The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

was watching a soccer game....

Ray Canuck

What happen if it was a goal by Chris Higgins tip from a Chris Tanev shot.

Announcer goes Chris, and we say TANEV. And ends up being Higgins goal.... Talk about a dilemma!!!

Your loss. The Dortmund game tonight was incredible.

I agree. We do it at Celtic Park too. Gets the crowd involved. I don't think the thread is out of place here either. The problem is that Vancouverites seem reluctant to even clap or in some cases even stand up ( even after a goal...). Just look at what happened to the Southsiders.

I'm glad to see some sane people here who are already responding to the idiotic redneck comments about soccer being boring. And this coming from people who rather watch a tedious baseball or a meaningless basketball game... or any other north american sport game (hockey being an exception on the excitement part, but still doesn't match soccer on the tactics and beauty of the sport). Do people really enjoy watching commercials every 5 mins? or watching a tedious meaningless regular season game waiting for playoffs to start?

I, and the majority of the people on this planet, don't get these guys!

Oh and I agree that we could learn a lot from soccer fans:

- Creative team-supporting chants that are specific to their team as opposed to "Go [team name] Go"

- The section of the louder rowdier fans who are constantly singing and chanting, making the game much more exciting to watch, and I'm sure the home town players appreciate the constant boost of support too

- And of course, as the OP suggested, the specific players chants are awesome! I've loved the LUUUU chant. But it's so rare here. We need more player specific chants.

And this is not just a european thing. If you've been to a whitecaps game or a TFC game, you can find a similar atmosphere, and it's damn exciting to be a part of!

I'm glad to see some sane people here who are already responding to the idiotic redneck comments about soccer being boring. And this coming from people who rather watch a tedious baseball or a meaningless basketball game... or any other north american sport game (hockey being an exception on the excitement part, but still doesn't match soccer on the tactics and beauty of the sport). Do people really enjoy watching commercials every 5 mins? or watching a tedious meaningless regular season game waiting for playoffs to start?

I, and the majority of the people on this planet, don't get these guys!

It's hilarious to see the comments about soccer/futbol from a continent that thrives on Baseball, Basketball, MMA, and to some extent Football. I love the NFL because of the way they do it but the sport itself is pretty weak.

Someone doesn't understand something so criticize the hell out of it. I'm hoping this idiocy will be burnt out of our culture in the next couple decades.

It's hilarious to see the comments about soccer/futbol from a continent that thrives on Baseball, Basketball, MMA, and to some extent Football. I love the NFL because of the way they do it but the sport itself is pretty weak.

Someone doesn't understand something so criticize the hell out of it. I'm hoping this idiocy will be burnt out of our culture in the next couple decades.

Agreed! And I think it is getting a lot better with more soccer coverage here. That's what most fans actually need... with a decent enough coverage, people will start (and have already started) appreciating the game.

I'm a huge sports fan and spent the first 15 years of my life in a country that followed soccer religiously. And since I've moved here, I've been following (or at least trying to) as many sports as I can, and have done so for the past 15 years. So at least I can claim to have a more fair view on both side of the argument. I would still say if I had to pick one sport, it would be soccer, even though it's less exciting that hockey, the other aspects of it (tactics, strategy, continuous game, breadth of teams and tournaments to follow: multiple high end leagues, champions league, world cup, euro cup...) makes it a winner for me.

Right now I follow hockey a lot more cuz of living in a city with a great team and my hockey pools etc, but ideally and if the coverage was even, I'd split my time between hockey and soccer, with some left over on football, and maybe even a bit of basketball and baseball but only in the playoffs.

we have this at the nottingham panthers in the UK and other teams, the annoucer normally goes something like the goal scored at 3:52 by number 23 - ALEX and the crowd would reply Edler. so there would be no guessing who it was who scored the goal. if this was later awarded to someone else donest really matter.

I love the fact the idea is being taken seriously, was wondering if it would get any attention...

Nothing beats hockey for excitment and my post wasn't pitting sport a vs sport b

Soccer is OK if played by top level sides but watching two poor sides is painful indeed

Thankfully as a Bayern & Germany fan it hasn't been too much of an issue

Honestly if DJ Dave got on board I think it would be a great addition to live games!!

Soccer is possibly the most demanding sport in the world to play. Running 16km nonstop in a hour and a half is already not easy for the average joe, but you're also sprinting, changing direction, stopping, competing physically against other players, and being precise on the ball. It's not exactly hockey, where you skate for 40 seconds and sit for 2 minutes.

Soccer is actually a very entertaining game, people who claim otherwise is just being stereotypically north American. I'd rather watch a Dortmund - Leverkusen game than the crapshoots the Canucks put on every other game.

To the OP - that's a cool idea! It can definitely work, as it shows direct support from the fanbase, and it will get them cheering.

Good post!

Archived