The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

was watching a soccer game....

Ray Canuck

The point is that people claim soccer is boring, and then go so far as to not respond to the OP because it included soccer, or just straight up disagree with him because it involved soccer.

If you started acting like a di** to your wife for liking Football, then you wouldn't love each other. The problem is that people think it's fine to make fun of soccer (and go ahead nobody really cares), but they don't stop there, they go overboard and just start criticizing people or ideas that involve soccer.

The people who say soccer is boring should think about it more logically. What makes a sport boring or exciting? To me, it's action, not just scoring (otherwise basketball would be the most exciting sport in the world! they score 80+ points each! HOW EXCITING!).

If you understand soccer, you'll enjoy watching a great pass or a great tackle, and if you understand the game even more, you'd enjoy watching the movement of the players and how the team tries to control the field. And since it's a continuous game, if you're paying attention to all these, you'd literally be staring at the screen for the whole 90 min of the game and be happy that there is a 15min break in the middle!

I'd say the same about hockey, aside from the frequent commercial breaks (which I fast forward thanks to PVR!). If you're only interested in when the puck crosses the net, most nights you'll find hockey boring too! It's not about scoring, it's about the nice passes, the well timed hits, the power plays and penalty kills, the way the checking line shuts down the opposing team's #1 line.

What's this, some pomme bastard telling us something negative about our country?? That's never happened before...c'mon then, owner of the language we speak, tell us all about what we are doing wrong...is it the 2010 Olympics again and am I reading the post?

It's not a new adage having some loud mouthed Brit bless us with his higher ways of thinking, oh I thank you so much for enlightening me...now you can go suck a dick.. Cheers!

That's pathetic, I can make fun of anything I god damn want to, and so can you. What kind of soviet regime is this where our opinions aren't allowed... Give your head a shake bro...I've watched soccer...it sucks...it's boring.. As soon as some dude gets a foot away from another dude he's rolling around like his legs been shot off...I only had to see that a few times to totally give up on the sport all together... And the biggest reason it's the most popular sport, other than hype and tradition, is that it needs to be cold for hockey / a specific type of environment for hockey, and in contrast, all you need is some dudes severed head and a couple of cola cans for soccer..

Well, they can have their soccer, give me my hockey!

Edit: go whitecaps! (don't need to watch to care about my home team)

That's pathetic, I can make fun of anything I god damn want to, and so can you. What kind of soviet regime is this where our opinions aren't allowed... Give your head a shake bro...I've watched soccer...it sucks...it's boring.. As soon as some dude gets a foot away from another dude he's rolling around like his legs been shot off...I only had to see that a few times to totally give up on the sport all together... And the biggest reason it's the most popular sport, other than hype and tradition, is that it needs to be cold for hockey / a specific type of environment for hockey, and in contrast, all you need is some dudes severed head and a couple of cola cans for soccer..

Well, they can have their soccer, give me my hockey!

Edit: go whitecaps! (don't need to watch to care about my home team)

In my opinion soccer & football are boring. And i've both played and watched both (played football for St. Thomas More and Soccer as an after school activity waaaaaay back) Fun to play, not so much to watch.

edit: I missed part of what you were saying, in that some do not respond to the OP- as I have carelessly done as well. So, my opinion on the idea of crowd involvement as is done in soccer? I think the fans would have to stop looking at their smartphones for a little bit or we'd have very few in the crowd yelling at the appropriate time. However, if crowd participation was increased by implementing this- i'd be all for it!

You brought it on by posting that stupidly large emoticon and the derisive comment about the most popular sport in the world. You are entitled to your opinion of soccer, but at the same time, people are entitled to their opinion of your opinion. You insult what people enjoy, you have no right to get upset when people get upset with you.

It's really that simple.

I lived outside of Munich for 12 years and played soccer for at least 28yrs.

I loathe the embellishment in the sport; a total disgrace, unfortunately it is creeping into hockey culture it seems...

anyway

this thread is about how to make the experience at Rogers better, creating an atmosphere others will take notice of

like when we join in singing the anthem

My suggestion has NOTHING to do with soccer

OK I know.... soccer...

Why here in the Canucks Talk you wonder

Anyway it was a Bundesliga game and after a goal the announcer called out the players 1st name and then the stadium erupted calling the players last name....

How cool would it be

The announcer calling out Ryan's name and then 18K fans chiming in with Kesler?

We've started singing the anthem, thought this would be a cool addition to the fans interaction

good idea or lame?

PS:

if this shouldn’t be here lock block or sent it to the trash

Archived