Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Ott on Sabres fans

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

Ott talking about Buffalo fans in a yahoo article I was reading

Q. Do you just believe there’s never any place for a home team to get booed by their fans?
"I think it's completely ridiculous, to be honest with you.
“We go into other buildings, we've won a lot of games and teams should have the same amount of frustration, sold-out buildings … it's funny because they're continuing to cheer on their team. They stand behind their team. They respect the work ethic.
"It is [frustrating]. It's disheartening when we did get hemmed in our zone and they're basically mocking us when you get up past the blueline and you finally get it in their zone after, I guess you’d could say, that minute-and-a-half shift when they didn't have a scoring opportunity.
“I guess you can say it was more the mocking of my teammates and everything else that probably pissed a lot of guys off, including myself. I mean, you're a fan of the Buffalo Sabres and hopefully you come to cheer us on and motivate us to be good.
“We've got a lot of young players on this team and they definitely don't deserve to be booed – they deserve to have that excitement and energy. It's definitely not their fault for the last six years of frustration that's gone on. We want to try to right the ship here. We want to continue to improve as an organization in the community and help out a lot of things. It would be awesome to have all those fans behind us 100 percent. Have that building rocking.”

Q. There was never any booing at a Dallas game?
“It was sold out for a lot of years in Dallas, through a lot of ups and downs. I can maybe picture an instance where we were getting blown out, maybe 5-1 at the end of a period they booed us off the ice and rightfully so. But if you’re in a 0-0 game or even up sometimes … for an instance, the Boston game when it’s 1-1 and the power play doesn’t click the first time and they’re booing, yeah, I think it’s absolutely ridiculous.
"I don't care how frustrated anybody is. Negativity breeds negativity, and if you want to see a bad product on the ice, and [you] continue to boo, what do you expect? You're obviously going to get a negative result.
“It would be nice to have the positive atmosphere and maybe that will transition into a heck of a hockey game or maybe even a scoring chance or opportunity. It definitely is very uplifting when the crowd is on your side.

Full yahoo atricle here http://ca.sports.yah...06013--nhl.html

Full Ott interview here http://audio.wgr550....ch-and-more.htm

Looks like he isn't happy, wonder if he would want a trade else. Think they have more problems then the crowd in Buffalo though

Edited by MayRayDown, 09 April 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#2 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

Cue the Ott to Vancouver proposals

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif

CDC Puck - Pittsburgh Penguins

#3 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

i bet Coho is the problem somehow :bigblush:
Posted Image

#4 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

i bet Coho is the problem somehow :bigblush:

I bet his dad was booing when Cody wasn't on the ice. :P

#5 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,030 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

Fans have every right to boo if their team sucks. Paying $$$ for crap

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Doanuts

Doanuts

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

stefe ot for presedint!1!!!!1one!!

#7 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

stefe ot for presedint!1!!!!1one!!

o k

#8 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

Fans have every right to boo if their team sucks. Paying $$$ for crap

It's your right to boo, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous and stupid.

As a supporter of the team, would you not think you'd do more good trying to encourage and inspire the boys to play better?

As an example, the Vancouver Whitecaps allow fewer goals when defending in the Southside (the supporter's section) and score more goals when attacking in the South end of the field. Do you think that's merely a coincidence?

Edited by Jai604, 09 April 2013 - 10:59 PM.

RIP LB RR PD

#9 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,165 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

As a supporter of the team, would you not think you'd do more good trying to encourage and inspire the boys to play better?
As an example, the Vancouver Whitecaps allow fewer goals when defending in the Southside (the supporter's section) and score more goals when attacking in the South end of the field. Do you think that's merely a coincidence?

cue the, "their pay cheques should be inspiring enough"

Edited by Olias, 09 April 2013 - 11:01 PM.

291euxi.jpg

Praise Smooze, eat pizza!

#10 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Buffalo has really gone downhill.

#11 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,583 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

"I don't care how frustrated anybody is. Negativity breeds negativity, and if you want to see a bad product on the ice, and [you] continue to boo, what do you expect? You're obviously going to get a negative result.

Some Canucks fans need to learn this.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#12 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

Buffalo has really gone downhill.

They've got a lot of good young players. Enroth, Ennis, Foligno, Hodgson, Myers, Girgensons, Grigorenko. If they trade guys like Miller, Vanek, etc.. and get young pieces back, they could do a very quick rebuild.

#13 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

I bet his dad was booing when Cody wasn't on the ice. :P

Yes.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#14 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

Maybe they should shout 'play better!' instead.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#15 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:43 AM

If Ott has a problem with Buffalo fans, then why are people still wanting him in Vancouver? It's much worse here. He's better off playing somewhere with empty buildings.

Edited by Rey, 10 April 2013 - 02:45 AM.

#16 Starfruits

Starfruits

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:52 AM

Yeah, even the arena is quiet as library, can breed negatively...

If Ott has a problem with Buffalo fans, then why are people still wanting him in Vancouver? It's much worse here. He's better off playing somewhere with empty buildings.

He should go to Phoenix, Florida or back to Texas...

#17 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,936 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

Ott + Ehrhoff for something plz!

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#18 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

Instead of being verbally attacked for poor play, Ott can come to Vancouver and watch the Canucks get judged silently by the fans in Rogers Arena.

Jybl4aB.png

#19 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

I've heard booing at Rogers Arena. And no, it wasn't Luuing.

#20 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

Ott talking about Buffalo fans in a yahoo article I was reading

Full yahoo atricle here http://ca.sports.yah...06013--nhl.html

Full Ott interview here http://audio.wgr550....ch-and-more.htm

Looks like he isn't happy, wonder if he would want a trade else. Think they have more problems then the crowd in Buffalo though

Doesn't mean he isn't happy playing for the Sabres. He'll be with Buffalo next year in all likely hood.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#21 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

It's your right to boo, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous and stupid.

So they have no right to voice their displeasure at the crap hockey they've watching for 6 years (Ott)? You buy a ticket soley to go and encourage millionaires to keep sucking up your money and blowing it. I think Ott would do good to remember that the fans have been there a lot longer than a year. Not that it's the right thing to do but I think Buffalo fans in particular have a right to be a little upset with the state of this team.

Also, sinking a bunch of money into this team the last year and absolutely sucking is not going to be a good situation for anyone. I agree with Ott's sentiments but maybe an explanation and request from the fans would be better than calling out your employers when you've only been around for a year.

The sentence makes sense but I don't think booing or cheering really determines the level of your teams play. Rather it's a refelction of it. If your team is good your not going to boo, if your booing your team is probably not that great and the difference between winning and losing is not the booing, cheering, or lack of.

Edited by Dogbyte, 10 April 2013 - 07:46 AM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#22 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,165 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

I've heard booing at Rogers Arena. And no, it wasn't Luuing.

happens everywhere. the jets have been booed before, but the difference between us and them is we don't have players who call out the fans like how ott, and to a lesser extent, carey price when the habs had that slow start last year or so. i could only think of, i think it was kesler who mentioned the crowd but nothing more then the team started playing better. When the jets got booed i think it was andrew ladd who came out and said, they're right, we have to put in a better effort for them

it's pretty simple, if your team is putting in a weak effort and you're getting booed, you shouldn't be thinking of the crowd. that's what professionals do, zone out the fans and focus on why your team is playing like crap. times are changing and people are changing-- becoming less patient on what product they're watching

Edited by Olias, 10 April 2013 - 07:58 AM.

291euxi.jpg

Praise Smooze, eat pizza!

#23 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

happens everywhere. the jets have been booed before, but the difference between us and them is we don't have players who call out the fans like how ott, and to a lesser extent, carey price when the habs had that slow start last year or so. i could only think of, i think it was kesler who mentioned the crowd but nothing more then the team started playing better. When the jets got booed i think it was andrew ladd who came out and said, they're right, we have to put in a better effort for them

it's pretty simple, if your team is putting in a weak effort and you're getting booed, you shouldn't be thinking of the crowd. that's what professionals do, zone out the fans and focus on why your team is playing like crap. times are changing and people are changing-- becoming less patient on what product they're watching

Exactly right. Every team gets booed at one point or another. However, when it gets to the point where it was in Toronto last year or Buffalo this year, the constant booing becomes less directed towards the players and more towards the GM/ownership, that the fans are fed up and expect changes to make the team better.

Jybl4aB.png

#24 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

So the fans negativity towards the players is bad but his negativity towards the fans is fine. LOL ok.

Sorry Ott you aren't a dictator, the fans paid the big dollars to go to the game they can boo if they want.

ljfVQAn.jpg?1

#25 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

But the Sabres suck, I would boo them too. Quit whining Ott
Posted Image

#26 wizeman

wizeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

Doesn't mean he isn't happy playing for the Sabres. He'll be with Buffalo next year in all likely hood.

I agree. In fact I think hes auditioning for Captain.

#27 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

Hodgson's dad will put an end to the booing. That or he'll make sure the fans get traded somewhere else.

Chopper-for-life-7-600x200.png

If we don't even dump one veteran, I'll stop posting on CDC until October 7th. It's that disappointing. - Tom Sestito, June 27th.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.