tough are Kassian and Sestito. Sestito is a plug who won't play more than 8 minutes a game and Kassian is a kid who's just beginning to learn his role as a powerforward. Roy is a good scorer and playmaker, yes, but can he stand up for his team mates? No.

Thirdly, the defence is abysmal. The amount of giveaways and mess ups I see a game from this team's defence is absolutely horrendous. Tanev, Garrison, and Hamhuis are the only defencemen who don't mess up on a regular basis. Edler is garbage, Bieksa makes a lot of boneheaded decisions and Ballard is ALWAYS in the doghouse.

Lastly, teams have figured out the Sedins. Sure the Sedins can go and absolutely dominate a team like the Flames or Oilers, but they can't be themselves in the playoffs against playoff teams; they get absolutely shut down. This has been evidenced the last few years.

These are my reasons why the Canucks will NOT get past the 2nd round unless they "flip a switch" this year.

Yours truly,

Ember.

Archived