The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Interview] Gino Odjick: Being a Vancouver Canuck (CKNW 980 Interview)

This past Thursday, Sportstalk's Dan Russell interviewed Gino Odjick during the Canucks vs Oilers match. Suffice to say, I'm sure not too many people heard it, but I feel it's a terrific interview. As part of Russell's series of interviews in which he asks former players about their life-long hockey journey, he spoke with Gino for about half an hour. I've posted part of the interview's final segment in which Gino discusses his first game with the Canucks, his friendship with Pavel, his personal experience during the 1994 Stanley Cup run, and the special bond the Canucks had throughout those years.

He also discusses his role as an enforcer, as well as the bitter end when Mark Messier and Mike Keenan imposed their vile influence on the team. He had some interesting things to say about that:

Enjoy:

Enjoyed what he said about Pat Quinn and how he changed his players lives.

Messier: Canuck killer.

Keenan: A hole / Messier lap dog.Told Pavel he would trade Gino and then got rid of Gino when Pavel had an argument with him.

Keenan tore apart Linden and Messier sat there and allowed it to happen(as the new Canucks Captain).

Gino told Messier he would punch him out.

How or why Canucks ownership ever put up with the dismantling of the organisation with these two ugly humans at the helm is the 100 million dollar question.

Talk about out to lunch ownership. We are all Canucks franchise killers.

I was at a Canucks game in the Saddledome, must of been in '90 as it was pre-Bure. Never forget it as only two Canucks showed up that night Trevor Linden and Gino Odjick. Both those players brought strengths to the roster that made them special.

Odjick's comment about how Linden played injured on a regular basis is another thing about the greats that fans tend to forget about. Fans should reflect on the courage that it took for Rick Rypien to play his game where he challenged players who weighed 25 to 40 pounds more than he. Listen to Odjick's talk about his rounds with Brown to get a feel of what that meant.

I was at Gino's first game and it was a mindblower!. There were some tough customers on that Blackhawks team. Dave Manson and The Grim Reaper as well as Bob Probert.Everybody in the PNE could not believe how tough Gino was that night.

Please don't remind me of the Messier era.

Brian Burke could have done a better job too. He kept his tough man stance on the Bure situation. To be honest if the Canucks hired Mike Gillis in 1998 instead of Brian Burke, there is a small chance Bure might have remained A Canuck. on top of that, we might have a Stanley cup already.

I can't believe Brian Burke didn't take the Brian Holzinger and a 1st round pick for Messier trade offer back in 1999.

please dont bring back the Keenan days. Odjick said it best when he was traded for Jason Strudwick

"I got traded for a no name"

Quite the trip down memory lane listening to Gino talk about the nineties and how things went down when Quinn's protective wing was removed from the players who obviously revered him not only as a hockey personality but also as a mentor in life. Still hurts hearing about Keenan berating Canucks legends like Bure and Linden. Ugh.

Thanks so much for posting WW. Was mentioned that Gino was in top 30 favourite Canucks, but IMO is probably top 10. The Iron Mike era is without a doubt, the darkest time of the Canucks history ( the mid-eighties teams were a ray of sunshine compared to Keenan and Messier)

I'm going to take time to listen to this at work tomorrow....Gino was a favourite of mine. My Mom actually helped teach him to play poker...he was such a nice (polite) guy. A contrast to the brute on the ice who could take faces off.

The Pat Quinn era was special (had the great honour of meeting him back then too). It felt like a real "family" atmosphere...the carnivals they had were cool. Dunk Gino in the dunk tank.

Good memories...I refuse to let Messier and Keenan taint mine. They were just a blip on the radar...

Thanks for posting, WW...really looking forward to this.

Archived