The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

was watching a soccer game....

Ray Canuck

Having played competitive hockey and soccer(football) back in the early 1960's in BC at the Provincial level I can say that soccer is every bit ,if not more physically challenging than hockey. Hockey is more exciting to watch but soccer is much more difficult to play if you are capable of playing a high level in either sports.Run for 90 minutes and challenge /defend vs, 1:30 second bursts.

Soccer was as competitive and popular as hockey in BC in the 60's,when I played both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_in_Canada

Having played competitive hockey and soccer(football) back in the early 1960's in BC at the Provincial level I can say that soccer is every bit ,if not more physically challenging than hockey. Hockey is more exciting to watch but soccer is much more difficult to play if you are capable of playing a high level in either sports.Run for 90 minutes and challenge /defend vs, 1:30 second bursts.

Soccer was as competitive and popular as hockey in BC in the 60's,when I played both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_in_Canada

Ok for the soccer vs other sports discussion (which should be in a separate non-Canucks-related section), I think we should all calm down and realize a few things. Facts are facts and can't be argued, they are measurable and can be supported by evidence. Opinions are opinions and can't be expected to be changed even if presented with facts.

So based on that, here are some facts vs opinions:

Fact: soccer is the most popular sport in the world. Based on # of people following it and claim it to be their fav sport

My Opinion: soccer is the most complete sport. if you factor in excitement, strategy, breadth of different tournaments, national and international, makes it the most complete sport. There are other sports that are more exciting or more tactical, but no other sport can bring all of that together like soccer does.

Fact: soccer is the easiest sport to play

My Opinion: this is another reason why it's so great, and of course as another poster mentioned, one of the reasons it is so popular in the world

Some people's opinion: soccer is boring...

Fact: boring or exciting is generally subjective, so any sport can be boring to some people and exciting to others; if you want to find out what the majority of people in the world think, then there are ways to measure that. You can also come up with specific measures (like i mentioned in my previous post) of what constitutes exciting or boring, then see which sport gets the highest mark in that specific measure.

I think as long as we are not getting defensive and feel like we have to defend a sport or our own self is coming under question (and I admit I'm guilty of that from time to time), we can have a mature, thought provoking, and educating discussion.

What irritates me are the people who feel the need to defend a sport simply based on what they are supposed to like given their background. They feel like they need to defend hockey or Canada as a country is lame, or defend soccer or their European country is lame, or defend football/baseball or USA is lame. It has nothing to do with you or your country or your fav sport/team.

Archived