The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anybody From Nelson?

aGENT

if you're an outdoorsy person, then Nelson is the place for you. Skiing in the winter (whitewater is AWESOME and it's only 10 minutes out of town) and tons of stuff to do around the lake and the mountains in the summer.

it's got two A&Ws but no McDonalds :lol:

Downtown is just one street basically(Baker st.) but there are lots of neat shops around.

(moved to calgary a few years ago)

as for work, maybe Maglio's? there's a home hardware downtown as well

Not really worried about fast food chains :lol: Wife and I both love and prefer to cook and if we go out it's generally for a nicer meal/treat. We don't really do fast food. Once in a blue moon will do Nando's or Subway or something but I haven't eaten at McD's in like 12+ years so that is no loss!

Yeah I'm sure I could find some sort of job. Not sure how well packing groceries or selling flooring etc exactly utilizes my current skill set and as I said the pay would certainly be down. I've got a few years to try to figure something out I suppose! Maybe by then Gum can deputize me!...lol

Yeah it's the major stumbling block at this point. I've been reading up on Nelson and apparently they have roughly 2.5X the average business licences per capita as compared to comparably sized/small towns. So there's a LOT of folks there with their own businesses. Unfortunately mom and pop places don't tend to have a lot of employees so getting hired is an uphill battle. And there's already a few architects, landscape, design etc companies etc that I'd need to compete with if I was to start something on my own using my design/computer skill set.

So my options are hoping my current employer let's me work remotely, working at something like Safeway with a pretty sizeable pay cut, winning the lotto or stumbling on to a honest to goodness job by some miracle. That or staying put here in the GVRD.

Yeah there's 23 "Architects/Building Design" companies listed on the city web page...

http://www.discovernelson.com/gottab/search_category.php?keywords=8&catname=Architect/Building%20Design

Don't think I'll be opening up a competing shop!

Yeah I'd already thought about chatting up some of the companies etc...we'll see what happens. At least I've got a few years to see if I can swing something/figure it out.

Every day that passes, every accident, stall or general idiocy bringing my commute to a numbing crawl, every time I hear sirens or noisy construction....makes me want to move all the more.

Every day I also realize more and more that the logistics of doing so are a touch terrifying.

*sigh*

Archived