The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Paper Towels : Exxon's State of the Art oil spill response in Arkansas

PlayoffHockey

Paper Towels : The Industry Standard For State Of The Art Oil Spill Clean Up

new photos and video from the Arkansas spill showing a scene so bad it's surreal: Oil is now in nearby Lake Conway's wetlands, either intentionally diverted by Exxon to keep it out of sight and away from the (few members of the) media (who have managed to sneak into the area), or naturally drained there from the company's power washing of streets and sidewalks. There is nothing quite like the sight of their solution: a ragged mess of paper towels, specially designed to soak up oil but not water, laid hopefully on the putrid ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT_wQpag6og

paper_towels.jpg

Ships are equipped with them in order to quickly suck up spills - I've seen them literally thrown on water in order to help remove spilled oil. They really are quite absorbent.

That said, this is still totally ineffective once the oil has infiltrated into the soil and the main point still stands.

I live in Alberta (yuck, I know) for work reasons and have spent some time working in the oilfield and from what I've seen from the level of professionalism and expertise here....we should all pay verrrrry close attention to what these companies are doing because they are full of the young, inept and just plain lazy. I worked on one small spill in eastern alberta that was handled so poorly that it made me wonder just how bad things were in other areas.

What scares me is if the Enbridge pipeline spills into a river or creek. Booms and skimmers are useless in fast moving water. All the oil companies hope that the oil will quickly deposit on the shores, evaporate, or dissolve into the water. I saw this first hand in the Pine River spill in Northern BC. Pembina had crews working for months "cleaning" oil from the shores of the Pine River.

Archived