Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Seriously getting angry with my work.. I think they're breaking the Labor Law?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

I'm going to leave the name of my work anonymous but... I just found out today that we have to "punch out" for our breaks now.

I work in a kitchen, and today for example, I worked from 8am to 430pm. 8 and a half hours. I went on my break at 3 to 3:30. While I was walking to the break table, my General Manager ask's me,

"Did you punch out?"
"No, was I supposed too?"
"Yes for your break you have to punch out."
"Ok.."

I thought if you work 8 hours you get at least a 30minute paid break?

And also, we have a washer and dryer to clean our uniforms at the end of our shift as I'm sure ALL kitchens do. Our owner says we can't wash our uniforms there anymore because we don't have "Insurance" for our Washer / Dryer. So we have to wash our uniforms at home now or suffer the horrible food smell / dirty uniforms. Aren't kitchens supposed to ENFORCE cleanliness? Not take away a washer/dryer we've had for 6+ years?

Also for stat holidays (I.E Christmas) I thought if you DON'T work the day, you still get paid for an average shift. (if you work on average 7 hour shifts, you should get paid for a 7 hour shift that day even if you don't work it) and also get paid double time if you DO work it?

Are any of my arguments valid?

Edited by yawn.3x, 07 April 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#2 AriGold

AriGold

Hairy Old

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

Meal Breaks

An employee must not work more than five hours in a row without a 30-minute unpaid meal break. An employee who is required to work or be available for work during a meal break must be paid for the meal break.
Employers are not required to provide coffee breaks.

http://www.labour.go...esb/esaguide/#3

Uniforms and Special Clothing

If an employer requires an employee to wear a uniform or special clothing, the employer must provide, clean and maintain it at no cost to the employee.
Special clothing is clothing that is easily identified with the employer; for example, clothing with a company logo or unique company colours.
Special clothing includes a requirement to wear the garments that the business is currently selling. A dress code (no jeans, no cut-offs, dark clothing, business casual) is not a uniform.
Employers and employees can agree that the employer will reimburse employees for cleaning and maintaining the special clothing.
Personal safety equipment required by the Workers’ Compensation Board is not considered special clothing unless the equipment also associates the wearer with the image or identity of the employer.

Edited by AriGold, 07 April 2013 - 10:45 PM.

Posted Image

#3 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

Interesting. I'm taking a Human Resources class in school right now. Interesting to see real life situations. Have you taken looks at the BC Labour Code? Depending on your workplace, your company might also be under federal instead of provincial.

Edit: I have a link to the Employment Standards Act (BC) if you feel like lookin' through it. There's a table of contents right at the top.

http://www.bclaws.ca...ide/00_96113_01

Edited by ajhockey, 07 April 2013 - 10:49 PM.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#4 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Interesting. I'm taking a Human Resources class in school right now. Interesting to see real life situations. Have you taken looks at the BC Labour Code? Depending on your workplace, your company might also be under federal instead of provincial.

Edit: I have a link to the Employment Standards Act (BC) if you feel like lookin' through it. There's a table of contents right at the top.

One of our co-workers from a long time ago linked that to our General Manager, and showed some of the things that were considered wrong... The GM said it was a typo, and she was fired the next day.

No Joke.

#5 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

Meal Breaks

An employee must not work more than five hours in a row without a 30-minute unpaid meal break. An employee who is required to work or be available for work during a meal break must be paid for the meal break.
Employers are not required to provide coffee breaks.

http://www.labour.go...esb/esaguide/#3

Uniforms and Special Clothing

If an employer requires an employee to wear a uniform or special clothing, the employer must provide, clean and maintain it at no cost to the employee.
Special clothing is clothing that is easily identified with the employer; for example, clothing with a company logo or unique company colours.
Special clothing includes a requirement to wear the garments that the business is currently selling. A dress code (no jeans, no cut-offs, dark clothing, business casual) is not a uniform.
Employers and employees can agree that the employer will reimburse employees for cleaning and maintaining the special clothing.
Personal safety equipment required by the Workers’ Compensation Board is not considered special clothing unless the equipment also associates the wearer with the image or identity of the employer.

I'm worried if I bring this to somebody like Labor Relations, I'll end up getting fired or something. :(

#6 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

All this being said, I know people who work for London Drugs, and for some reason even though the law states otherwise they leave the employess on the hook for cleaning and maintaining their work clothing.

And I have heard quite disappointing stories relating to people who have gone to the employment standards branch, regarding different issues and ive heard they are not very helpful with matters.

Dispute resolution process will basically call you out as a difficult employee, they will know who you are and you problems with them. and will more then likely make your work atmosphere even worse.

Its probably in your best interest to just leave if its that bad. Im all for calling out bad companies on bad practices but bottom line you will probably get the short end of the stick on this one.

Employment standards act IMO is a rudderless farce, even thought it really shouldn't be..

#7 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

I'm worried if I bring this to somebody like Labor Relations, I'll end up getting fired or something. :(

If that happens, you have rights. If your case is valid, you'll win in court.

14ndb35.jpg

#8 AriGold

AriGold

Hairy Old

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

If this happens you have a major lawsuit on your hands vs this employer. Be sure your work ethic is up to par and that he has no real reasons to fire you, IE Late, slacking etc.

From the website i provided call the labour board tomorrow and just ask them some questions. It can be a anonymous phone call, they don't need to know your information if you don't want to provide it to them.

Posted Image

#9 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

A lot of the stuff on that doesn't get done at my work...

I know I had to work for Good Friday, New year's day, and Canada day and I never got paid the "Average day's worth pay" I only got paid Time and a half.

Also I have worked longer then 12 hours before and didn't do a "Written agreement" that was signed by me or my employer or anything and never got any benefits. And I've worked longer then 5 hours without getting a break and I am required to come back to work (if it gets busy and tons of customers come in and I need to go to the kitchen to help) I don't know if that would be considered being available for work while on meal break.

#10 swedishdomination

swedishdomination

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

Show it to as many co-workers as you can, then all of you go tell Labor Relations? They can't fire everybody... But then I'm just a 13 year old boy :P

Posted Image

Credit to 7thman for the sig

#11 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

pm me the restaurant, I wanna make sure I won't go there

and I hear ya about feeling like there's labour laws being broken at work, mine is the same but its more safety (air quality, equipment matenance, etc) that we have problems with. And with my work we only get 20 min paid lunches, but that's because we work 8 hour shifts instead of 8 1/2. However, if people work 10+ hours (which happen quite often) then 20 min doesn't seem like enough...

also, I've been working there for 2+ years, and we just got our hearing tested (industrial line of work) and forklift cert done for the first time.

and now that I'm on the complain train, shipping out very sensitive parts (such as aircraft related or for large machinery/assemblies) that arnt properly quality-controlled, as they are either inspected/tested by the people who made them (who obviously can fudge the reports as they were the ones who could have made a mistake, or not been qualified to properly look for one) and having an owner who is supportive of hiding errors doesn't help either. (however I have recently kept a notepad where I'm keeping track of likely compromized parts which I'm keeping to myself for now, could be used for blackmail/evidence if something happens)

/rant
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#12 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

If this happens you have a major lawsuit on your hands vs this employer. Be sure your work ethic is up to par and that he has no real reasons to fire you, IE Late, slacking etc.

From the website i provided call the labour board tomorrow and just ask them some questions. It can be a anonymous phone call, they don't need to know your information if you don't want to provide it to them.

If I did go to the lawsuit path, would it be even worth it? If they fired me and I fought it they'd be forced to rehire me correct? But then I would get treated like garbage by them. Any mistake I do would be shown as insubordination or some other random act of "treason" against this company. Besides getting my job back, what other benefits would I get?

I know it sound's horrible, but I really want the owner to get fired / lose ownership. I know theres parents on this board who have daughters/sons who work in a restaurant and when minimum wage went up, they took away the tip pool from the Host(ess) and dishwashers to compensate for minimum wage going up and gave it to the cooks instead. They had been getting tip pool for YEARS.

Then my General Manager tells me our "Tip pool" has increased $1 per hour to compensate minimum wage going up and nobody getting raises. How does tip pool go up $1 per hour? Where was that $1 per hour before? Were they pocketing it?

#13 The Vancouver Connection

The Vancouver Connection

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

dude where the hell do you work? this sounds like slave labour. find another job and get out of there. also, i'd file a complaint, document everything, hell even pull out a hidden camera.
Sig too big, 500 KB limit

#14 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

time and a half is all your employer is requited to pay you for holiday pay. After working eight hours in a day an employee must be paid time-and-a-half for the next four hours worked, and double time for all hours worked in excess of 12 hours in a day. This applies even if the employee works less than 40 hours in a week.

i will be brutally honest we have a family company and do this to many employees, a couple have actually taken us to labor relations and even though we were in the wrong we won. we also made life hell for those employess and even tho we could not technically fire them after the hearing we made their lives hell, to the point they quit on thier own accord.

and by the way you cant sue a company unless its something grotesque like discrimination, otherwise you must go through labor relations and employment standards.

#15 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

pm me the restaurant, I wanna make sure I won't go there

and I hear ya about feeling like there's labour laws being broken at work, mine is the same but its more safety (air quality, equipment matenance, etc) that we have problems with. And with my work we only get 20 min paid lunches, but that's because we work 8 hour shifts instead of 8 1/2. However, if people work 10+ hours (which happen quite often) then 20 min doesn't seem like enough...

also, I've been working there for 2+ years, and we just got our hearing tested (industrial line of work) and forklift cert done for the first time.

and now that I'm on the complain train, shipping out very sensitive parts (such as aircraft related or for large machinery/assemblies) that arnt properly quality-controlled, as they are either inspected/tested by the people who made them (who obviously can fudge the reports as they were the ones who could have made a mistake, or not been qualified to properly look for one) and having an owner who is supportive of hiding errors doesn't help either. (however I have recently kept a notepad where I'm keeping track of likely compromized parts which I'm keeping to myself for now, could be used for blackmail/evidence if something happens)

/rant

Well I don't think my work is anything that bad, but if it helps I'll join your complain train a bit too and say that our GM bought Marijuana from one of my co-workers who's in highschool a few years ago. Neither of them were ever fired.

Our GM was also dressed as a mascot and went around to the little kids who were entering the store and shaking their hands and stuff, being friendly, etc... but while he was doing it, he was completely hammered.

None of this stuff I can prove though obviously. It's just irritating that you devote so much time to a company and they treat you like garbage.

MY OWNER doesn't even know my name and I've worked there for 4 years and seen him probably hundreds of times.. He calls me "Guy" or "You"

#16 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

dude where the hell do you work? this sounds like slave labour. find another job and get out of there. also, i'd file a complaint, document everything, hell even pull out a hidden camera.

Lol funny you say that. On Sunday's me and my good buddy work the day shift and our Kitchen Manager does literally NOTHING, and we're forced to work our ass off to get everything ready for the night crew and we've started calling it Slave Trade Sunday.

And I stay for the people. A lot of my friends work there who I've known for years. It's not like highschool where I see them everyday so seeing them at work is really nice to stay in touch with all of them.

#17 iwtl

iwtl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

Unfortunalty this is yet another thing that has been taken from workers by the BC Liberals. Before 2001 if you had a complaint you could file it with the labor standards branch so there was a clear record of the complaint and it made it difficult for creative terminations based on reporting employers. The code was changed so employees MUST first attempt to resolve the issue directly with the employer that wronged them

http://www.workright...ent.php?doc=100
http://www.labour.go...elp/welcome.htm

So basically if you complain - your creativly written off the schedule with little recourse. The standard is extremly high to prove it was done as retaliation so your left with little choice. It's your word against theres and they get to decide if *cough* your causing other problems before your complaint can even be filed.

Seriously - how many teens or young workers are going to face their boss? If it is a saftey issue remember you only have one back - and no job is worth dying for ... stand up for your rights. If its not a saftey issue ..... sadly it may be better to simply seek new employement and move on. If you quit they can blacklist you for refrences - all the power has been shifted to employers so sadly unless you can involve WCB - unless its a human rights violation - there is little protection now for non union workers in BC
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. -
John Kenneth Galbraith

"This is the first test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible value to him." - William Lyon Phelps

#18 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

If I did go to the lawsuit path, would it be even worth it? If they fired me and I fought it they'd be forced to rehire me correct? But then I would get treated like garbage by them. Any mistake I do would be shown as insubordination or some other random act of "treason" against this company. Besides getting my job back, what other benefits would I get?

You could try to get a big severance amount. There's plenty of situations where the employee doesn't want to be reinstated and therefore they just sue for a big severance lump sum.

14ndb35.jpg

#19 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

Maybe you guys should unionize or something :P

14ndb35.jpg

#20 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

Well I don't think my work is anything that bad, but if it helps I'll join your complain train a bit too and say that our GM bought Marijuana from one of my co-workers who's in highschool a few years ago. Neither of them were ever fired.

Our GM was also dressed as a mascot and went around to the little kids who were entering the store and shaking their hands and stuff, being friendly, etc... but while he was doing it, he was completely hammered.

None of this stuff I can prove though obviously. It's just irritating that you devote so much time to a company and they treat you like garbage.

MY OWNER doesn't even know my name and I've worked there for 4 years and seen him probably hundreds of times.. He calls me "Guy" or "You"

that's the thing though, they get away with both our crap, and we just think "oh, well its not as bad as x" or "oh, well they make up for that by doing y" or "if I say something about z then ill be treated differently in a nagitive way", but its still breaking the labour laws/standards. We should be conditioned to thinking "x is legal/liability issue, ill bring it up to my employer, and they will fix it or else be held completely accountable for it by the applicable labour/worksafe relations people and will be dealt completely with that way"
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#21 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

PM webcoaster he a lawyer......he should know what to do

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#22 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

You have some points that need addressing that's for sure. How ever, I would seriously address though, the quality of your employment(er). Sounds like the guy doesn't seem to care too much about his workers needs or even abiding by the regs. So, I might just start looking for something else. And don't bitch till you have something else lined up. Keep a daily log, even if it was uneventful.
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

#23 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

You need to quit if it is financially possible for you.

A job like that will simply make you and your life miserable...I mean, you spend the majority of your day there right....
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#24 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

PM webcoaster he a lawyer......he should know what to do

I'm expecting wetcoaster to make an appearance within 3 pages of this thread and posting the entire labour laws, as he feels very strongly about them (and I don't blame him either)
Posted Image

#25 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,897 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

Start documenting things/violations. Mark specific dates/times and establish a record.

Honestly, it is pretty tough in these cases and you likely should assess the pros/cons of working there and whether it's worth investing the effort. There are so many things that factor in (are you unionized and under a contract?...I am by NO means an expert, but my ex is and he's told me it can be a tough battle to take down employers).

I'm in a similar situation. I can tell you that I do work 9-5 with no break (I opt for that, as I don't get paid for them). I grab a quick sandwich at my desk while I work.

I am considering leaving my workplace (after 4 years) for not following the Employment Standards Act or WCB regulations (they idle 5T & 7T trucks in the warehouse and the fumes seep into our office as there's only a partition separating us, etc. etc - so many hazards). But I am starting to explore other options as it's likely a better alternative than fighting what could be a lengthy (quite possibly futile) battle. Shouldn't be that we're forced into that, especially after investing time that was wasted and could have been devoted to a decent employer, but it is what it is.

Good luck. :)

Posted Image

#26 iwtl

iwtl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:35 PM

If your over 19 then you must face your boss directly with your concerns and if there bad enough to do it in the first place you should expect constructive termination ( written off the schedule - reduced hours etc ).
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************
http://www.labour.go...hk-employer.htm

Employees who have an employment standards problem are required to try and resolve the problem directly with their employer by using the Employment Standards Self-Help Kit.
When an employee has completed the Self-Help Kit, he/she will send the employer:
  • A standard letter from the Employment Standards Branch;
  • Either a Request for Payment form or a Problem Description form;
  • A factsheet on the Complaint Resolution Process.
The employee may also include additional information or evidence to help the employer understand the problem.
When an employer receives a Request for Payment or Problem Description form:
When an employer receives one of these forms it means an employee or former employee has used the Self-Help Kit and is attempting to correct a problem under the Employment Standards Act.
The employer is expected to:
  • Review the information sent by the employee;
  • Contact the employee to resolve the situation or pay money owing directly to the employee.
An employer can contact the Employment Standards Branch information line or website to obtain more information on the requirements of the Act and how to respond.
If an employer does not respond to the employee within 15 days, the employee may file a complaint with the Employment Standards Branch.
If an employer agrees with the request:
If an employer agrees with what the employee is asking for, the employer should pay the money directly to the employee or otherwise correct the problem.
If a payment is made, and deductions are taken for EI, CPP, income tax, etc., the employer must provide a written explanation of these deductions.
If an employer does not agree with the request:
If an employer does not agree with the employee’s claim, the employer should respond in writing, explaining why.
If an employer believes the employee is owed less than he/she is asking for and the employer wants to pay this amount to the employee, the employer should send a cheque to the employee along with a written explanation.
An employee who accepts a partial payment does not lose the right to file a complaint.
If an employee files a complaint:
If an employee files a complaint with the Employment Standards Branch the employer will be notified and advised what information is required.
The parties may be provided with an opportunity to resolve their dispute with the help of a Branch mediator.
If this is not successful, they may be required to attend a hearing so both sides can present evidence and provide witnesses.
In certain circumstances an investigation will be conducted.
If the matter is not resolved between the parties, a determination will be issued. The employer will be required to pay any outstanding wages along with a mandatory penalty for each contravention of the Act.
Circumstances where the Self-Help Kit is not required
The Self-Help kit is not required in certain circumstances, such as the following:
  • The employee is under the age of 19;
  • The employee alleges a contravention of a leave provision of the Act (pregnancy leave, parental leave, family responsibility leave, compassionate care leave, bereavement leave or jury duty);
  • The employee has language or comprehension difficulties that would make the use of the Kit difficult;
  • The employer may be insolvent;
  • The landlord has locked the employer’s doors;
  • The employee is a farm worker, textile or garment worker or domestic; or
  • The employee has already sent a letter to the employer setting out the problem and requesting a resolution.
Time limits for filing a complaint
If an employee is still employed by an employer, a complaint must be filed within six months of an alleged contravention. If the employee is no longer employed, a complaint must be filed within six months of the last day of work.
If an employee is nearly out of time for filing a complaint before using the Self-Help Kit, he/she should file a complaint. The Branch will not act on the complaint until the employee advises that he/she used the Self-Help Kit and was not successful.
The date the employee filed the complaint is used to determine whether the complaint was filed within the time limit, even if the complaint was filed before the Self-Help Kit was used.

Ministry of Labour
Employment Standards Branch
Province of British Columbia
This factsheet has been prepared for general information purposes. It is not a legal document. Please refer to the Employment Standards Act and Regulation for purposes of interpretation and application of the law. February 2010.
For more information, please <a href="http://www.labour.go...me.htm">contact the Employment Standards Branc

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

If you are under 19 then you can contact the employement standards branch directly. The end result may be the same but atleast you would be able to prove that the punishment if you will was a result of you filing a complaint
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." - John Kenneth Galbraith

John Kenneth Galbraith

"This is the first test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible value to him." - William Lyon Phelps

#27 Wedge-tailed Eagle

Wedge-tailed Eagle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

I'm pretty sure that you have to work a certain amount of hours in a set time to be able to get the average, thats my understanding being a business owner.
Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for awesome sig

#28 iwtl

iwtl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

From the code

Averaging for the purpose of overtime

Averaging Agreements

An employer and an employee can agree to average scheduled work hours over a period of one, two, three, four weeks. Averaging agreements must be in writing, and have a start date and an end date.
Overtime is payable:
  • After eight hours in a day if extra hours have been added to an employee’s schedule, or
  • If the employee works more than an average of 40 hours in a week over the averaging period (e.g., 80 hours over two weeks, 120 hours over three weeks.)
From the code - averaging related to stat and vacation entitlement
  • Have been employed for at least 30 calendar days,
And
  • Have worked on at least 15 of the 30 days before the statutory holiday.*
*Employees who worked under an averaging agreement any time in the 30 days before the statutory holiday do not have to meet the 15-day minimum.
Qualified employees who are given a day off on a statutory holiday must be paid an average day’s pay.
Qualified employees who work on a statutory holiday must be paid:
  • Time-and-a-half for the first 12 hours worked and double-time after 12 hours
The full copy as linked above is http://www.labour.go...esb/esaguide/#3

Edited by iwtl, 07 April 2013 - 11:45 PM.

John Kenneth Galbraith

#29 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

All this being said, I know people who work for London Drugs, and for some reason even though the law states otherwise they leave the employess on the hook for cleaning and maintaining their work clothing.

And I have heard quite disappointing stories relating to people who have gone to the employment standards branch, regarding different issues and ive heard they are not very helpful with matters.

Dispute resolution process will basically call you out as a difficult employee, they will know who you are and you problems with them. and will more then likely make your work atmosphere even worse.

Its probably in your best interest to just leave if its that bad. Im all for calling out bad companies on bad practices but bottom line you will probably get the short end of the stick on this one.

Employment standards act IMO is a rudderless farce, even thought it really shouldn't be..

I agree 100%

Once this problem is brought up 100% of the time it is going to sour / ruin relations with management to the point of not being a place you can continue to work.

It in my experience is best to just leave the situation. I spent several years under a false assumption in regards to overtime hours at a job that I very much liked. When I got wise to what was going on and brought up the situation in a very civil way I was to put it bluntly told by my employer it was not my business and he asked why I was reading the employment standars act ? ( meaning yeah he knew fully well what he was doing as I never mentioned the employment standards act.

Long story short I was owed several thousand dollars, I went through the legal process and was given advice by lawyers and such. In any normal situation you'd think you'd have a chance to recover some hard earned money, however being warned by the employer's legal team to mine that hey'd be suing me for an outrageous claim lol...would bog down the process, cost me more than I would've received and left me with nothing. I just walked away.
Posted Image

#30 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

I agree 100%

Once this problem is brought up 100% of the time it is going to sour / ruin relations with management to the point of not being a place you can continue to work.

It in my experience is best to just leave the situation. I spent several years under a false assumption in regards to overtime hours at a job that I very much liked. When I got wise to what was going on and brought up the situation in a very civil way I was to put it bluntly told by my employer it was not my business and he asked why I was reading the employment standars act ? ( meaning yeah he knew fully well what he was doing as I never mentioned the employment standards act.

Long story short I was owed several thousand dollars, I went through the legal process and was given advice by lawyers and such. In any normal situation you'd think you'd have a chance to recover some hard earned money, however being warned by the employer's legal team to mine that hey'd be suing me for an outrageous claim lol...would bog down the process, cost me more than I would've received and left me with nothing. I just walked away.

Yeah, that's the sad thing. Maybe when I'm about ready to quit and have a new job lined up I'll bring it up to try and save some of my friends that still work there. But right now my owner is such a *bleep* that I know it'll just be more trouble then it's worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.