The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Vancouver Canucks will not get past more than 2 rounds.

ember

Everyone ignoring the part that is true. The Canucks defense can be very very bad at times. Good two-way players, but I'd rather have a defenseman who can handle his own end first. Edler and Bieksa... nightmare. Garrison good, but lacks consistency. Tanev has been great. Hamhuis has trailed off a bit defensively. Ballard doesn't play and Barker/Alberts can easily get exposed.

Skill > all. That's it buddy. Stop being so pessimistic, go cheer for the Penguins then. Oh wait, they're arguably the "least tough" team in the NHL. Guess they won't be getting past the 2nd round.

Stupid thread.

Everyone ignoring the part that is true. The Canucks defense can be very very bad at times. Good two-way players, but I'd rather have a defenseman who can handle his own end first. Edler and Bieksa... nightmare. Garrison good, but lacks consistency. Tanev has been great. Hamhuis has trailed off a bit defensively, but he's been good. Ballard doesn't play and Barker/Alberts can easily get exposed.

Hawks:

Keith - Norris winner, can play in his own end.

Seabrook - Defense first, but can chip in points

Hjalmarsson - Mobile, shut-down defenseman

Oduya - Mobile, shut-down defenseman

Leddy - Offensive defenseman

Rozsival - Veteran two-way defender (Salo-esque)

Ducks:

Beauchemin - Shutdown defenseman with big shot.

Souray - Offensive defenseman with big shot.

Fowler - Offensive defenseman

Sbisa - Shut-down defenseman who can chip in points.

Allen - Shutdown defenseman

Lydman - Mobile shutdown defenseman

Everyone ignoring the part that is true. The Canucks defense can be very very bad at times. Good two-way players, but I'd rather have a defenseman who can handle his own end first. Edler and Bieksa... nightmare. Garrison good, but lacks consistency. Tanev has been great. Hamhuis has trailed off a bit defensively, but he's been good. Ballard doesn't play and Barker/Alberts can easily get exposed.

Hawks:

Ducks:

he has a point but we will only win with a skill game thats our system. We got tougher by reducing our skill but also added roy to make up for malhotra and hansen raymond are back to 2011 form. We can be dangerous because we have the biggest intangible of all goaltending.

U telling me that after lu played garbage in boston that shnieds wouldnt play game 6 this time? We probably win the cup if schnieds played just because they had a book on how to play us with him there. Schnieds playing in his hometown is money.

Hawks:

Ducks:

I agree about Seabs and Keith; however, Hjalmarsson isn't that great, Rozsival is nowhere near Salo-esq, and Oduya isn't all that great either.

As for Canucks, the only reason Hamhuis is playing poorly this season is because he's spending too much effort chipping in offensively, as the team struggles to find scoring. If it wasn't:

Hamhuis- Shutdown D

Bieksa- Shutdown D with offensive capabilities

Garrison- Shutdown D with offensive capabilities

Edler- Offensive D

Tanev- Shutdown D

Ballard- I don't know what he is, frankly.

Edit: error on Rozsival; better defensively, lightyears away offensively.

In a ideal world, that would be true. Bieksa/Hamhuis 2010/11 was one of the best pairing in the NHL.

After that, you had Edler-Salo... Not bad, if Edler could play in his own end from time to time.

Then Ehrhoff-Rome/Alberts/Ballard... Needed a true shut-down guy with Ehrhoff.

Garrison, Bieksa, Hamhuis and Tanev have a reputation of being able to be shutdown defenders.

I believe if Bieksa picks up his game and returns to 2010/11 form, and Garrison can stabilize Edler like Hamhuis does to Bieksa, then the D-core is looking solid.

Also for Hjalmarsson and Oduya not being that great.. they aren't flashy, but they are a legit shutdown pairing, and have been so valuable to the Hawks this year. You need guys who provide nothing but defense, like Scuderi, Mitchell, Gill, Hjalmmer, Oduya, McQuiad, Ference, etc...

Archived