Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Do Ryan Kesler, Derek Roy make the Canucks serious contenders?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#61 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

If the Canucks' scored more goals, nobody would be saying anything about us being underdogs to win the cup. The fact is, the team just hasn't been clicking this season due largely to injuries. Keep all the same players, score an extra 20 goals, improve the pp and all of a sudden everyone starts saying we're contenders again.

It isn't the players we have. They're solid. They just need to get together and gel. That's really hard to do when you are shifting people around and out of their natural playing positions because nobody ever gets comfortable and in a groove.

Should all our players be healthy (Booth being the likely exception) come playoff time, and they all find chemistry, I do think this team has a real chance of winning the cup. Unfortunately, we've only seen glimpses of that so far this season.

We're also not winning a cup with a powerplay as ridiculous as the one we have now. Our entire team can be firing during 5-on-5 play but if our special teams can't rise to the occasion that in itself is enough to kill us.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#62 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

If the Canucks' scored more goals, nobody would be saying anything about us being underdogs to win the cup. The fact is, the team just hasn't been clicking this season due largely to injuries. Keep all the same players, score an extra 20 goals, improve the pp and all of a sudden everyone starts saying we're contenders again.

It isn't the players we have. They're solid. They just need to get together and gel. That's really hard to do when you are shifting people around and out of their natural playing positions because nobody ever gets comfortable and in a groove.

Should all our players be healthy (Booth being the likely exception) come playoff time, and they all find chemistry, I do think this team has a real chance of winning the cup. Unfortunately, we've only seen glimpses of that so far this season.

We're also not winning a cup with a powerplay as ridiculous as the one we have now. Our entire team can be firing during 5-on-5 play but if our special teams can't rise to the occasion that in itself is enough to kill us.

Boston won with a ridiculously low PP%. 5-on-5 play is more essential than PP.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#63 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

Have to have more game that doesn't completely rely on Cory stealing the game before we can plan parade routes. If this team competes like we saw against Edmonton last game then yes, we have a shot. If it plays like we last did against Calgary then we'll be lucky to get out of the second round.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#64 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

I wholeheartedly think we are a force to be reckoned with, now that Roy is here and Kesler is back. That team plus two elite goalies? Not even horrible officiating can stop that.

Corrupt officiating can stop anything.

#65 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

I don't see why Ebbett is in the lineup over Schroeder.

#66 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Suspicious officiating was usurped by the longest suspension in NHL playoff history,followed by Boston breaking Raymond's back and the dissection of Bieksa's knee,not to be outdone by the breaking of Edler's fingers.
I am sure there are many incidents that went without punishment,such as Sedin getting speed bagged.

#67 RDA96

RDA96

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

In the past there was a "formula" to beat the canucks if you stopped the Sedins from scoring we had no chance now we have 3 good lines that can score we don't have the star power of pittsburgh or Chicago but shutting down the twins will not stop us from scoring which in turn will open things up for the sedins because other teams will also have to focus on shutting down Roy and Kesslers lines. Any team can win the cup at thos time if we stay healthy and other teams don't or we get hot at the right time while other teams start to struggle we could win the cup

#68 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

I don't see why Ebbett is in the lineup over Schroeder.

If you got to ask you will never know.

#69 taskicon

taskicon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

We will see if we are contenders when we face Chicago in 2 weeks. I for one think we have as much, if not more, of a chance as the 2011 team to take it all. Raymond, Higgins, and Hansen have all been playing well despite not having a good center on their lines, now we have 2 really good centers. Now our wingers, with their speed, shouldn't have any trouble finding the back of the net more.

Edited by taskicon, 10 April 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#70 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

As always, if Kes is going the rest will follow. The key series should be Van chi again if everyone is healthy. In the finals if it gets that far, whichever team is healthiest will win. Everyone is putting up Pitts as that team to win it all, but with the lineup they have I see all their eastern opponents playing a very physical game against them, which could mean they are more injured past the 2nd rd. Unfortunately a healthy Pits lineup eats us for breakfast without a legit shutdown d-pair which we don't have this season, so speculating whether Kes and Roy make us contenders or not is a moot point.

Pits forwards>>Van, if both teams meet healthy we would have to pray.

Between Van Chi Anaheim, (I see this as the power struggle in the west) its a toss up. I dont think Anaheim is deep enough.

If Pits gets eliminated, I actually could see Van as front runners if they straighten out some things.

I wouldn't put too much weight into the reg season stats and the PP as Kesler being out changes the whole dynamic. Sedins by themselves aren't the best on the pp and it drops off after that. Should vastly improve with Kes and Roy. Also we never seem to get the calls in the playoffs anyways meaning pp will mean even less.

Edited by adniel_g, 10 April 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#71 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

definitely looking better. Good game against PHX although we have to bury the chances we get. Smith played great obviously but getting 40+ shots we should be able to at least help the goaltender a bit.

Definitely looking forward to what could the first year of having a healthy Kesler for the playoffs. He always seems to enter the post-season injured. If AV can manage his ice time nicely like he did for the PHX game (about 15 mins), that would be an ideal way to ease him back into play :)

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#72 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Historically, PP opportunities vastly disappear during the playoffs. Therefore, the Canucks have a better chance than in 2011 because they don't rely so much on other teams' mistakes.

Play your own game.

#73 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

definitely looking better. Good game against PHX although we have to bury the chances we get. Smith played great obviously but getting 40+ shots we should be able to at least help the goaltender a bit.

Definitely looking forward to what could the first year of having a healthy Kesler for the playoffs. He always seems to enter the post-season injured. If AV can manage his ice time nicely like he did for the PHX game (about 15 mins), that would be an ideal way to ease him back into play :)

3C duty for Kesler and yhe Canucks laugh all the way to the Cup.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 10 April 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#74 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

I don't actually recall that, but I will assume it to be true.

But Boston was an entirely different team than the Canucks are/were. Boston beat everyone by being mean and playing big. The otherworldly play of Thomas didn't hurt either. We might get the latter, but I'm not expecting the Canucks to play big and mean - which means we need we need our skill and speed game to come through at all times to have a chance of winning the cup. And by all times, I mean including the PP.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#75 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Booth-Roy-Hansen/Kassian would be sweet.

are the canucks contenders ?
Gillis hasnt put enough sandpaper in the lineup, had we got BOTH Clowe AND Torres i would say we would be contenders
were an injured Sedin and Kesler away from being screwed.

a big time longshot, but hey , that under the radar, no pressure , might be way better for this team.

Any team that loses one of their top 2 Centres is screwed.

If kesler and lappy made us contenders 2 years ago I'd say kesler and Roy make us better this year. Injuries can derail any teams run. We built a team and its up to Lady Luck to keep us healthy now.

#76 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Any team that loses one of their top 2 Centres is screwed.

If kesler and lappy made us contenders 2 years ago I'd say kesler and Roy make us better this year. Injuries can derail any teams run. We built a team and its up to Lady Luck to keep us healthy now.

I know, no crap. I love how a ton of people keep saying we are one injury away from ___ , every team is!
Actually if any team is likely to be able to cope with injuries, its us. We have a very deep roster of forwards that can fill positions and we seem to be constantly injured so its not like it will be a big surprise should it happen (we might actually have bigger problems if/when we are fully healthy). Sedin was out last playoffs, we pulled together an effort, lost to the eventual SC champs who loaded up at the deadline and might have been the equivalent of this years Penguins.

This year without Kesler, arguably our mvp as he plays every situation possible, we are in the position we are in now. 3rd in the west only trailing two teams that went on a tear to start the season. Not to mention the Canucks were expected to start off slow having the most players not playing hockey during the brief lockout, and given Luongo's slow starts.

Edited by adniel_g, 10 April 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#77 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

I don't actually recall that, but I will assume it to be true.

But Boston was an entirely different team than the Canucks are/were. Boston beat everyone by being mean and playing big. The otherworldly play of Thomas didn't hurt either. We might get the latter, but I'm not expecting the Canucks to play big and mean - which means we need we need our skill and speed game to come through at all times to have a chance of winning the cup. And by all times, I mean including the PP.

Boston entered the SCF with 8.2% on the PP. We entered with 26.8% - which was higher than even the '88 Oilers dynasty team's PP%. We all know what happened - we got destroyed 5 on 5, and could not convert on the PP.

PP is something that takes up so little in a game. And as we've seen time and time again, the rules of the game changes in the playoffs. To rely on a PP is to play with fire - you need to be a solid 5-on-5 team to win championships.

Lately, we've seen the team make the switch or transition to being a better 5-on-5 team. We added size, and now have 3 lines that can score. Of course, it would be nice if the PP started firing at all cylinders again. However, it should not be the bread and butter of any team that has Stanley Cup hopes.

Historically, PP opportunities vastly disappear during the playoffs. Therefore, the Canucks have a better chance than in 2011 because they don't rely so much on other teams' mistakes.

Play your own game.

I agree. It's good to see the team make a transition from being reliant on PP to finally realizing that the rules of the game change in the playoffs, and you need to be a solid 5-on-5 team. We can now roll 3 lines, have size to compete, while having retained most of our speed game. Sedins can still cause some havoc on the PP from time to time, but their play as of late of being more physical and being more challenging to play 5-on-5 is promising come playoff time.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#78 gottalovethosenucks

gottalovethosenucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Not without Chris Higgins in the lineup

#79 DisplacedBCfan

DisplacedBCfan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

How was Boston's power play in 2011?

Just sayin'

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.